• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Q6600 Overclocking Thread ***

Soldato
q6660000ln0.jpg

Ok does all the above Temps ect seem ok before I stress this with prime ?
Bald-Eagle maybe run Coretemp to get a better idea? And can I suggest you edit your screenies a little better, I notice people just post up the entire desktop when its the data windows above that are the most helpful, almost can't read yours. Also don't forgot to run Prime Small FFTs to really heat up the CPU!

Soldato
Am I pushing this to far on air ?

Run coretemp and Prime95 v25.5 with small fft's and see what the temps are. All the different temps can be confusing. The maximum external case temp (top of the IHS) Tc is rated at 71C, Tc corresponds (approximately) to the 48C you have. The coretemp is offset a little higher, maybe 8-10C. The cpu also has a factory set throttling point called TCC, somewhere higher up and yet another called Tjmax or maximum Tjunction the one referred to by coretemp.

Last edited:
Associate
3800MHz, 1.376vCore and 38°C Full Small FFTs load?, Seems very good to me :)

Is there anything *special* about those temps? like did you put icecubes in the water cooling or stick your machine in the north pole? :D

Is that a retail chip or OEM Hesky? I notice it had a nice VID of 1.2125v cool! :cool:

Hi Wayne, I used a custom blend test, min fft size of 8k and max of 1024k with run ffts in place selected, that way it gives it tiny ffts to play with and also tests a bit of the ram with the larger ffts.

I spent ages selecting and setting up my new watercooling system this time round, running a huge 120.3 and three fairly high cfm fans that have good static pressure characteristics which are in a single loop just for the cpu.
My aim is to never let the cpu's temps drift over 50c at anytime.

Oh yeah, the cpu is a recent retail one and I think it has a similar if not the same FPO as Devious's

Associate
I've just built an external radbox, tried a half dozen different fans. Went with three Yate Loon for low CFM and three Sanyo Denki 1011 for high flow. The Sanyo's are very good, not much noise even flat out and they generate a lot of pressure. Trouble is, nigh on impossible to source in the UK.

My three San Ace 1011's are far from quite at 12volts. Even when I used just two on my old setup, running at full wack it sounded like my pc was about to take off! beauty of them is you can run them on as little as 5volts and they still kick out decent cfm and then they become near silent.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I has 3.6 stable @ 1.475V (1.464 actual), huzzah, just priming now.

Lapped the chip, didn't effect temps in the slightest, must have already been pretty flat, and the cores still have a 5C temp difference so must just be how they are solderd inside.

All thats holding me back is temps now, I so want 3.6 solid constantly, but i'm hitting high 60's and its winter and 18C in this room...

Soon as the weather starts chaning these temps are going to rise and there really isn't a lot I can do about it without going water :(

Anyway, screenie so far!

HERE

Soldato
My three San Ace 1011's are far from quite at 12volts. Even when I used just two on my old setup, running at full wack it sounded like my pc was about to take off! beauty of them is you can run them on as little as 5volts and they still kick out decent cfm and then they become near silent.
Definitely not for sleeping around, but I don't find them that bad. At 12v I'm thinking mainly for the bench, but if you want high CFM and a good all rounder I wouldn't consider much else. The NMB/Panaflo are ok but just as hard to source. Over the years I've tried half a dozen 'High' fans, recently some YS-Tech and Delta's 1212, now they're loud. As you say the San Ace hold high static pressure at low rpm, mine are ok under PWM even down to just over 3.5v which is amazing and no ticking noises either.

Last edited:
Associate
Overclocked my q6600 to 3ghz and ran it in prime95 and under full load the cores are reaching 65,65,59,59. Seems a little high?

Im using thermalright 120 extreme heatsink with noctua 12000rpm fan attached to it and + ordered 3 more noctua fans and stuck them on the side of case on stacker and expected better temp drops but seems to have done very little.

At idle the 6600 sits at 45-47 @ 3ghz, so kind of annoyed its running so hot with up to 5 fans now in my case.

Soldato
Overclocked my q6600 to 3ghz and ran it in prime95 and under full load the cores are reaching 65,65,59,59. Seems a little high?

Im using thermalright 120 extreme heatsink with noctua 12000rpm fan attached to it and + ordered 3 more noctua fans and stuck them on the side of case on stacker and expected better temp drops but seems to have done very little.

At idle the 6600 sits at 45-47 @ 3ghz, so kind of annoyed its running so hot with up to 5 fans now in my case.

Lay your case on its side so that the weight of the heatsink is pushing down onto the CPU if this drops your load temps by more than a couple of degree's then you havent seated the HS correctly..

If that doesnt work try reaplying the paste, you may want to check the base of the Heatsink and see what sort of state it is in.. uneven base could be giving you poor contact..

Soldato
Yeah that seems about 10°C-15°C hotter than it should be but I'm not sure what vCore you are using there?

The TRU/E series really excel in a cool case but have a hard time of it when installed in a hot and cramped case but it seems like you have decent case airflow with that many 120mm fans.

I would be interested to know what the TIM looks when you next remove the heatsink, you should be able to get a good idea what contact the heatsink base is making with the IHS by looking at how the TIM has spread, in the picture below you can see how badly concave the base of my heatsink was when I first got it, almost no contact with the centre of the IHS where its hottest. . .

e2140andultra120dx6.jpg

The problem was made worse by the fact I used the 'micron spread' method of applying my TIM, if I had used the blob'n'go method the contact would have been a lot better. Anyway I lapped the base of the TRU and also added a small washer just below the clamp that presses down on the heatsink, gave me quite an improvement, this is a mildly overclocked E6300 before and after lapping/washer mod. . .

unlappedvslappedvz4.jpg

Full Orthos Small FFTs Load

Last edited:

RaV

RaV

Associate

Im at 45-48 now at 3Ghz ( nearly idle, one instance of Folding@home with 25% CPU usage.) That is with the stock cooler. So i would investigate and get some more speed out of it ;)

Soldato
The problem was made worse by the fact I used the 'micron spread' method of applying my TIM, if I had used the blob'n'go method the contact would have been a lot better. Anyway I lapped the base of the TRU and also added a small washer just below the clamp that presses down on the heatsink, gave me quite an improvement, this is a mildly overclocked E6300 before and after lapping/washer mod. . .

Full Orthos Small FFTs Load

Whats the 'micron spread' method?, would it be better to just put a blob rather that use a method such as a thin line down the middle of the CPU? And also why is the base of the TRUE totally silver should all be cooper for better cooling?

Back
Top Bottom