What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
If only we knew a guy with a mini shovel...............

giphy.gif

Soldato
No heating this morning :(
Hot water ok but while room stat was calling for heat the boiler wasn't firing up.
Suspected the 3 way valve might be stuck and this seemed confirmed by forcing it open which restored the heat to the rads.
New Motorised valve ordered from Screwfix and duly fitted. Seems ok now and saved a bit of dough by not having to get a plumber out.
Chuffed.

Soldato
No heating this morning :(
Hot water ok but while room stat was calling for heat the boiler wasn't firing up.
Suspected the 3 way valve might be stuck and this seemed confirmed by forcing it open which restored the heat to the rads.
New Motorised valve ordered from Screwfix and duly fitted. Seems ok now and saved a bit of dough by not having to get a plumber out.
Chuffed.

Just for my own curiosity - Do you need to drain anything before removing the valve? For future reference.

Soldato
Any ideas on a good container/dispenser for 3 in 1 oil? I managed to snap the lid off of the tub and it's 80% full.

--

Also did a manly visit to BAPP to collect 30 rods, 60 plates and 150 nuts. Woopa

Soldato
A wine bottle with one of those rubber plugs with spout on. If it's a small bottle use empty washing up liquid bottle.

I am now going out to do a Heath Robinson job - Ordered a gutter stop end - I need the one with clips on so looks like a job fpr the mastic gun.:rolleyes:

Soldato
Installed a Shelly EM in the main consumer unit. One channel monitoring total power for the household and the other just on our hot tub.

Regretting the hot tub one as Im not sure I want to know how much its costing me :D

Really impressed with the EMs capabilities for the price. The Shelly app is actually very good although I do have a Home Assistant integration also.

AKGpihYfHTMeT5zjZJB64jZE0BgF-6uLuecu99O-Qu_POR8_MATHII9I-UpCvrzxo_g9aeO4cs0e-7vc9scYidZY_VMqWWaoMTaeAJ4=s1600-rw-v1

Last edited:
Soldato
cXOcGog.jpeg

VI9dhoZ.jpeg

Did some jet washing to remove lichen. I tried to get rid of it last summer with some lichen and algae killer, but it only got rid of the algae and didn't touch the lichen. Also I know I missed a bit of algae and its killing me, but I am not getting covered in water and stone dust again today.

Next job is to replace the soil stack with a black one and I'll replace the gutters at the same time.

Soldato
Been getting ready to bring a garage full of stuff from London - my partners workshop that had been mothballed while we buy/move house. Moving a few big boxes and stuff around each evening to clear space.

Tonight I moved several plasterboards I had helpfully precut in the most "efficient" (read: biggest and least cuts) way. It was 10% muscle strain and 90% awkward stair turnarounds.

1) I want a bungalow next time. 2 flights of stairs is too many.

2) Next time I'm boarding, I will just make more cuts, use more screws and fill more joins. My shoulders hurt.

Soldato
I do like working with solvent based satinwood, I don't like the headaches. I was worrying all day about the tape peel in the evening expecting it all to have bled through but frog tape really is the t*ts.

Nice to see someone take pride in the finishing touches. Can make all the difference to a room.

Soldato
I do like working with solvent based satinwood, I don't like the headaches. I was worrying all day about the tape peel in the evening expecting it all to have bled through but frog tape really is the t*ts.

Did you RTFM on the frog tape? It looks like you did.

I think a lot of folk just see it as expensive masking but you have to actually wet it to activate the paint block.

Back
Top Bottom