What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Furie (2019) - 8/10

A traditional revenge thriller which stands out mainly due to its location and good acting.

The slow-ish start sets the scene with beautiful rural Vietnam and humble country living before moving into the crowded, filthy and corrupt city.

The martial arts fight scenes and chase scenes are good with ample dramatic music but they look sped up, as are other parts of the film.

Good characterization of the tough yet emotionally vulnerable mother on her mission to save her daughter and whilst the other characters are barely present, they are memorable and serve their purpose.

Its style doesn’t really become apparent until the end and whilst it doesn’t really do anything new, it does it well.
Yup is a good film. 8/10

Associate
Drive-Away Dolls (2024) - 4/10

Entertaining enough, but this lesbian road-trip ends up being more amateurish than comical.

It’s quirky, the lead actors do a great job and the characters manage to be both conventional and unconventional, but the story is minimal, the editing is abrupt and the over-the top zany acting and weirdness just seems to be there for the sake of it.

Associate
King of New York (1991) 6/10

Gangster thriller starring Chrisopher Walken. The style and music just reminded me of Rocky 5 of the same period (89-90). Music and fashion haven't aged well.

It's a film of spot the recognisable faces! The annoying ginger bloke in CSI who takes himself far too seriously stars. I hated CSI with passion back in the day. There is one proper unexpected scene which notched an extra point alone!

Carlito's Way supersedes in every way and remains the benchmark for me.

Man of Honour
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (2023)

Having watched the four original films, which my wife loves and I don't, in the interests of give and take we watched this steaming pile of dross last night.

Easily the worst of the five films, you get to where you think it should be the end and there's another hour to go. Too much singing and dancing and the only decent performance was Peter Dinklage. The two leads didn't have any chemistry and the less said about Viola Davis, the better.

2/10

Soldato
The Marvels - wtf? I finally caved and watched, wish i had listened to the comments here.

I have no idea who this was pitched at, was this supposed to be a kids movie? But then it switched to being a bit dark and then we're back to cutesy. I didn't mind Brie Larson as a bit part in previous movies and i thought Captain Marvel was ok, but she was dog toffee in this - made me realise she is a bit of a **** actress.

Although - the cats in space scene was hilarious and that end scene!!

Overall, soooooooo glad i didn't go to the cinema to watch.

Associate
Furies (2023) - 6/10

A violent and bloody revenge thriller set in the dirty and seedy underbelly of urban Vietnam.

The harsh lifestyle and neon lights suit the traditional story of dark female vengeance but the story lacked a personal touch and has an overly long ending which makes little sense.

The frequent number of fight scenes are well put together but the CGI/special effects are pretty poor.

The characters are a bit melodramatic and look more like the Powerpuff Girls than Charlie’s Angels but it’s stylish and entertaining, if a bit montage heavy.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The Beekeeper, I mean it was better than The Bricklayer so that's something I guess. :cry:

5/10, not great not terrible. (Bricklayer is an easy 2/10)

Soldato
Matrix Resurrections. 2/10 It earns a 2 for how to began. I don't really know what to say to about the rest of it. The start was intriguing, looked mysterious and hooked in some of the past really well. However, once the went through the first door into the train with Neo, that's when it all went downhill, (haha maybe off the rails would be a more punny statement)

And just when I thought they couldn't do anything to make this movie worse, the last 20 minutes comes along and says "hold my beer!! You thought things were bad up till now, you ain't seen nothing yet buddy." The last 20 minutes of this were a disaster. How did the writers/directors or whoever think that this was any kind of suitable send off for the Matrix.

Mr Smith was a joke. Random things kept been put into the movie for no reason and no explanation given. The new Matrix was never really defined very well. The fights were poor. And the ending.. Why? Which is very disappointing because it seemed from the first 20 minutes or so that that they put a bit of thought and effort into making it a worthy movie. We all know that it was never going to be great movie, but we were still hoping for something a bit better than this. Like the last Indiana Jones movie. It wasn't great but it managed, with a bit of nostalgia and a pretty good story, to bring back some of the magic of the first 3 movies.

Thought when I read the initial reactions when it first came out that maybe people were expecting too much and that it would be an ok movie. Nope, initial reaction got it pretty spot on this time!!

Soldato
Skyscraper - 4/10

I wasn't feeling too good choosing this having hayfever and cold symptoms, and I was worse off AFTER this. I've always been a fan of The Towering Inferno (1974) as well as Die Hard, so with Dwayne Johnson in tow what could go wrong?! Quite a lot it seems.

I didn't know this was one of those Chinese financed films with randoms all over the place along with heavy CGI. Rock and Neve Campbell must have got a hefty paycheck for this one as they have zero chemistry in the film compared to say Carla Gugino from San Andreas. Overall, the film was simply garbage. They tried to make a mix of Die Hard and Towering Inferno but so many elements made zero sense and what exists is very cliche and predictable.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
McCabe and Mrs Miller (1971)

Although I have no previous knowledge of the film, I was expecting a western, based on the brief synopsis. Turned out to be anything but a western, but still reasonably interesting considering it's age, and also considering not a lot really happens.

6/10

Blue Beetle (2023)

Another DC movie and another two hours of my life I'm not getting back. After watching it I find out it's not part of the previous DCEU and not part of whatever James Gunn is now in charge of.

2/10

Soldato
Skyscraper - 4/10

I wasn't feeling too good choosing this having hayfever and cold symptoms, and I was worse off AFTER this. I've always been a fan of The Towering Inferno (1974) as well as Die Hard, so with Dwayne Johnson in tow what could go wrong?! Quite a lot it seems.

I didn't know this was one of those Chinese financed films with randoms all over the place along with heavy CGI. Rock and Neve Campbell must have got a hefty paycheck for this one as they have zero chemistry in the film compared to say Carla Gugino from San Andreas. Overall, the film was simply garbage. They tried to make a mix of Die Hard and Towering Inferno but so many elements made zero sense and what exists is very cliche and predictable.
it was no towering inferno thats a fact. i so remember seeing it cinema as well as the mighty earthquake. both had star casts. average movies these days, but still enjoyable 40 plus yrs on, well near 50 in reality

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom