Which nvme external enclosure?

Soldato
I checked their cables and they do sell a Pro cable on their website, which supports USB 3.0 Gen 2 speeds (10Gbps). I've actually been considering USB4 cables to eliminate the possibility of cables hindering the connection. But at the prices I've seen, I think I will be considering Gen 2x2 cables first. :eek:

@subbytna owns a company called Subbytech which also sells USB C cables. He very generously sent me a cable (and some Haribo) to test earlier this year. Although it only supported speeds on 480Mbps, it was a very good quality cable and I still use it now. He is expecting 20Gbps (Gen 2x2?) cables very soon and I've offered to buy one from him to test it out. When I do order the cable, I will re-order the above Sabrent NVME enclosure again for testing. :cool:

Yep 2m and 3m samples of USB C to USB C 3.2 gen2 20Gbps cables being sent to me this week.

Soldato
OP
Yep 2m and 3m samples of USB C to USB C 3.2 gen2 20Gbps cables being sent to me this week.
thats interesting. do you have any usb a to c cables that can do 10g or more? im after a shorter length one now, 20 or 30cm.

my juicebitz cables arrived today and everything is working flawlessly now. very happy with sabrent enclosure.

Soldato
thats interesting. do you have any usb a to c cables that can do 10g or more? im after a shorter length one now, 20 or 30cm.

my juicebitz cables arrived today and everything is working flawlessly now. very happy with sabrent enclosure.
No, we don't have that cable. Decided to jump to the head of the tech queue and get the 20Gbps gen 2 cables right from the off.

Glad you're sorted. Look me up another time

Soldato
OP
No, we don't have that cable. Decided to jump to the head of the tech queue and get the 20Gbps gen 2 cables right from the off.

Glad you're sorted. Look me up another time
i dont have a usb C to C cable in my collection so that is the next one on my list. your website doesnt give any info on the cable specs such as wire gauge used and if its shielded etc. would be good to have those specs.

Soldato
i dont have a usb C to C cable in my collection so that is the next one on my list. your website doesnt give any info on the cable specs such as wire gauge used and if its shielded etc. would be good to have those specs.

We're getting a new website done just now as it happens. I'll get more technical specs for the product descriptions, in the new site.

Soldato
As @subbytna was kind enough to send me a sample cable, last night I re-ordered the same Sabrent EC-SNVE enclosure. I ordered it quickly, as it had come down in price and I didn't want to miss out for the sake of a day or two.

I've been testing it today with my own USB-C cable (not the one sent by subbytna) and I still get errors, even after updating the firmware to v1.29.12. I'm praying that the new cable from subbytna will stop corrupt file transfers and I will happily cut my old one up.

I must say that I am disappointed with the errors I'm getting, because I really like this enclosure. It's solid as a rock and it's yet to drop out, even after moving it around.

Soldato
very odd. im getting no errors at all and all data copies to and from the enclosure with no issues. cable is last thing to check now i guess.
I'm thinking if the new cable doesn't work, then perhaps it's a driver issue? I'm half tempted to do a clean install on a spare drive to see. But it's Sunday evening and all that. :(

Soldato
As long as your using latest driver there should be no issues. Check if your drivers are uptodate
Something else I didn't mention, was that I also used a different M.2 drive this time, too. I have a Sabrent M.2 drive in the Sabrent EC-TFNE enclosure. This time I didn't take the Sabrent drive out of the enclosure for testing in the EC-SNVE, I used a Samsung Pro M.2.

So that now also rules out the Sabrent drive, leaving either the motherboard, drivers or something else causing the problem.

Soldato
can you test it on a friends computer?
I suppose I could use the same cable on a friend's computer. I will see how I get on when my new cable arrives and test them both on another computer if i need to.

It's just dawned on me, while typing this post, that I only have one PC which has USB-C ports. :o

Associate
juicebitz cables have been my go to for a long time, you have to kepe an eye on the ratings etc, especially if all you need is charging cables no point paying through the nose for high transfer speeds, a couple of others i've used in the past (and now still) are Voltz and Kenable

Thanks for the link to the other sites thread and for the firmware info, i didn't know there were updatres, will have to have a look see

Soldato
Just updating that I have received and test the new cable on my computer and a friend's. Sadly it's not worked out for me, but this is something me and @subbytna are still trying to work on.

I think the Realtek chipset is very flaky. I have tried a combination of drives, enclosures and drives - the one thing that consistently works is my current cable and enclosure, regardless of drive inside it.

Soldato
thats very odd. mine works on all the systems iv tried it on. my x470 ryzen, and h81 haswell xeon too. also works fine on hp prodesk g4 which is 8th gen intel.
Are you using a USB C port, or a USB A port? I'm connecting directly to a USB C port on my motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom