• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D now or wait?

Soldato
Ive recently moved to a 7800x3d, gigabyte aourus 670 elite AX and 32gb Corsair dominator at 6000mhz. With expo on.

Boot time with a WD sn850x (pcie4) in the pcie 5 m2 spot.

With fast boot on is literally seconds. Under 10. A few times it's as fast as resuming from hibernation. I laughed how fast it was.

However.....
I started tweaking the ram a bit more and it's just bsod underload no matter what I've tried so I literally gave up.
My CPU doesn't seem to be a good sample either I don't think it boosts bast 4.7ghz which is sad :(.
Although it's not all about clock speed these days is it?

Anyway buyers remorse as ever. I always upgrade at the worst times.
Buying EOL tech or not so good upgrades as the 4070tisuper...
You think I'd have learned by now....do a lot more research and get asbestos lined pockets.
I'm pretty much running an AM5 set-up on auto. Plenty fast enough, not much for a tinkerer to do but it does the job very well. If anything a little undervolt seems to be the way forward. I also keep BIOS, chipset and GPU drivers updated as it's still an evolving platform YMMV ;)

Soldato
OP
I only intend to fine tune the memory, and even then if it's problematic then I'll just leave it on EXPO. Do these chips run hot? I didn't get a proper chance to test, but it did seem to be regular in the mid to high 70s when benchmarking and Cinebench pushed it into the 80s. I'm cooling it with a 360 AIO and it's definitely running hotter than my 5900x.

On the subject of perceived "pointless upgrades", remember that you'll be dropping new CPUs into this platform as time goes on, so your upgrade is really still in the making.

Soldato
I'm waiting on my second 7800X3D being delivered today the first was a disaster (see my post in cpus) tried to save a few quid bought second hand from sex and was Doa. This one is brand new so hopefully no more problems. Is there anything I need to know about setting ram in bios? As it's my first AM5 platform. Exciting times :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry to turn this into the E4 show but...
I had a little cry then decided to do the old reseat the ram, give it a blow... Peel the plastic off the heat spreaders I seem to have forgot....

Retesting and no errors... Lol..

I've never had an out of the box hardware issue in 20 years of building PCs.. I really hope this is still the case.

I'll post a ah crap spoke too soon post shortly, I bet.

Caporegime
Is there a trusted decent x3d overclocking guide?
I'd like to get it to boost the last tiny bit to 5 GHz. My temp overheads are huge so no worries . is there an auto way to say go a few % further on the vcore?

I really don't wanna go too deep into it :p
Not the end of the world.

Man of Honour
In my research into 7800x3d and decent motherboards and memory I came across AM5 cpu holders by Thermalright, basically a AM5 contact frame. One handy feature of these is that they stop any thermal paste going down the sides of the weirdly shaped IHS on these cpu's but I didn't think there was a "bending" problem on AM5 so other than that I can't see any reason for these. Does anybody on here use them and has it made any difference to anything?

Soldato
In my research into 7800x3d and decent motherboards and memory I came across AM5 cpu holders by Thermalright, basically a AM5 contact frame. One handy feature of these is that they stop any thermal paste going down the sides of the weirdly shaped IHS on these cpu's but I didn't think there was a "bending" problem on AM5 so other than that I can't see any reason for these. Does anybody on here use them and has it made any difference to anything?
I have one on my build.
It's looks good and helps keep the paste from going where it shouldn't....other than it doesn't serve any purpose

Associate
If you want somr
Noctua, sell a Thermal Guard, saves you having to remove anything and voiding the warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom