Forza Horizon 3 just shown at E3

Associate
Nope, not at all. I don't have any idea why you think it sounds like that. I downloaded it to my second SSD first time and it failed, So I put it on my Windows SSD. Then I tried again after launch, and now again after the last patch.

only because ive had similar issues, being stupid i purchased the game on an account from CJS, wont be doing that, thats for sure, taken me 4 days to get a refund after threatening them with trading standards! awful company..

Soldato
OP
well this is a nice find. Was looking on the Forza 3 PC support forum and found two interesting fixes. One to fix the blurry photo mode, and two, to really ramp up your fps. Not sure if anyone has read it or posted in here.

For blurry photo mode, the fix for this is - as soon as the game launches, get it into full screen ASAP, maximise the window or alt+tab as soon as the game starts to load. You want it in full screen ASAP!!

Second, to fix the low fps. When at the start of a race, alt+tab to put it into windowed mode, then open up a google chrome web page then close it. Go back to the game in windowed mode, and you should see a huge bump in fps. When you do, then alt+tab again to go into full screen and voila. Doing this I've got my game running locked at 72fps everywhere @1440p (apart from surfers paradise but I believe this is just crud coding and will never be fixed)

just a heads up just in case anyone missed it.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently level 400, with 146 cars in my garage, including all available HE variants. Also sitting on 17M cash, with 20M fans and showcases at 100%. Feeling burnt out now!

Soldato
only because ive had similar issues, being stupid i purchased the game on an account from CJS, wont be doing that, thats for sure, taken me 4 days to get a refund after threatening them with trading standards! awful company..

I bought mine directly through the windows store so I shouldn't have any issues like that. Thanks for trying to help though.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
well this is a nice find. Was looking on the Forza 3 PC support forum and found two interesting fixes. One to fix the blurry photo mode, and two, to really ramp up your fps. Not sure if anyone has read it or posted in here.

For blurry photo mode, the fix for this is - as soon as the game launches, get it into full screen ASAP, maximise the window or alt+tab as soon as the game starts to load. You want it in full screen ASAP!!

Second, to fix the low fps. When at the start of a race, alt+tab to put it into windowed mode, then open up a google chrome web page then close it. Go back to the game in windowed mode, and you should see a huge bump in fps. When you do, then alt+tab again to go into full screen and voila. Doing this I've got my game running locked at 72fps everywhere @1440p (apart from surfers paradise but I believe this is just crud coding and will never be fixed)

Two very random fixes there! But hey, worth a shot I guess.

Underboss

You forgot standing on one leg whilst whistling the tune from McGyver.

Soldato
Disappointing. Today is the first chance I've had to play the PC version since the update. It was absolutely fine for me before - no real issues at all other than the odd fps dip but nothing severe. Now it's a stuttering mess, to the point I'd rather play it on the Xbox One instead.

Capping it at 30fps seems to help, but I have a 5820K at 4.4GHz and 32GB of RAM with a GeForce 1080 so I shouldn't have to stick with 30fps - and again I might as well just stick with playing it on the Xbox One. However, I did update the drivers and I see various people saying their performance is worse with new drivers so maybe I should try reverting first.

Edit: And now for some reason, after going back into Windows to check something out while the game was still running, then switching back to the game and putting it back to 60fps, it seems to be running fine...for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
You forgot standing on one leg whilst whistling the tune from McGyver.

I'd rather wait for a patch;p It's their job to fix it, especially that they're charging so much money for the game.

Rolled back the driver and it's better now in Surfers (not ideal but less stuttering and some drops to 50), most other places usually sit at 60fps. It even launched on the firs try, which is unusual:rolleyes:

Still, this is the most problems I've had with a single title in the last two years, which is a shame because it's a nice open-world racer. Not many of those on PC.

Soldato
I put Forza 6 on on Saturday to run a few laps of Bathurst before the V8 Supercar race on TV.....I have to say the cars sound a lot better in F6 than they do in Horizon 3.

disappointing

Soldato
OP
Two very random fixes there! But hey, worth a shot I guess.

Defo works, can get 72fps with the fps cap quite a bit now. If I take off the cap I actually hit between 80 an 90 which is fantastic for a single 390 but the frame feels more choppy in doing so. If I don't do this little trick, then I average about 40fps in the open world.

Here look. Video not quite finished editing yet but you get idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
This game's definitely borked technically. I get slightly better fps in Surfers with MSAA×8 than with x2 (and less stuttering)... I can even push 4k DSR MSAAx8 with not much difference in framerates... Rest stays at 60fps 90% of the time. Not to mention Surfers does sit at 60fps sometimes, even when driving through the main lane. This makes me think there really are some underlying issues with encryption/DRM, CPU management and the entire UWP platform. I'm fairly certain that had this been built on trusty DX11 and released standalone or through Steam, we would've seen none of that happening.

I'm enjoying it more and more (20 hours in and only 14% done, taking it slow;p) but the issues with launching and occasional crashing still **** me off. Pop-in is rather bad as well. I hope they're still working on patches as I can see myself playing the game for quite some time.

Also, has anyone noticed those terrible updating shadows in the rainforest?

Soldato
Yeah, the cars and skies look excellent, timelapses on YT feel almost real. However, some of the environment is underwhelming (shadows, some trees and bad pop-in).

Also, the map doesn't feel as big as I hoped.

All of the above are fairly minor complaints, though.

Associate
This game's definitely borked technically. I get slightly better fps in Surfers with MSAA×8 than with x2 (and less stuttering)... I can even push 4k DSR MSAAx8 with not much difference in framerates... Rest stays at 60fps 90% of the time. Not to mention Surfers does sit at 60fps sometimes, even when driving through the main lane. This makes me think there really are some underlying issues with encryption/DRM, CPU management and the entire UWP platform. I'm fairly certain that had this been built on trusty DX11 and released standalone or through Steam, we would've seen none of that happening.

I'm enjoying it more and more (20 hours in and only 14% done, taking it slow;p) but the issues with launching and occasional crashing still **** me off. Pop-in is rather bad as well. I hope they're still working on patches as I can see myself playing the game for quite some time.

Also, has anyone noticed those terrible updating shadows in the rainforest?

Yep, they pop in and out! Rubbish shadows in the forest areas.

Soldato
They should ask the makers of gears for performance tips :o now that is how a game should run.

Gears is superbly optimised, I was totally blown away when I saw the benchmarks. A 970 can practically push ultra at 1440p...

Forza is my biggest disappointment in the last couple of years in terms of technical issues, really hope Gears sets a trend for future UWP titles. They should be absolutely impeccable given the pricing.

Associate
Wish there was something else you could spend skill points on, seems pointless once you've unlocked everything. Only ones that are used are the car & upgrade discounts and the triple skill xp if I want to farm some levels, other than that I have a couple of hundred points just sitting there wasted.

Would be nice if you could convert them into a wheelspin or something.

Back
Top Bottom