How old is too old?

Associate
Still rocking an EVGA G2 1000 power supply - rock solid - I’ve had multiple cards with this for example 980 Ti SLI, 3090 500w Vbios with an overclocked 9900k don’t think I’ll need to replace it if I’m being honest

Caporegime
Check the visual condition of the capacitors and check the voltages, if both appear fine then I'd keep using it. They are simple devices which can last multiple decades if of good quality.

Those saying their old units went bang probably would have seen warning signs if they had done that.

The only power supplies I've had fail are vintage ones, 1970s out of an Apple II, or 1990s AT / early ATX power supplies, but replaced the caps and they're good to go again.

Usage probably counts for as much as or more than age, but my 750W XFX XXX was used for a decade solid of 24/7 usage, and about half of that time was spent mining or folding where it was providing more than it's rated capacity. :p

So yeah... I'd just say, check no caps are looking iffy and check it is working within spec for your own peace of mind, and if everything checks out, keep using it.

Alternatively, power supplies are relatively inexpensive so you could replace it anyway, and you would find someone to buy your old one, cheap branded power supplies get lapped up on a certain auction site. But there's nothing to say that your new PSU will actually last longer than your old one would have.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've only ever had one PSU explode and it was a brand new Corsair one, took a HDD with it. If the mains is stable and it's good quality it should last a very long time.

If a brand new PSU goes pop (and especially if it also kills other components) it's usually either a manufacturing defect or user error.

Most likely a manufacturing defect in your case, because the kind of user error I'm talking about is stuff like brute forcing connectors in upside down. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If a brand new PSU goes pop (and especially if it also kills other components) it's usually either a manufacturing defect or user error.

Most likely a manufacturing defect in your case, because the kind of user error I'm talking about is stuff like brute forcing connectors in upside down. :p

It was easy to blow them up in the old days when they had a manual 110/240v switch on the back. Occasionally they would come set to 110v...

Soldato
What is it that "goes" on old power supplies anyway? I was convinced to buy a new psu for a new system a while back on that basis of someone on here saying my 15 year old HX1000 would be rippling like a Cadbury's chocolate bar, but if I can simply buy a few components to "refresh" the old psu then it could be potentially be more reliably used as a backup or in a 2nd system. So is it mainly the capacitors which get tired in old psu's, or is it those and some of the more hard to get/hard to replace items? Obviously, this is with an acceptable level of competence assumed in doing any component swaps.

Soldato
This thread made me check, and my Silverstone 1200 Strider is approaching 10 years of service in the next couple of weeks. I'll need to think about replacing it in another 10 years or so. :)

Also, someone mentioned the HyperX Type-R? I had one back in the day for a few years (it was so pretty, and crossfired 4870s and 5870s for the win!) before retiring it to my Mum's desktop for a few more years, then replacing the whole PC about 5 years ago. Only later learned of it's reputation! Still use the case it came in for my regular screws, cables and tools.

Found the actual PSU in the loft a couple of weeks ago. What should I do with it? See if it still works? Turn it into wall art? Or report it to MoD as an unexploded munition?

Associate
This thread made me check, and my Silverstone 1200 Strider is approaching 10 years of service in the next couple of weeks. I'll need to think about replacing it in another 10 years or so. :)

Also, someone mentioned the HyperX Type-R? I had one back in the day for a few years (it was so pretty, and crossfired 4870s and 5870s for the win!) before retiring it to my Mum's desktop for a few more years, then replacing the whole PC about 5 years ago. Only later learned of it's reputation! Still use the case it came in for my regular screws, cables and tools.

Found the actual PSU in the loft a couple of weeks ago. What should I do with it? See if it still works? Turn it into wall art? Or report it to MoD as an unexploded munition?

C.

:cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Hiper* :p

I have one in the cupboard, it still works, but I daren't... :p
Damn, you're right (HyperX is spare headset - DOH!). I'm so tempted to put it in an obsolete system, but given it'll probably just run fine it'd be a bit of an anti-climax.

Those connectors looked and felt so good though, why did nobody else ever use them? Just cost or were they part of the reliability issue?

Caporegime
Damn, you're right (HyperX is spare headset - DOH!). I'm so tempted to put it in an obsolete system, but given it'll probably just run fine it'd be a bit of an anti-climax.

Those connectors looked and felt so good though, why did nobody else ever use them? Just cost or were they part of the reliability issue?

I think Tagan used something similar at the time.

The reliability issues were because of poor / flawed components inside I think. :p

Associate
What is it that "goes" on old power supplies anyway? I was convinced to buy a new psu for a new system a while back on that basis of someone on here saying my 15 year old HX1000 would be rippling like a Cadbury's chocolate bar, but if I can simply buy a few components to "refresh" the old psu then it could be potentially be more reliably used as a backup or in a 2nd system. So is it mainly the capacitors which get tired in old psu's, or is it those and some of the more hard to get/hard to replace items? Obviously, this is with an acceptable level of competence assumed in doing any component swaps.
I wouldn’t expect an HX1000 to have the same degradation as a TX or other entry level PSU.

As with any IT part, things do wear out, even if they’re non moving components.

Capacitors used to wear out a lot faster than they do these days and it’s pretty rare to hear of someone with blown caps on a motherboard.

The thing is that high end components like the HX1000 PSU wear out slower as they use better components, like using high end capacitors which are less likely to fail.

I couldn’t give you a deep dive explanation as to why power supplies die, they have a lot of components which are actually very reliable but after several thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of operations, wear and tear happens.

It could be as subtle as oxidation of metal parts due to high levels of humidity in the air (problematic for anyone who lives next to the ocean) but again, it all depends.

Edit: the “death rattle” as per the above post is actually just the fan needing to be replaced rather than any indication that the PSU will blow.

I would just buy a new fan, carefully bleed the psu of any residual power from the capacitors and keep the PSU.

Last edited:
Associate
As in that death rattle is the bearing in the fan that’s worn out.

The HX1000 is a great PSU and it may be 15 years old but it’s still probably fine.

Replace the fan (very carefully) and it’ll probably be good for a while longer.
I would keep using it.
I would trust a high end 15 year old PSU more than a 5yo budget model.

Worst case is when it fails you could loose additional components but it's not likely.

Soldato
My Superflower Leadex 750W will be 10 years old in a few months. Just upgraded to a 7900XTX and it seems to be handling it perfectly fine. Should get a good couple more years out of it yet.

Associate
As in that death rattle is the bearing in the fan that’s worn out.

The HX1000 is a great PSU and it may be 15 years old but it’s still probably fine.

Replace the fan (very carefully) and it’ll probably be good for a while longer.
Yeh I know it is :) I bought the new version as I needed a spare PSU for another system after I replace said fan, and fancied the newer model with the cable for 4080/4090 cards.

Back
Top Bottom