How old is too old?

Soldato
My AX860 is over a decade old now and has started coil whining when the PC is asleep. It's not a problem since when the machine is on I can't hear it over the fans and when it's sleeping no one is in the room but thinking it might be the beginning of the end.

Had a look at some replacements and all the Corsair PSUs with decent specs are the SHIFT models which would require a new case too.

If it goes bang tomorrow should I get a Seasonic?

Associate
My AX860 is over a decade old now and has started coil whining when the PC is asleep. It's not a problem since when the machine is on I can't hear it over the fans and when it's sleeping no one is in the room but thinking it might be the beginning of the end.

Had a look at some replacements and all the Corsair PSUs with decent specs are the SHIFT models which would require a new case too.

If it goes bang tomorrow should I get a Seasonic?
The standard Corsair RMx (non shift) has decent specs too.

Associate
this also makes me wonder if i should.. i got a 750w evga.. cant remeber the excat model but it must be close to 10 years old.. but i havent put it through too much strain..

Associate
upon checking my purchase date with ocuk appears my superflower 1000w is about 9 years old - although it's been rock-solid I'm now questioning if its time...

Soldato
upon checking my purchase date with ocuk appears my superflower 1000w is about 9 years old - although it's been rock-solid I'm now questioning if its time...
Depends on the hardware its powering. If its high end recent hardware then a possibility. otherwise - 'if it aint broke don't fix it'.
I've got a 8 year old EVGA 550G2 in the rig I'm typing this post on. Said rig draws 40 watts from the wall so its hardly taxed. It's still got another 2 years warranty but I'll still keep it. If it goes bang I'll have a problem deciding what to replace it with, said PSU was the first to get a perfect 10 score on the now defunct Jonnyguru PSU review site.

Soldato
SuperFlower Golden Green HX 650W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black purchased from OcUK Jan 2014. Still working fine in my server 24/7

Question: Does efficiency wear out on PSU? ie would it be running at 80 Plus Gold levels at the moment?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Question: Does efficiency wear out on PSU? ie would it be running at 80 Plus Gold levels at the moment?
One of the big hardware sites did a test on this (capacity and efficiency with old PSUs), but I can't remember who. Anyway, there was pretty much zero difference (at least, not for the PSUs they tested).

Last edited:

lcg

lcg

Associate
This thread makes me nervous about the Corsair HX520 I have from 2008. I have had generic PSUs blow on me in the past and this replaced one of them.
Hopefully, I haven't jinxed it!
I had a Corsair HX520 from 2007 until it went bang in 2011. Thankfully it didn't take out anything else. The RMA replacement HX650 is still going strong.

Soldato
I still have my old 2007 Enermax 720watt PSU running my system
( I feel it amazing that a 17 year old PSU already had the two 8 pin connectors needed to power my 2080ti)

I bought a new 1200watt Asus Thor PSU end of last year but am waiting till i upgrade my system before fitting it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom