• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x3D upgrade

Associate
So i cracked and bought the 5800x3d last week for £269. I could’ve waited for a price drop or bought from amazon EU but couldn’t be bothered with the faff for the sake of circa 20 quid. Will install it within the next few days and punt my 5600x.

I seem to recall someone mentioning I should reinstall windows but I forgot why. Having searched online the general consensus seems to be just drop it in, which is what i would expect tbh.

If i run into issues i can just do a reinstall but wondered if anyone here had any issues upgrading to this CPU?

Last edited:
Soldato
The only problem your likely to have is needing to reset bios, in AMD Overclocking the only option you can change is curve optimiser. If you change anything else it will lock the cpu to its base clock speed

Last edited:
Soldato
So i cracked and bought the 5800x3d last week for £269. I could’ve waited for a price drop or bought from amazon EU but couldn’t be bothered with the faff for the sake of circa 20 quid. Will install it within the next few days and punt my 5600x.

I seem to recall someone mentioning I should reinstall windows but I forgot why. Having searched online the general consensus seems to be just drop it in, which is what i would expect tbh.

If i run into issues i can just do a reinstall but wondered if anyone here had any issues upgrading to this CPU?

It's not necessary for a CPU swap, I didn't bother on 10 and had no problems.

Nice upgrade, I'm on a 4070 and saw a big uplift coming from a 3700X.

Associate
It's not necessary for a CPU swap, I didn't bother on 10 and had no problems.

Nice upgrade, I'm on a 4070 and saw a big uplift coming from a 3700X.

Thanks, yeah i had a 3700x before the 5600x and dropped it in. I just recalled someone mentioning issues specifically with upgrading to the x3d chip but can’t remember for the life of me what those issues were.

I was debating whether to jump to AM5 but figured i may as well wring out as much performance as i can from my current kit.

I expect this will give me another couple of years then I’ll upgrade to whatever is on AM5 (or possibly Intel but doubtful).

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, yeah i had a 3700x before the 5600x and dropped it in. I just recalled someone mentioning issues specifically with upgrading to the x3d chip but can’t remember for the life of me what those issues were.

I was debating whether to jump to AM5 but figured i may as well wring out as much performance as i can from my current kit.

I expect this will give me another couple of years then I’ll upgrade to whatever is on AM5 (or possibly Intel but doubtful).
I'd just look at if you have issues that bother yourself and post on this forum.

I've set my curves in Bios -30 all cores on 5800X3D. No crashes on Max or Idle.

Associate
Just don't do what I did when upgrading :cry:

I spontaneously thought it would be a good idea to switch chips at late at night while half asleep. Nearly **** myself when I accidentally dropped the X3D, not that it was a big fall but those pins can be fragile.

Squeaky bum time! I considered installing it today but I went to the pub last night so decided to wait till i’m firing on cylinders.

Associate
Just don't do what I did when upgrading :cry:

I spontaneously thought it would be a good idea to switch chips at late at night while half asleep. Nearly **** myself when I accidentally dropped the X3D, not that it was a big fall but those pins can be fragile. Luckily all was well, its been running like a champ ever since.
We've all done stupid stuff :)

Soldato
Finally bit the bullet and bought one of these, since Hell Divers 2 is apparently so CPU bound. £254 - best price I've seen for a little while on the main websites, but still a bit steep for a last gen chip to be honest!

Not entirely certian what to expect as far as direct FPS impact goes, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally bit the bullet and bought one of these, since Hell Divers 2 is apparently so CPU bound. £254 - best price I've seen for a little while on the main websites, but still a bit steep for a last gen chip to be honest!

Not entirely certian what to expect as far as direct FPS impact goes, but we'll see.
That's a good price. Can't comment on Helldivers 2, but going from a 3900X to the 5800X3D I observed a 50% improvement in frame rates for MS Flight Sim 2020 and between 15-25% in other games eg. TW: Warhammer 3.

Soldato
since Hell Divers 2 is apparently so CPU bound

the problem with games like this is when you say BPU bound or you mean running at 100% and it all running on one core.
going from a 5600 to a 5700X3d game i would say a 10% boost in FPS and this is a game thats runs on one or two core's the CPU sits at 30% usage

but if i run the same game on my 7700x it runs even better because the core's can boost to 5.5Ghz, and the game needs the one or two core speed more than fast cache

Soldato

hadn't noticed it was particularly CPU intensive, but then i already have a 5800x3d hehe

Associate
Well i have caved and bit the bullet, I thought about upgrading to AM5 but i would have ended up buying budget stuff as I am not in a position to buy decent AM5 set just. I managed to get one for £246 so that made me push the button, it comes tomorrow and hopefully I can just swap my 3700x out. Is there anything else I will need to do to get the best performance out of it ?

Associate
Well i have caved and bit the bullet, I thought about upgrading to AM5 but i would have ended up buying budget stuff as I am not in a position to buy decent AM5 set just. I managed to get one for £246 so that made me push the button, it comes tomorrow and hopefully I can just swap my 3700x out. Is there anything else I will need to do to get the best performance out of it ?
I set my curves -30 in the bios on each core. It's been stable for me on my 5800X3D setup. Which is a point I'd update your bios to most recent version. I'd do that before swapping CPU's

I thought, I'd edit. I use a Corsair H100(LCD version) and is more than enough for this X3D

Last edited:
Associate
I set my curves -30 in the bios on each core. It's been stable for me on my 5800X3D setup. Which is a point I'd update your bios to most recent version. I'd do that before swapping CPU's

I thought, I'd edit. I use a Corsair H100(LCD version) and is more than enough for this X3D
Yea I have already done the bios update :)
Never really played around in the bios so not sure how to change the curves, why have you chnaged the curves ?

Last edited:
Associate
Yea I have already done the bios update :)
Never really played around in the bios so not sure how to change the curves, why have you chnaged the curves ?
I bought this from my Son and he hadn't done a thing with it bios wise and was happy gaming on it.

I'd just do your own thing and play your games etc and you'll likely not care. It's a good CPU.

Increases CPU performance curves. Temp, power consumption.

Last edited:
Soldato
I swapped my 5600X for a 5800X3D just after Christmas and it was (as expected) running hotter. So I bought a Thermalright Peerless Assassin last week, adjusted the fan curve and is now running at a perfectly acceptable temp and super quiet. So impressed with both. As a final Hoorah for the AM4 it was a great swap after flogging the 5600X.

Back
Top Bottom