• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Q6600 Overclocking Thread ***

Soldato
Whats the 'micron spread' method?
By saying 'micron spread' I just mean spending 10-15mins spreading TIM to a perfect thin & flat finish using a razor blade or credit card.

would it be better to just put a blob rather that use a method such as a thin line down the middle of the CPU?
It's the same thing although I didn't make that abundantly clear. Yes you just take the tube of TIM and draw a thin line in the right direction (CPU Dependant).

also why is the base of the TRUE totally silver should all be cooper for better cooling?
It is copper but with an anodized finish. One minute into lapping and you have a copper base.

Associate
Just finished priming my g0 q6600 for 18hours. 3.2ghz 400*8....1.232v on load.. temps were 47,47,43,43 on my thermalright 120 extreme. Next stop 400*9 :D

Last edited:

RaV

RaV

Associate
^ is the voltage still at 1.232v on load or did you put it up? what is it when idle? After that long it might not be voltage problems. how are the temps after a good few hours of pime?

Soldato
what is the stock voltage for the NB, as currently its set to Auto
No ideal, although I ran mine fine at 1.25v when using a mild overclock on the FSB, once you start to ramp the FSB speed up raising the NBVolts is a good thing especially if your using tight memory timings *or* four sticks of memory. a lot of overclockers have their Nb Volts at 1.55v-1.80v so you are pretty safe.

Associate
hmm, installed vista yesterday and using speedfan, it seems to idling a lot cooler at 3ghz now, but it did this to me before, its saying its idling at like 35c when in xp it was idling at like 50c, cant work it out.

One of my sticks of crucial anniversary also seems to have died, well i say died, it wont boot with it in, works fine in my mates abit board which is baffling

Got the tru the other day but havent installed it yet

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a BFG 680i Rev. A2
Q6600 stepping B Revision G0
and 2GB Dominator PC2 8500.

I'm currently at 3.2Ghz (1424 x 9 1.3V) but this is my first time over clocking so I'm a little nervous :p
I've tried getting 3.3 but the furthest I've gotten is 1 second at the desktop before it locks up.
I haven't gone past 1.425 Volts yet though. Worth upping the V core to 1.5V? Or maybe upping the FSB V?

Associate
Does your board have the words D00 on the end of the serial, If it doesn’t its an early board and will see you to around 350fsb max, later boards overclock quads better.

Make sure you have the newest p31 bios, BFG say this bios "Resolves issues with G0 stepping CPU’s and improves 1333MHz FSB Core 2 Quad and Duo stability and overclocking"

Also make sure your VTT voltage is at 1.5v, SPP 1.4v and MCP at 1.6v.

Hope this helps.

Associate
Does your board have the words D00 on the end of the serial, If it doesn’t its an early board and will see you to around 350fsb max with a quad.

Make sure you have the newest p31 bios, BFG say this bios "Resolves issues with G0 stepping CPU’s and improves 1333MHz FSB Core 2 Quad and Duo stability and overclocking"

Also make sure your VTT voltage is at 1.5v, SPP 1.4v and MCP at 1.6v.

Hope this helps.

Only thing i can find in refernce to the motherboard is on CPU-Z it says:
LPCIO: Winbound: W83627DHG

I just upped the vcore to 1.5V and the FSB to 1.5v and I'm at 3.4Ghz, tried 10min stability test and was ok, know it's nothing compared to an hour or more but it's better than assuming it's OK at desktop i suppose?

overclockbo8.jpg

Associate
Currently priming at 3.6GHz (400x9) to optimise voltages, memory timings, noise etc at that speed ... I am now running Vista 64 so I am relying on everest to report the temps & Vcore.

Temps are now (After 2 hours or so) 56, 56, 50, 50 with vcore flicking between 1.29 & 1.30 (1.3850 in BIOS) .. ambient temp is 21C - this may end up being my 24/7 setup methinks. 3.7GHz stable needs 1.445 Vcore in BIOS & temps jump to 64 or so now that I have the quiet fans installed - idle is almost silent and load is very acceptable noise wise.

I am using the MX heat paste stuff with the lapped TRUE (and lapped quad) and have sorted my airflow with a major dremel/jigsaw double act last night to keep the PWM temp below 80C (but I need to do more as this is now my limiting factor and it is currently showing as 71C) ...

Board & ram will do 465 fsb (tested with an E6550) so I'll maybe try 450*8 next ...

Man of Honour
No ideal, although I ran mine fine at 1.25v when using a mild overclock on the FSB, once you start to ramp the FSB speed up raising the NBVolts is a good thing especially if your using tight memory timings *or* four sticks of memory. a lot of overclockers have their Nb Volts at 1.55v-1.80v so you are pretty safe.

Cheers mate, I'll give that a bash latter (the NB voltage that is) :D

Back
Top Bottom