What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Hangover Part 2 - it was rubbish so turned it off after 10 minutes and switched to...

Happy Gilmore

Much better. Great comedy with lots of laughs. Carl Weathers was brilliant in it and Julie Bowen was stunning.

8/10

Associate
The Monkey King (2023) - 3/10

Colorful and imaginative with an abundance of energy, but with no moral message and an annoying lead character, it comes across as silly and childish.

The good mix of animation styles and quick pacing can’t hide the shallow, nonsensical plot and inconsistent ideas.

The musical number towards the end was good, but the choice to use ‘metal’ music was bizarre and overall, I found it tiring rather than enjoyable.

Caporegime
Argylle

I thought it was passable enough as a ridiculous experience, and I always enjoy Sam Rockwell. 5/10

No Way Up

Urgh, this was a big fail and you could see exactly when the budget ran out. 3/10

Ricky Stanicky

Not gonna lie, I laughed a bunch of times ("world-class air-****er"). Doesn't break new ground, but as goofy comedies go it's decent. 6/10

Soldato
Oppenheimer - 8/10.

I enjoyed this. Cillian Murphy and the ensemble cast were excellent. Would have preferred a bit more on the bomb building side as that was what I enjoyed most.
Disappointed I didn’t get the chance to see it at one of the proper IMAX.

Soldato
only issue is, those films remind me how old i am.
homer-simpson-les-simpson.gif

:cry:

Soldato
oppenheimer - 7/10 - pretty good, second half far better than the first.
poor things - 8/10 - not what i was expecting, but very good.
dream senario - 7/10 - also not what i was expecting, but still good

Soldato
Starship Troopers (1997) - 9/10
Loved it back during release, and still do today. I haven't seen it for years so with my gaming mates hooked on Helldivers, I thought I'd go down memory lane and watch the trilogy. The first and original is still brilliant even today. Micheal Ironside is awesome, the general satire of the film is hilarious and the soundtrack is spot on.

Starship Troopers 2 - 1/10
Da *** did I watch. I remember falling asleep back in 2004 when I saw this on DVD so I figured I'd force myself through this. Suffice to say it has nothing to do with the first film and features a bunch of soldier grunts in a outpost surrounded by bugs. Someone gets infected by a new type of bug and then the team slowly succumbs. The film budget is so low that their rifles don't fire ammo blanks and instead just light up at the rifle tips along with gunfire sound effects.

I've got Starship Troopers 3 to watch later tonight and I recall enjoying that as it has Johnny Rico in it so we're back to the mobile infrantry and proper bug killing.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just picked up Starship Troopers, watched it once in 1997, thought it was great and recently got a hankering to watch it again! Good to know its aged well!

Suburra (2015) 8/10

Produced by the makers of Gomorrah, and it lived up to expectations. It took me a moment to dial into what was going on, but soon picked it up.

Film based on the Mafia gangs in Italy, although this one focuses on Rome (never been and always wanted to go); What a beautiful city, despite the drugs, prostitution, violence, and murders in this film. :p

I thought it was excellent so I'm now on the hunt for the television series of the same name.

Last edited:
Soldato
Starship Troopers (1997) - 9/10
Loved it back during release, and still do today. I haven't seen it for years so with my gaming mates hooked on Helldivers, I thought I'd go down memory lane and watch the trilogy. The first and original is still brilliant even today. Micheal Ironside is awesome, the general satire of the film is hilarious and the soundtrack is spot on.

Starship Troopers 2 - 1/10
Da *** did I watch. I remember falling asleep back in 2004 when I saw this on DVD so I figured I'd force myself through this. Suffice to say it has nothing to do with the first film and features a bunch of soldier grunts in a outpost surrounded by bugs. Someone gets infected by a new type of bug and then the team slowly succumbs. The film budget is so low that their rifles don't fire ammo blanks and instead just light up at the rifle tips along with gunfire sound effects.

I've got Starship Troopers 3 to watch later tonight and I recall enjoying that as it has Johnny Rico in it so we're back to the mobile infrantry and proper bug killing.
2nd one I switched off after 10mins.

3rd one? Diddnt even bother

Soldato
Starship Troopers 3 - 5/10

Back to the original ST premise again, this was a lot better than the previous film. Religion is the name of the game here as we seek a 'higher power to guide us'. It also has a new sky marshall chap complete with a very catchy recruitment song! Whilst Johnny Rico is back in this film, Jolene Blalock (TPol from Enterprise) has most of the screentime which isn't too disappointing.

The overall storyline is a mess but the core satirical formula is still there. Sadly the film loses its way halfway through but hang on because we're introduced to a new big bad!

Back
Top Bottom