What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Furie (2019) - 8/10

A traditional revenge thriller which stands out mainly due to its location and good acting.

The slow-ish start sets the scene with beautiful rural Vietnam and humble country living before moving into the crowded, filthy and corrupt city.

The martial arts fight scenes and chase scenes are good with ample dramatic music but they look sped up, as are other parts of the film.

Good characterization of the tough yet emotionally vulnerable mother on her mission to save her daughter and whilst the other characters are barely present, they are memorable and serve their purpose.

Its style doesn’t really become apparent until the end and whilst it doesn’t really do anything new, it does it well.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Damsel (2024) - 6/10
Passable entertainment in a beautiful fairytale setting let down by an uninspired plot.

The story’s predictable, the characters are stereotypical and some of their costumes look cheap but the acting’s good, even if the dialogue is a bit wooden.

The middle act is rather boring with dark and dingy settings and barely passable levels of suspense and the ending does little to alleviate this, but the special effects look good and as adventures go, it could have been worse.

Thought it wasn't nearly as bad as some made out. Enjoyed it as a movie and probably agree with your score. For me it wasn't entirely boring but the ending was quite satisfying. :D

Permabanned
There Will Be Blood - 10/10
Seen it before...

Do I even have to justify this masterpiece? The direction/score/casting/writing...

"How good do you want this film to be?"
Daniel Day Lewis: "Yes"

Gangs Of New York 9.5/10

Again DDL smashing it along with the entire perfect casting. A Scorsese masterpiece.

I swear DDL could be THE greatest actor ever, the sheer commitment/personification he takes on in any role is genuinely god tier, I can't think of anything that he's done that isn't perfection?

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
@keef247

What's wrong, poker face? :p

L19eKil.png

Soldato
Alien: Covenant - 5/10

We-e-e-e-e-ell...it's nowhere near as terrible as I remembered it being. It's not great, that's for damned sure. But at least a few of the cast (Fassbender, Waterson, McBride) didn't entirely disgrace themselves.

And they didn't spend quite as much as was wasted on The Great Wall.
Probably the weakest of the alien films. It's plot is just driven by people doing dumb things. 5/10 is probably about right though.

Soldato
Have a Good Trip : Adventures in Psychedelics : 7/10

Documentary on Netflix featuring celebrities telling anecdotes about their hallucinogenic drug use.

Funny and absolutely spot on about the experience. And it didn't surprise me at all that Ben Stiller only ever took it once and had a terrible time because he's too uptight :p

Associate
Alien: Covenant - 5/10

We-e-e-e-e-ell...it's nowhere near as terrible as I remembered it being. It's not great, that's for damned sure. But at least a few of the cast (Fassbender, Waterson, McBride) didn't entirely disgrace themselves.

And they didn't spend quite as much as was wasted on The Great Wall.
Really weak entry into the franchise, a hard watch overall, watched it upon release and just thought I'd never revisit it, anyways last year me and the GF decided to work our way through the Alien and Predator franchises as she'd never seen them, we both agreed that it was a hard slog getting through Alien: Covenant.

Permabanned
@keef247

What's wrong, poker face? :p

L19eKil.png
I really enjoyed it, and David's further character development, Fassbender did such a good job in this and Prometheus as an Android, he embodies David, some of his best acting for sure.
Definitely on par with Ian Holm, and as a sequel to Prometheus, I think it worked - I always think of them as one film and watch them together, due to it being more about David's story IMHO than the crew/aliens.

If you just take them together as 1 big film and their own thing/series, then it works IMHO.

It's when people jump on the bandwagon comparing it to the older films. I mean Alien 3/Resurrection were dog ****? 2 Isn't even horror nor the original writers, it's an action film, we allow it cause it's amusing, but is a strong cliche sequel, and it's very silly in places... Yet everyone seems to forget these films exist and slate Prometheus and Covenant?

Probably the weakest of the alien films. It's plot is just driven by people doing dumb things. 5/10 is probably about right though.
Did you forget 3/Resurrection existed?

Last edited:
Associate
Gone in 60 seconds (2000). 6/10. Been re-watching films I used to enjoy when I was younger, thinking maybe I should stop, it's killing the nostalgic feeling about some of them :p.

Soldato
Gone in 60 seconds (2000). 6/10. Been re-watching films I used to enjoy when I was younger, thinking maybe I should stop, it's killing the nostalgic feeling about some of them :p.

That's happened to me with a few.

I remember liking Hawk The Slayer when I saw it aged 11 or 12 and being in a Dungeons and Dragons phase. Happened to catch it again on TV recently and the years have not been kind! So. Much. Cheese.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Code 8: Part 1 7/10

Decided to watch the first again before I'll watch the new one. I still like it, it's nothing groundbreaking but I think the world is well realised and the effects are convincing. The heist story is well executed with a nice character story behind it.

Soldato
Bone Tomahawk - 6/10

I'll probably be hated for this but I thought this was boring af to be brutally honest. Such an impressive cast, I felt them underused.

It was quite frustrating to watch. Maybe it was one of those films that was good at the time but I was expecting a western with scares. What I got was a ton of focus on a man and his botched leg, an irritating old man (the deputy) who just kept rambling and annoying others and a big bad that was just...boring.

The way the film ends is puzzling too. It's just one of those "is that it?" moments.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I just skip to the bits I like personally, did that recently haha I think there was bout 25mins of decent bits scattered about haha!
The original is the one to watch fully :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom