Poll: Official 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Round 12

Rate the Hungarian race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I rather liked the set compounds for the various stages of qualifying and was surprised to see only 1.1 seconds separating the whole field.

Yeah, I thought it worked brilliantly. Made the sessions more distinct, mixed things up between the teams, and probably contributed to immensely close final deciding laps.

Don
They already did that. Unless something's changed in the regulations, any changes to the car have to be made by the driver.

Thinking about that - didn't Lewis ask if they were turning the car down during the race. Does that hint that they're now able to do that remotely again?

No it was adjusting parameters to control temperature.

The commentators touched on this during the race - the pit wall are allowed to make adjustments to the car if it is for safety / reliability reasons. Given how dog slow the car was on the straights compared to quali, my assumption is they changed the balances / engine modes to reduce the heat issues.

As the car got lighter / less fuel load and temperatures came down, I assume they were able to unwind those changes which is why we saw Russell and Ham make much bigger gains at the end of the race (Ham was reeling in Perez in a car that was 30seconds ahead of the rest of the pack).

Soldato
I'm a fairly recent f1 subscriber, so I come in here most races to try and get some insight to things I might miss out not understand as a noob.

What i get from these threads mostly is the same people every week.
Boring, pointless, more fun watching paint dry. Turned it off, fell asleep, going to stop watching and start watching xyz instead.

STOP WATCHING IT THEN!!!
That one time that you do stop watching it is probably the time you see Hamilton start from the pits and win the race beating max in the last straight in spa and then u see norris slip stream passed max too finishing 2nd

Soldato
Lots of jealousy towards RB and Max
I think its more Horner comes across as a bit of an idiot come F1 weekend. Outside of F1 I enjoy listening to him. Max was and still is to a lesser extent a spoilt child who is used to getting his own way. He is maturing for sure but he’s still a bit of dick. Lewis was similar when him and Massa were falling out. I imagine Max gets his behaviour from his father.

As for the dominence I am a great believer the best drivers get the best cars :) Max and Lewis are both box office when they are performing qat the top of thier game. Think Max in qually at Saudi 2021, even though I am a Lewis fan that lap was mesmerising

Soldato
I voted a 5. Hungary can give you these sort of stalemate races where they can't really get close enough to challenge. I think this track highlights that the "improved" airflow designs to allow closer following, isn't really working that well. Look at Russell's overtake when he utilized a wide line to get out of the dirty air on the Ferrari for example.
I think Lewis did the best he could. The Merc all weekend was not great on the mediums so I thought he would go backwards initially. Perhaps would have been different if he stayed ahead of the Mclarens early on. Merc were definitely battling cooling issues as well. In the right window, the car is there and can be the second fastest team.

Overall, teams are starting to claw back the gap to Redbull. I think potentially towards the end of next season we might start to see regular challenges for wins from people other than Max. 2025 could be the next super season where most teams have squeezed the most they can out of this current reg period. Hopefully Redbull had such a good base car, that there is only so much more development and speed they can add.

Max will have the championship done in a couple of races I expect, then we look forward to next season really.

Soldato
I voted a 5. Hungary can give you these sort of stalemate races where they can't really get close enough to challenge. I think this track highlights that the "improved" airflow designs to allow closer following, isn't really working that well. Look at Russell's overtake when he utilized a wide line to get out of the dirty air on the Ferrari for example.
I think Lewis did the best he could. The Merc all weekend was not great on the mediums so I thought he would go backwards initially. Perhaps would have been different if he stayed ahead of the Mclarens early on. Merc were definitely battling cooling issues as well. In the right window, the car is there and can be the second fastest team.

Overall, teams are starting to claw back the gap to Redbull. I think potentially towards the end of next season we might start to see regular challenges for wins from people other than Max. 2025 could be the next super season where most teams have squeezed the most they can out of this current reg period. Hopefully Redbull had such a good base car, that there is only so much more development and speed they can add.

Max will have the championship done in a couple of races I expect, then we look forward to next season really.
Claw back? He was over 30 second ahead of 2nd

Soldato
Point taken... yeah true. :(
Starting to claw back maybe a bit? Imagine if Max is driving at 80% and they can win by a minute though. :O
It pains me to say it but I’d be surprised if they were even maxing the engine. Less chance of a nerf if you pretend you’re slower than you are..

Soldato
F1 has bigger problems than RB and Max. During the racing when top 10 places were occupied by teams following each other, none of the the drivers attempted to close the gap and overtake their team mate. F1 is now only about pit stop undertakes and tyre strategy. If RB didn't turn up to the next race, it would still be another borefest.

DhFa23k.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
F1 has bigger problems than RB and Max. During the racing when top 10 places were occupied by teams following each other, none of the the drivers attempted to close the gap and overtake their team mate. F1 is now only about pit stop undertakes and tyre strategy. If RB didn't turn up to the next race, it would still be another borefest.

DhFa23k.jpg

And how many times has that occurred this season? once? For a small part of a race?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom