• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D now or wait?

Soldato
I'm going to try some new RAM, not because I'll get any benefit running at 6000 rather than whatever it is now but because I want to see if my MOBO (X670E-E) will actually allow me to boot using EXPO with a QVL RAM.

Edit: Wrong thread but kinda fits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah exactly, I get it's not on the QVL list but still. Just one of those mysteries that has been bugging me since I built my PC (which is completely stable as is).

Soldato
I'm quite close to making a decision with this. I could sell my 5900x and pick up a new 5800x3d for around £100 outlay.

Or, I could do the upgrade to AM5 but I'd like longevity to upgrade the CPU as we progress through the refresh cycles. How does this shopping list look? There seems to be loads of choice for DDR5 but I'm not sure which set the 7800x3d would be best compatible with?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £777.96 (includes delivery: £7.99)​
£259.98 for the

Asus Prime X670E
comes with pcie5.0 and cheaper​

Soldato
I have enabled EXPO on the Gskill set after loading defaults in BIOS as suggested by @Wing-Man and now the GPU utilisation is as it should be.

Here's some comparisons...

e6RejSd.png

2rGvIvS.png

MIJpWW9.png

iFcszBf.png

2G8p2Tt.png

RzozzRH.png

4k - slight loss in performance, no doubt due to the multi threaded aspect.

1440 - 2% increase

1080 - 10% increase

Typo in your spoiler for the 7800X3D, you put 7900X3D.

Back
Top Bottom