2024 OLED bonanza take your pick from dozens of new monitors

Soldato
See you in a decade.....ish!
Indeed, at earliest.

Problem is want one monitor that does everything. The larger OLED fine for gaming at the lower PPI but text when doing report writing at work or modelling a structure is painful. The low Hz for work is fine but for gaming is noticeable.

So there nothing that just hits those things at once still and you compromise on both.

Man of Honour
Indeed, at earliest.

Problem is want one monitor that does everything. The larger OLED fine for gaming at the lower PPI but text when doing report writing at work or modelling a structure is painful. The low Hz for work is fine but for gaming is noticeable.

So there nothing that just hits those things at once still and you compromise on both.
It’s such an arbitrary list of requirements you’ll never find a monitor you want. By the time anything even approaching that is available you’ll have moved the goalposts to something else.

Your best bet might be forthcoming 45” ultrawide WOLED panels with 5120 x 2160 resolution and 240Hz refresh rate. Likely next year in 2025

Soldato
It’s such an arbitrary list of requirements you’ll never find a monitor you want. By the time anything even approaching that is available you’ll have moved the goalposts to something else.

Your best bet might be forthcoming 45” ultrawide WOLED panels with 5120 x 2160 resolution and 240Hz refresh rate. Likely next year in 2025
Everyone's personal list is arbitrary though. And the WOLED is so low PPI I could never use it for work honestly. I use a 27" 5k at min for work due to the want for the higher PPI when reading hundreds of pages of reports a week etc it makes a difference on eye strain compared to lower PPI monitors but it would be great to have larger size with same PPI.

Gaming wise I don't find it such issue as text not as prominent of course, and it's moving elements where the PPI relative isn't such an issue but OLED for true black, motion, colour etc really solid. And yes ideally I don't want two monitors to swap and don't have space for them both just being setup all time.

I mean you can get 8k in 32" now giving 275PPI, so suggesting a 10k for it in 21:9 instead of 16:9 I don't think is completely ridiculous that it will happen at some point.

Man of Honour
Has that been confirmed yet B.A.? Last I saw they were deciding on 165 or 240, personally hoping for the latter!
The last info we had was that they were planning both versions. But things can of course change, although previous plans we had seen last year have been followed through so I’m hopeful it will be the same with those ultrawide panels :)

Associate
Some of the monitors that been revelealed look great. The more I look into it (and the video @Mesai shared was really helpful) the more I think having 1 monitor for everything (gaming, general computer use but also WFH) is always going to have some trade offs.

I swapped to having two desks at home last year to have a dedicated WFH desk and a 'home/gaming' desk so I could create a nice separation between the two. I'm tempted to grab an OLED monitor for the gaming desk and then to move my existing IPS 27" 1440p to the work desk, replacing the 1080p 165hz monitor that's used there currently.

It's now just a case of finding an OLED monitor for the gaming/home desk that ticks the boxes. Gigabyte's 32" 4k monitor that also switches to a 1080p 24" monitor looks brilliant and would appeal to me wanting a 24" monitor for FPS games. At the same time, 32" does sound absolutely huge for a monitor.

The 27" 1440p 360hz from Alienware and MSI also look really nice - but then I could always wait to see if LG's 27" 1440p 240hz OLED from last year gets some price reductions as that would probably suit my needs nicely too.

Associate
Some of the monitors that been revelealed look great. The more I look into it (and the video @Mesai shared was really helpful) the more I think having 1 monitor for everything (gaming, general computer use but also WFH) is always going to have some trade offs.
The WFH bit is what's making my decision tough too.

The 32" 4K seems like pick as the PPI density will help clarity, but not sure I'll enjoy FPS games on a larger screen. 27" or UW might be the better choice, and the new LG sub-pixel layout has the potential to solve the general use issues - will have to wait until May/June to see though.

Associate
I swapped to having two desks at home last year to have a dedicated WFH desk and a 'home/gaming' desk so I could create a nice separation between the two. I'm tempted to grab an OLED monitor for the gaming desk and then to move my existing IPS 27" 1440p to the work desk, replacing the 1080p 165hz monitor that's used there currently.

This is my problem, I would just go all out on a decent gaming monitor but I don't want multiple monitors and need to be able work from the same setup. I've also been thinking about just sorting out another desk for my gaming setup and just stop trying to find that unicorn monitor that doesn't exist!

I've been using the Gigabyte M28U for the last few years and it's been great, but I really want at least 240hz... I'm hoping these new dual-mode monitors are what i've been waiting for.

Soldato
As I've had an Alienware 34" OLED for over a year I'm only after a screen size bump. 1000 nits mode + 175Hz already good enough for me.

I think there was mention of an LG 39" UW 240Hz monitor. If it reviews well I'll have to consider it.

Associate
Can one be reasonably productive sitting back on a couch using a karge oled TV for some basic writing of emails and the likes?

Associate

Really hoping this one is a banger. 4k ultrawide OLED at high refresh has been my dream display for so long

Back
Top Bottom