8pack Supernova - build log!

Associate
OP
Zotac Titan Blacks?

Flashed with a special BIOS made just for 8pack, and then fine tuned by the man himself.

Out of interest, what antistatic measures do you guys use when doing a build? Just a wrist band or a antistatic matt?

There's an antistatic layer in the floor throughout the whole of tech. Our workbenches are grounded and we're constantly touching cases/PSUs that are also grounded.

So a question, what box is bigger? The box with the PC or the box with the boxes? (Assuming you give them the components)

Caselabs cases come flat pack. Still a pretty big box though.

9RmMJ0F.jpg

Associate
OP
We demand more pictures

Here you go :)

Inside the Caselabs box:
2on4zA9.jpg

Found this down my shorts, 10 points if you get the joke.
O9zvwnb.jpg

Each panel was vacuum wrapped:
Jf5q3il.jpg

Had to remove the window for laser etching.
Ak6pDVH.jpg

Starting the assembly:
FWoq8DY.jpg

Quite easy to assemble, quite a few screws though
eOYg4yV.jpg

Motherboard tray slides in the back, makes things a lot easier to work on outside of the case
qZZE2J5.jpg

HDD and SSD cages at the back
86Q9kc5.jpg

The most annoying part is adding the little clips that hold the external panels:
WPltQKD.jpg

All of the external panels stay in their vacuum sealed packs until the build is finished to make sure they don't get damaged or scratched during the build.

Associate
OP
What are the specification/ extra you have on the super nova case setup, I went to case labs site and soon realized there were so many addon options I thought *pffft* leave it lol

ScottieB will have to answer that one.

Once the case was assembled, the preparation began.

I used the Mayhems Blitz Pro Cleaning System to flush out the radiators.
JrXnRyG.jpg

And this is what I had to clean:
QnOl8ej.jpg
3x 480mm SR1s and a 240mm SR1. That's 14 120mm fans worth of radiator space.

The first job is to calibrate the pH meter using the calibration solution:
WV2tasx.jpg

The next step is flushing the rads with diluted acid solution. The 14x120mm rads used up the whole bottle of cleaning formula diluted to 2litres.
W4p4eGX.jpg

And here's the set up used to flush the radiators:
BUZqQwA.jpg

And the spoils:
fSm7O1E.jpg
A fair amount of bits in the bucket, not the best picture though.

After running the acid solution for a couple of hours, the rads were drained and washed out with distilled water.
The next step involved a pH neutraliser to clean up all of the acid used in step one.
vk8Qp1N.jpg
This got very frothy .

It took a while to wash out all of the bubbles.
GUmx4oU.jpg

The 5litres of Mayhems Ultra Pure distilled water wasn't enough. I had to break out the big guns.
YU8zegW.jpg

All in all, the kit is quite time consuming, uses up quite a lot of distilled water, but there is no doubt in my mind that these are the cleanest radiators I've ever used.

Associate
OP
How tall is that case in the bottom?

About 180mm, but I'll have to measure it to be sure.

Great thread.

@Shawy How long are you given to build it?

It's built. ;)
I did the prep work on Saturday - building the case, flushing the radiators, fitting water blocks etc. Then 3 days putting everything together.

There's still a couple of things needed to finish off the build, but both loops have been filled and no leaks so far. :D

I'm gonna keep you all waiting on the end results though. :p

Soldato
It's built. ;)
I did the prep work on Saturday - building the case, flushing the radiators, fitting water blocks etc. Then 3 days putting everything together.

There's still a couple of things needed to finish off the build, but both loops have been filled and no leaks so far. :D

I'm gonna keep you all waiting on the end results though. :p

Now stop being a tease and show us the end results. :D

Associate
OP
Shawy, I have the same Mayhems Blitz kit and I thought part 2 was for the whole loop?

It is. It was hard enough to flush out of just the rads, I can't imagine how long it would take to flush it out of waterblocks too.

Not cool Shawy not cool! I need to see this badboy built and running.

Now stop being a tease and show us the end results. :D

Alrigh, alright!
You've twisted my arm..

Here's a photo of after both loops have been filled!

tltXIIw.jpg

Sorry the angle isn't great.. :p
But check out that plastidip on the optical drive! Sooooo stealthy!

Associate
You massive tease :p

Love the plastidip, I might do that too. Ya, I saw heard people say the entire loop froths like crazy and takes hours to clear up. I haven't yet gone to that stage so that's why I was wondering if I can get away like you did with just the rads. They are the culprit pretty much every time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom