Which nvme external enclosure?

Soldato
@darael odd thats a decent setup should be no issues with it. only thing left is try different cable.
Just ordered the same enclosure as you. If this one corrupts data, it's going straight back and I'll just have to live with a dodgy connection on my Sabrent EC-TFNE. :(

I'm half tempted to try a PCIe USB-C card to see if that fixes anything.

Soldato
OP
Just ordered the same enclosure as you. If this one corrupts data, it's going straight back and I'll just have to live with a dodgy connection on my Sabrent EC-TFNE. :(

I'm half tempted to try a PCIe USB-C card to see if that fixes anything.
Odd that ec-tfne uses jmicron control chip which has loads of reports of issues. If its working fine for you then things really are topsy turvy

Soldato
what firmware version is that rstech running?
That's something I didn't check. I see that Sabrent offers a firmware update tool for the EC-SNVE that we've both ordered. So if I get any corruption issues, I'll see if an update is available and whether or not it fixes the problem.

Soldato
OP
That's something I didn't check. I see that Sabrent offers a firmware update tool for the EC-SNVE that we've both ordered. So if I get any corruption issues, I'll see if an update is available and whether or not it fixes the problem.

have a look at this forum post onwards:

apparently generic realtek firmware can be flashed which is more updated then sabrents own firmware. this firmware should also work for your RSTECH enclosure if it uses the realtek bridge chip. huge changelog also posted there with some rather interesting fixes.

Soldato
have a look at this forum post onwards:

apparently generic realtek firmware can be flashed which is more updated then sabrents own firmware. this firmware should also work for your RSTECH enclosure if it uses the realtek bridge chip. huge changelog also posted there with some rather interesting fixes.
Funnily enough I've also been reading the same thread just now, only to come back and see that you've replied with the very link I was reading. :D

I sent the RSTECH back when I experienced data corruption problems, so I can't use that to test the firmware. But when the new Sabrent arrives (possibly today, even though I chose standard delivery) I will see what happens with the drive and whether or not it corrupts the data. I will then try a Samsung M.2 to see if the problem is reproduced - that way, I can see if my Sabrent M.2 drive is causing the problem or not. I'll then update the firmware and test both drives again.

If I still get data corruption, then it's time to try a new cable. But I'll only buy a new cable if I'm happy that the drive's connector is stable enough that a mere brush doesn't disconnect it.

Soldato
OP
The cable i got is a bit dodgey when used with phone. If wiggled phone stops charging and reconnects. I could do with a higher quality one but the cables i have are type c and usb2 speed only. Usb3 speed ones cost a lot.

Soldato
The cable i got is a bit dodgey when used with phone. If wiggled phone stops charging and reconnects. I could do with a higher quality one but the cables i have are type c and usb2 speed only. Usb3 speed ones cost a lot.
Have you received your Sabrent enclosure yet? Mine is coming this afternoon. :cool:

Which cable are you using, a third-party one? I agree with the prices of the cables, though it's probably because they have chips in them.

Soldato
Enclosure arrived, but still corrupts files even after updating it.

It came with v1.23.5 firmware installed and I transferred a large amount of files (about 29GB from Snappy Driver Installer Origin) to my desktop. Verification failed. Updated to v1.25.7 using the tool on Sabrent's website, copied files over and the verification failed once more. Updated to v1.29.12 and verification still fails. :(

I did notice that the LED stopped working after updating it to v1.29.12. So I just copied the text found in SA8307.cfg, that came with Sabrent's tool and overwrote all the text in IB-180MC-C31.cfg, which came with Realtek's tool.

I tried another cable which I know works fine and this gave quite erratic results. Interestingly enough I tried the very short cable that came with the enclosure and I didn't get a single error.

I genuinely believe that the Realtek controller is flawed by not outputting enough voltage for longer cables.

Soldato
OP
Power output would depend on usb port from computer and cable wire awg. At this point you could try a usb hub and see if that sorts everything. If it works then you know its lack of power from usb port.

I have a usb power analyser so will test it when my enclosure arrives. Also can be down to the ssd itself on how much power it uses.

Short cable working means its either a power loss issue with the long cable or shielding issues on data side of the cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@darael got my enclosure today and testing with sk hynix 128gb ssd i seem to be stuck on usb2 speeds lol. Will try another port in few mins but looks like the cheapo cables i got may not be certified for proper usb 3 5g speed. May have to invest in a proper cable

Soldato
OP
dont think its my cable. i just tested it in my haswell h81 mobo pc and here is the result:

=========================== USB Port17 ===========================

Connection Status : 0x01 (Device is connected)
Port Chain : 3-17

========================== Summary =========================
Vendor ID : 0x0BDA (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
Product ID : 0x9210
USB Version : 3.2 Gen 2
Port maximum Speed : SuperSpeed
Device maximum Speed : SuperSpeed
Device Connection Speed : SuperSpeed
Self powered : no
Demanded Current : 896 mA
Used Endpoints : 3

works at usb 3 speed getting 266mb/s (its a slow ass nvme)

in my amd x470 mobo:

=========================== USB Port3 ===========================

Connection Status : 0x01 (Device is connected)
Port Chain : 3-3
Properties : 0x01
IsUserConnectable : yes
PortIsDebugCapable : no
PortHasMultiCompanions : no
PortConnectorIsTypeC : no
ConnectionIndex : 0x03 (Port 3)
CompanionIndex : 0
CompanionHubSymLnk : USB#ROOT_HUB30#5&333cdc5e&0&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
CompanionPortNumber : 0x07 (Port 7)
-> CompanionPortChain : 3-7

========================== Summary =========================
Vendor ID : 0x0BDA (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
Product ID : 0x9210
USB Version : 2.10
Port maximum Speed : High-Speed (Companion Port 3-7 supports SuperSpeed)
Device maximum Speed : SuperSpeedPlus or higher
Device Connection Speed : High-Speed
Self powered : no
Demanded Current : 500 mA
Used Endpoints : 3

its working at usb 2.1 speed. tried different ports too inc the asmedia mobo controller ports and same issue. i see demanded current is different on the 2 machines. i got other icybox and orico 2.5 sata to usb enclosures that work at full usb 3 speeds so not sure whats going on here.

Soldato
OP
this is now sorted. was the cable:

sabrent-nvme.png

getting full 5gig speedish now. cable i replaced it with is still a cheapo no brand one. i suspect its got interference issues or maybe some pins inside it dont connect or something. will invest in a decent branded cable at some point.

Soldato
OP
some more info for people who get tis sabrent enclosure. dont forget to take off the thermal pad cover otherwise you gonna get higher temps:

snve1.jpg

smart works on the sabrent enclosure and trim also works when i ran defrag it did trim the drive.

also dunno much about this crappy drive i got, its not even got a controller chip or anything. just a single flash chip on the stick lol:

snve2.jpg

Soldato
Which make and model USB cable are you using and how long is it? My suspicion still lies with the length of cable and it possibly needs to be a high quality cable to work at lengths of 2 metres.

Soldato
OP
Cheapo Ebay cable 2 for 5 quid deal 1mtr long.
The 2nd cable is working fine but will invest in a a higher quality one probably get a juicebitz one since i got a few of those in usb 2 speed and they seem decent. Cant be playing 50 quid for a monster cable lol.

Soldato
Cheapo Ebay cable 2 for 5 quid deal 1mtr long.
The 2nd cable is working fine but will invest in a a higher quality one probably get a juicebitz one since i got a few of those in usb 2 speed and they seem decent. Cant be playing 50 quid for a monster cable lol.
I checked their cables and they do sell a Pro cable on their website, which supports USB 3.0 Gen 2 speeds (10Gbps). I've actually been considering USB4 cables to eliminate the possibility of cables hindering the connection. But at the prices I've seen, I think I will be considering Gen 2x2 cables first. :eek:

@subbytna owns a company called Subbytech which also sells USB C cables. He very generously sent me a cable (and some Haribo) to test earlier this year. Although it only supported speeds on 480Mbps, it was a very good quality cable and I still use it now. He is expecting 20Gbps (Gen 2x2?) cables very soon and I've offered to buy one from him to test it out. When I do order the cable, I will re-order the above Sabrent NVME enclosure again for testing. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Iv ordered the juicebitz cable 5gig rated but will check into @subbytna and see what hes got.
Drives been working good with the spare no brand cable i had lying around but lessons learnt. Buy cheap buy twice.

Back
Top Bottom