Which nvme external enclosure?

Soldato
whats your next step now?
I don't have one at this point. There is bound to be another chipset released, which I hope is far more reliable than the current Realtek offering. In the meantime, I'll just bide my time with my current setup, flaky as it is.

Soldato
OP
Very odd. The realtek chipset is supposed to be the best one compared to jmicron and phsion. Did you manage to try it on different computers? Odd it works fine for me on every machine iv tried so far

Associate
I've just got a ORICO 20Gbps NVMe Enclosure (USB 3.2 Gen2x2) with a 1TB SN570, but connecting this to my X570-P USB slot which should be USB 3.2 Gen2 it keeps disconnecting, when it should be fine at 10Gbps. It worked for abit copying at 800 for afew seconds then 0, rinse and repeat....
Tried another cable but same thing, tries to initialise but craps out.. When I connect to the USB 3.2 Gen 1 port it works (steady at 398mb/s)
Anyone had similar issues, not sure if its the mobo (latest bios/updates, seems like Asus are crap with USB) or just the enclosure?!

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a thread bump.

I decided to dabble again with USB C M.2 enclosures, so I bought an ORICO PWM2-G2. The Sabrent enclosure still works with the same USB C to USB C cable from last years and most USB A to USB C cables.

As expected, the ORICO enclosure doesn't work properly with my USB C to USB C cable, causing data corruption. I use FC to compare the files after copying and this shows corruption. It works fine with USB A to USB C cables and this is fine with me, as it means I can carry a fast portable drive with me when I need to. The connection on the Sabrent is just too unreliable and the slightest movement on the connection with any cable will disconnect the drive.

So the Sabrent has a permanent home on my case and the ORICO is my new workhorse. Now I just need to find a decent USB C cable. :o

Has anybody had experience updating the Realtek firmware? I'd also like to know how to make a complete backup of the current firmware and settings before trying to update anything.

Soldato
OP
iv got another one of these orico enclosures using the realtek 9210b chipset, made sure to get the b version this time so it can do sata and nvme m.2 drives. i made sure to update the firmware and its going great. i dont get how usb c to c gives you issues but A to C doesnt. unless the C to C is going 10g speed and your getting some issues there. @darael whats the firmware version your enclosure is on?

Last edited:
Associate
I've just got a ORICO 20Gbps NVMe Enclosure (USB 3.2 Gen2x2) with a 1TB SN570, but connecting this to my X570-P USB slot which should be USB 3.2 Gen2 it keeps disconnecting, when it should be fine at 10Gbps. It worked for abit copying at 800 for afew seconds then 0, rinse and repeat....
Tried another cable but same thing, tries to initialise but craps out.. When I connect to the USB 3.2 Gen 1 port it works (steady at 398mb/s)
Anyone had similar issues, not sure if its the mobo (latest bios/updates, seems like Asus are crap with USB) or just the enclosure?!
Ive had this same thing with Oricos. They are trash, they disconnect due to hardware problems.

Soldato
iv got another one of these orico enclosures using the realtek 9210b chipset, made sure to get the b version this time so it can do sata and nvme m.2 drives. i made sure to update the firmware and its going great. i dont get how usb c to c gives you issues but A to C doesnt. unless the C to C is going 10g speed and your getting some issues there. @darael whats the firmware version your enclosure is on?
How do I find out the current version of my firmware and is there any of backing it up and the drive's settings (ie: LED statuses)?

Soldato
OP
How do I find out the current version of my firmware and is there any of backing it up and the drive's settings (ie: LED statuses)?

firmware can be got from that link. comes with tool to check the version its running and to flash with .
currently this one is the latest : https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...r-firmware-Version-1.32.87.082923/lang,en-gb/

i think the tool can backup the config file too. orico config files are around

here is changelog of firmware:

Release note NVMe:

Version V1.32.87.082923
---------------------------------------------

addresses USB link instability seen in some SSD models when used in conjunction with Linux-based PCs, including the Solidigm P41 Plus. This update includes compatibility fixes in certain scenarios, including use with the Samsung 980 Pro

Version V1.32.49.140423

Version V1.32.16.010923
Version V1.31.17.102022
Version V1.30.21.070622
Has improved random 4K read performance.
Version V1.30.17
Fix slow speed issue.
Version V1.29.12.011122
Fix Compatibility with Samsung M.2 SSDs und Samsung Data Migration Too
Version V1.29.8.122921
Fix problem If your HDD/SSD could not be detected or kept disconnected from your Mac
Version v1.27.25.072921 2021.07.29
This firmware update aims to improve stability with Samsung 980 Pro and Western Digital SN550 NVMe SSDs.
The power LED behavior is also improved on Windows, and Intel based Mac systems: now when safely ejected the power LED should turn off ( it may blink slowly ) indicating the drive may be safely unplugged from the computer.This update is recommended for uses who have experienced connectivity problems with Samsung 980 Pro or Western Digital SN550 NVMe SSDs.
-----------------------------------------------
Version v1.23.9.100520 2020.10.05
01.Add customized command.
02.Update Kinsea KS10 LED behavior.
03.Fix Fulllink macbook disk speed test issue

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
Personally, I would exercise caution when buying a Sabrent NVME enclosure. I have a Sabrent ‎EC-TFNE enclosure and find the USB C connector on the drive somewhat fragile. The slightest nudge will disconnect the drive, which is frustrating while I'm transferring files. A couple of reviews show that others also have the same problem.
i have this sabrent one: https://sabrent.com/products/ec-snve
that one doesnt give me any issues.

Soldato
need some screenshots
1.png

2.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to warn you i see you got the asmedia usb contoller on your mobi. Same as me. Its unstable and unreliable when used with a lot of my usb3 devices. Asmedia is a load of crap and best to use the native usb ports on the machine.

Also your drive got old firmware so it can be updated to new one.

Iv had too much headache with those asmedia usb ports that i gave up in the end

Soldato
Just to warn you i see you got the asmedia usb contoller on your mobi. Same as me. Its unstable and unreliable when used with a lot of my usb3 devices. Asmedia is a load of crap and best to use the native usb ports on the machine.

Also your drive got old firmware so it can be updated to new one.

Iv had too much headache with those asmedia usb ports that i gave up in the end
Yeah I think it's what has caused most/all of my problems when trying different USB C cables - I've just got lucky with the current one, which seems to suit my Sabrent enclosure into the ground.

So what do I need to do to get my Realtek firmware updated? The firmware update software shows as per the second screenshot and it won't let me do anything.

Soldato
OP
Im not on the pc at the moment but if you google for orico firmware someone posted link to the config file for the orico enclosure. Also check YouTube vid for how to flash it. Its simple.

Soldato
OP
I hear you, but it does nothing. I think the empty Configure field is why, but I don't know how to fix it. :(
im back on the main pc. here you go:

fwupdate.jpg

above pic is how it should look with the device selected iv highlighted in red then the update button will work.
as for the config here it is:

Code:
;Configure Start
;=================FW Configure=================
U2PHY = 02 f4 9b e0 e1
U3PHY = 02 d4 09 00 d5 00 80

VID = 0xbda
PID = 0x9210

MANUFACTURE = "Realtek"
SCSI_VENDOR = "Orico"
PRODUCT = "Orico USB 3.1 NVME"
SCSI_PRODUCT = "RTL9210B-CG"
SERIAL = "012345678904"

CFEXPRESS = 0x0
LED = 0x1
PINMUX1 = 0x0
PINMUX2 = 0x0
U2_MAXPWR = 0xfa
U3_MAXPWR = 0x70
ASPMDIS = 0x0

;10 minutes of idle time will disable pcie power
PCIE_PWRCUT_THRES = 0xa

;EN_UPS = 0x0
;PD = 0x0

;CUSTOMIZED_LED is 15 bytes
CUSTOMIZED_LED = 01 01
;SUSPEND_LED_OFF = 0x0
;FAN = 0x0

;DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK = 0x1
;UART_DBG_PIN = 5

;=================Tool Configure=================
;DISCONN_FORCE_USB2 = n
;FORMAT_DISK = n
;INC_SERIAL = y

;PARTITION: GPT, MBR
PARTITION = "MBR"
;FORMAT: NTFS, exFAT
FORMAT = "NTFS"
;LABEL max allowed - characters
LABEL = "My USB"

Above code is only for the B version which is sata and nvme.

copy and paste above code into a text file and save as a .cfg extension to use with the software for the orico enclosure.
this line here:
;10 minutes of idle time will disable pcie power
PCIE_PWRCUT_THRES = 0xa
put a ; before the PCIE_PWRCUT_THRES = 0xa making it: ;PCIE_PWRCUT_THRES = 0xa if you dont want the enclosure to sleep after 10 mins of activity. i have it enabled so if i keep it connected to the pc it goes to sleep, sending data to the drive when its sleeping results in like a half second or less delay to wake it up and transfers begin. ideal for my use case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom