***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
When I first starting using my DE (Muhle R106) I suffered razor burns because I was pressing down too hard.

It is important to remember to use basically the weight of the razor when using it.

I also currently use the Personna platinum blades, which do the job well enough.

Although I am now considering moving to something else because I want a closer shave.

Soldato
When I first starting using my DE (Muhle R106) I suffered razor burns because I was pressing down too hard.

It is important to remember to use basically the weight of the razor when using it.

I think this really does depend on your beard type and skin sensitivity. I have thick stubble so it actually does require a degree of pressure. Not hard, but certainly more than the weight of just the razor.

If you have thin stubble and sensitive skin, then absolutely I agree you would be right.

If you have thin stubble and tough skin you can probably do what you want.

And if you have thick stubble and sensitive skin then you are going to need to be extra careful.

Soldato
A few small nicks (nothing that cold water and alum block didn't sort out) and a bit of razor burn afterwards (and still a bit sore now while typing this), probably more so than my cartridge razor shave... But that's sort of expected with learning a new technique for DE etc... Overall I'd say it went well. Probably just need to work on angle and technique a bit.

Any tips?

Yep, it'll take you a couple of shaves to get used to it. I'd suggest taking a pic of your mug and comparing it in a months time. You should see your skin is looking better.
I don't use anything after a shave except the alum block and let it dry naturally rather than attacking my face with aftershave or balm.

Caporegime
Well I've found my affordable way now.

Boldking razor (waaaaay cheaper than Gillette Fusion)
Elemis Time For Men Shave Oil
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shave cream

Wash face, pat dry, oil up, lather up with badger brush, first pass down, rinse, re-lather, second pass across.

Just as quick as with Gillette, less irritation as the spaced out blades of the Boldking don't tug/catch as much as Gillette.

Happy middle ground as it's much quicker than full on DE, and much cheaper than Gillette Fusion. Woohoo!!

Soldato
Just looking for some different blades as I've got Derbys (not a good blade really) Gillette 7 o'clock yellows (fine but not great, only last 2 shaves) and Feathers (really good but a better shave 2nd time as they are quite aggressive on the 1st shave).

I'm looking at the Personna Mediprep or Wilkinson Sword, any others I should possibly get?

Soldato
Yeah I think it is all just a technique thing at the moment. I probably started off thinking "yeah, remember you don't need pressure", but probably by the end I was maybe applying too much pressure from being used to that with the cartridge razor

Will give it another go Sunday probably and see how it goes then!

Advice here seems to be that it will take a few times as you say and not just to give up after two attempts haha :D

Soldato
Advice here seems to be that it will take a few times as you say and not just to give up after two attempts haha :D

It does take a little while to perfect your technique but it is definitely worth the effort, I used to get a terrible rash on my neck and now nothing, when I first started DE shaving I used the plastic Wilkinson Sword handle (now being used by my brother) I got from Boots and it was a million times better than the Fusions.

Soldato
Yup looking forward to getting a comfortable shave from it! :)

Just looking for something for travelling

Anyone got any advice for the brush? I see some tubes but not entirely obvious how you get the brush in there without bending the bristles?

There is this which doesn't look nice but works (according to reviews), but out of stock :(

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/muhle-protective-shaving-brush-tube

Will probably get this for the razor as people say it fits the DE89 well (I think the Muhle R89 head is identical):

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/muhle-razor-blade-guard

Associate
Can anyone recommend an electronic trimmer that allows me to cut a line accurately on my neck and cut the hair below very very short similar to a blade? No matter how much I try I still get irritation when I shave under that area?

Soldato
Just took delivery of 30 feather blades, and two tubes of ingram blue. :D (love ingram blue, cannot reccomend it enough)

switching from derby blades (still got about 30ish left :rolleyes:).. i just dont find them sharp enough :/

edit: if anyone here wants the rest of the derby's i got, trust me a message and i'll send them on F.O.C :)

Associate
Any recommendations for shaving back? Usually I get my partner to do it, but it would be more convenient if I could just do it as I wish.

I tried zip tying my edwin DE razor to the end of a bamboo stick (not kidding), but it didnt go to well.

Soldato
Just looking for something for travelling

Anyone got any advice for the brush? I see some tubes but not entirely obvious how you get the brush in there without bending the bristles?

There is this which doesn't look nice but works (according to reviews), but out of stock :(

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/muhle-protective-shaving-brush-tube

Will probably get this for the razor as people say it fits the DE89 well (I think the Muhle R89 head is identical):

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/muhle-razor-blade-guard

I just put mine in the wash kit, its been fine so for the past god knows how many times I've done that. Any bent bristles sort themselves out when wet, used and dried.
Never protected my razor head either, I keep a pack of blades in my washkit and don't have one in the razor before travelling.

Should any damage occur, then I guess I'll have to replace things :)

Soldato
Any recommendations for shaving back? Usually I get my partner to do it, but it would be more convenient if I could just do it as I wish.

I tried zip tying my edwin DE razor to the end of a bamboo stick (not kidding), but it didnt go to well.

Wow that's amazing.

I would have thought this would be a job for the mach 3, you surely aren't likely to get irritation on your back, and will no possibility of controlling the angle of the blade, a cartridge is definitely going to be the best choice.

Soldato
Thanks Bickaxe and Maundie

I saw that exact tube but people say it is quite large and the brush rattles around. I may just go with Bickaxe's method of keeping it carefully in the wash bag as I probably won't travel with it much

Soldato

Have it waxed so you don't have to shave it as often, a good wax will see you through up to 8 weeks.

Associate
Wow that's amazing.

I would have thought this would be a job for the mach 3, you surely aren't likely to get irritation on your back, and will no possibility of controlling the angle of the blade, a cartridge is definitely going to be the best choice.

Ah maybe you're right. I don't have any "modern" razors in my house, so i just tried what I had to hand.

If I try this way again, ill get a gilette.

Have it waxed so you don't have to shave it as often, a good wax will see you through up to 8 weeks.

Cheers, I had put this off due to thinking of the pain. I guess I should at least try it once though...

Thanks gents.

Soldato
Just looking for some different blades as I've got Derbys (not a good blade really) Gillette 7 o'clock yellows (fine but not great, only last 2 shaves) and Feathers (really good but a better shave 2nd time as they are quite aggressive on the 1st shave).

I'm looking at the Personna Mediprep or Wilkinson Sword, any others I should possibly get?

Astra SP's, 7 O'Clock Black's and Polsilver Super Iridium (or Super Iridium - same blade) are the best blades for me. All three are smooth and sharp.

Back
Top Bottom