Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I know it should be about justice. And justice is what the victims want and not what the general public who are safely removed from such horrors judge and form opinion.

You are rationalising your wish for vengeance. That's not a reasonable thing to do. If you think vengeance should be legal, have the integrity to stand behind your view honestly.

Are you really ready for the horrors that would happen if anyone could do anything they want and nobody else was allowed to even object let alone do anything to stop it? If you remove the general public from making decisions about the law, anyone has the right to declare themself a victim and use that as an excuse for whatever they want. So, for example, if some psycho decides you looked at them funny they can freely rape, torture and murder you. Justice is what the victim wants, right? In this hypothetical case, they wanted to rape, torture and murder you, so if justice is what the victim wants then that's what justice is.

Or are you saying that you should be absolute dictator of the law so you and you alone get to decide who is a victim and what justice is?

Soldato
So how many people saying no could sit in a court and listen to a tape of there child being raped tortured and murdered crying for there mummy and still feel the same, sorry but I know what I would like to do to the culprit and have no shame for my thoughts on it

Soldato
So how many people saying no could sit in a court and listen to a tape of there child being raped tortured and murdered crying for there mummy and still feel the same, sorry but I know what I would like to do to the culprit and have no shame for my thoughts on it

So you think justice should be decided on an emotional level? I don't.

Associate
That's not what I'm saying, to me punishment should fit the crime.

That's exactly what you were saying. How is listening to a tape of someone being raped going to have anything but an emotional effect on someone? This is the reason Judges are responsible for sentencing.

Even if the system was perfect I wouldn't want the death penalty.

Man of Honour

You're obviously not sorry, so why are you pretending to be?

Since I am human, I am not completely immune to bloodlust. Unlike you, I don't think bloodlust should be the basis of law.

Out of interest, would you abolish the legal system entirely? You don't need a legal system for vengeance, so why bother wasting resources on one?

Man of Honour

such utter BS. nothing but Appeal to emotion fallacy, which gets you know where.

why do you think such emotion and bloodlust should be art of the legal system, its why victims should have no say on punishment.
everything we know about human phycology, goes against you, not only does it not achieve anything, people will re offend more and you have a downward spiralling legal system.
instead we should be implementing a Scandinavian or better system, not going the complete opposite.

why do so many people want to keep crime happening, just for some sense of vengeance/blood lust, is disgusting that your thoughts are so swayed that way, you are blind to logic.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

Last edited:
Soldato
You're obviously not sorry, so why are you pretending to be?

Since I am human, I am not completely immune to bloodlust. Unlike you, I don't think bloodlust should be the basis of law.

Out of interest, would you abolish the legal system entirely? You don't need a legal system for vengeance, so why bother wasting resources on one?

no I would not abolish the legal system however I would modify it so the courts could have the option of the death penalty.

lots of interesting comments but still no answer on how you wold feel if it were you on the receiving end, ive give it some more thought and I still feel the same, I don't know how I could have looked the parents of Pauline Reade, John Kilbride, Keith Bennett and Lesley Ann Downey in the eye and tell them justice had been done.

so some of you think I'm a evil man driven by bloodlust and vengeance, well so be it, its not going to give me sleepless nights I can assure you

Associate
lots of interesting comments but still no answer on how you wold feel if it were you on the receiving end, ive give it some more thought and I still feel the same, I don't know how I could have looked the parents of Pauline Reade, John Kilbride, Keith Bennett and Lesley Ann Downey in the eye and tell them justice had been done.

This has been answered numerous times. In that case you would be far too emotionally involved to make any kind of balanced rational decision. You would be completely driven by revenge.

Soldato
This has been answered numerous times. In that case you would be far too emotionally involved to make any kind of balanced rational decision. You would be completely driven by revenge.

don't get me wrong I'm always open to the concept that I could be wrong but ive read nothing to make me want to change my vote to a no from a yes, what some call revenge some will call fair justice but my opinion still stands and I don't think its going to change any time soon.

ive given my vote in the poll, everyone is entitled to think what they like but I don't want to spend my weekend arguing defending my stance on the subject so will bow out of the thread and leave it there

Permabanned
For those that say the death penalty is not a deterrent can they explain why drug dealers and users are prostrating themselves at the feet of authority asking for clemency, since President Duterte of the Philippines made the offences punishable by death? So successful has the deterrent been Indonesia are planning a similar Draconian deterrent and China voice approval.

I'd also like to see the death penalty reinstated for treason, especially when we have so many pseudo British citizens enacting atrocities against the State and its people.

The talk of it costing more to euthanase someone being higher than keeping them incarcerated for life is purely down to the legal system in the US allowing countless ongoing appeals. Luckily we in Great Britain are slowly getting a grip on legal aid abuse, much to the discombobulation of the more Left leaning members of the legal profession who have grown fat on its once unfettered distribution.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
don't get me wrong I'm always open to the concept that I could be wrong but ive read nothing to make me want to change my vote to a no from a yes, what some call revenge some will call fair justice but my opinion still stands and I don't think its going to change any time soon.

ive given my vote in the poll, everyone is entitled to think what they like but I don't want to spend my weekend arguing defending my stance on the subject so will bow out of the thread and leave it there

again you point is rubbish.
appeal to emotion fallacies.
for a justice system we know doesn't work, that makes more criminals that commit more crimes. that perputates crime.

yeah great thoughts.

why does it matter what people feel when they are emotional, why should they be listened to. that doesn't make a fair justice system, it makes a terrible justice system. Usa is not something to look upto, its one of the worst justice systems in the world.

Soldato
again you point is rubbish.
appeal to emotion fallacies.
for a justice system we know doesn't work, that makes more criminals that commit more crimes. that perputates crime.

yeah great thoughts.

why does it matter what people feel when they are emotional, why should they be listened to. that doesn't make a fair justice system, it makes a terrible justice system. Usa is not something to look upto, its one of the worst justice systems in the world.

nope I still feel the same

Soldato
I haven't read the last few pages because it's probably full of rubbish but my answer is NO, absolutely not. But i do believe Life should mean Life

The USA proves beyond a shadow of doubt that it doesn't work as a deterrent and it also costs more to the public in legal proceedings to hold them for 20 years and then kill them then holding them for Life

Man of Honour
nope I still feel the same

an utterly illogical stance., why does it matter what you feel, why cant you use logic and common sense, with noting to back it up other than obvious fallacies. Blinded by your need for vengeance, all you and those who think like you achieve is more pain and suffering for all and unfortunately the uk government listen to people like you. So the rest of us enjoy more crime thanks to your silly but it feels right.

i'll post this ink again, I suggest you read it. We know how to make a better justice system, we know it works, we even know scientifically why it works. Yet you want to keep ignoring that for some sense of vengeance.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I haven't read the last few pages because it's probably full of rubbish but my answer is NO, absolutely not. But i do believe Life should mean Life

Absolutely, life should mean life. As I've mentioned in this thread, I lost a cousin to a murderous BF and all he got was 12.5 years. They called that a life sentence. WTF? How is 12.5 years a life sentence? Anyway, I think a life sentence should be nothing less than 40 years. Preferably prison without parole.

Back
Top Bottom