8pack Supernova - build log!

Associate
OP
I would have thought so for the top pedestal as there are vents on the top of the roof. Will be interesting to see if the same applies for the bottom where it'll be a sealed compartment assuming bulkheads are also used?

Assuming that's rise in temp on the diagram I'm a bit confused? On the diagram isn't the best option 3 which is effectively 6 fan exhausting from the inside of the case (ie hot air out) which assuming I'm looking at the fan blades correctly is what you have setup - ie the opposite of 6 fans intaking cold air from outside?

There are gaps all around for fresh cool air to enter the system. You're right about option 3, and that's the same configuration as we're using - I don't think I worded it very well in my last post. The fans will be 'intaking' cool air from between the radiators (above and at the front and back of the case) then exhausting it out of the sides.

Associate
OP
Is it true about what 8pack said about the testing and binning of cpu's before purchasing? Does this mean that the cpu's that overclockers sell have a higher potential for better overclocking???

In our systems and bundles, yes. It's the usual silicone lottery when buying a CPU on it's own.

Out of a batch of 20 lol. Christ...

I'll have a 5Ghz 4930 please.

Get in line lol. 8pack keeps those sort of chips on him at all times and uses them for world records.

i managed to catch a glimpse of this yesterday whilst i was snooping around the back of OCUK (shhhhhh, dont tell anyone!)

It really does look awesome. well done Shawy!

Hope you liked the cable management. ;)

Associate
OP
Update time. Time to show off the main compartment, all tubed up!

Starting with the pass throughs above the motherboard
3y2dcwZ.jpg

and the second piece
JHQNpSc.jpg
EK really need to sort out their blocks so the ports line up!

Next up is drilling the holes for the GPU tubing
ACpjFnw.jpg

The more accurate measurements are on the underside of the panel
dI44jhH.jpg

And installed in the case
cGkjCq5.jpg

The main piece of the case needed some filing for a flush fit
c8hkmlI.jpg

Very pleased with the end result
Kk7ShsC.jpg

The underside sticks out about 10mm for thicker cases
8vwbmgr.jpg

Tubed up
WQaMIKo.jpg
Their's still some of the tubing natural curve here to be sorted later.

The final pair of pass throughs for the reservoir
l5zfWEE.jpg
Those are pencil marks on the case, not scratches. And the camera makes them look a lot worse.

Final money shot
B8x5NK9.jpg

Stay tuned for the next update that'll be tubing up the lower compartment ready for the fill up!

Associate
OP
Looking fantastic :)

Is there any reason you don't use acrylic tubing?

Long story short; I'm not allowed. Yet.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there's so much that goes on behind the scenes with these builds that we can't just up and change them. When the 8pack range gets refreshed for Haswell-E, there are a number of us really pushing for an acrylic build!

I want to rage so much right now at so many things that, need to be fixed aesthetically :D

Please list them. Post like that mean nothing on their own.

That quick grip drill and step bit looks so awesome. I really need a step/unibit myself. Love the tubing routes!

Shawy, you think a unibit on a hand drill will work? I can't really mount sections of the TX10 case for drilling over a table as you did lol.

If you can get access, yes. The drill bits can cause a lot of vibrations though so best to do it in an empty case, or take it apart like we did.

Associate
OP
1) Back plates for the titans

2) Your tubing is at non-specific angles, all tubing should be at 90 degree or 45 degree angles only

3) Some of your tubing lengths are slightly too long causing curvature, they should be straight damnit!

4) A cover for that SLI bridge

5) Mixing fittings?!! Argh you should be strung up for this sin :)

I think thats it for now :D

1) Completely agree. Unfortunately, we have no stock and there's no ETA on them atm so it was out of my hands at least.

2) Already mentioned about the EK blocks not lining up, all of the other visible tubing runs perfectly vertically.

3) It's not that they're too long, it's the natural curvature of the tubing from being on a roll from production. I've been working on training it straight though ready for shipping.

4) We're looking into that for the refresh Haswell-E systems. 8pack is awesome at overclocking and the build side of things kinda takes a back seat, but now there's more people, including myself, who are hardcore enthusiasts (and perfectionists) having more and more input into systems and some of the ideas being thrown around currently are like no other system out there.

5) The different colour fittings will make sense after the next update. ;)

Any reasons why you've not gone for QD3s? Quick disconnects are a god send. They're expensive sure, but the QD3s are quite non-intrusive compared to the old fittings. And on a build of this calibre they should be mandatory :D.

If someone was buying a Nova system, I guess they'd be able to spec them if they wanted?

You can spec them if you'd like. Personally, I'll never use them. There's just no need for them. It's easy enough to drain the system and change parts out without them.

Any reason why you didn't go for the EK monoblock???

For this build, it would look a bit boring with just the 2 tubes.. But I've put forward some ideas to use them in the refresh. ;)

With this being a complete build log do we get to see 8pack overclocking it as well?

Yes, hopefully!

Associate
OP
Will be very much interested in seeing how this overclocks. I am building with Same CPU and mobo just with XSPC blocks for mobo. Looking great.

Gotta wait for the big guy to come and clock it, haven't seen him around for a couple of days..

Well, you certainly used a lot of angled fittings... :eek:

Really? Most people who reviewed it vs CPU blocks found it performing better for the CPU.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of one for a little play.. :D

Associate
OP
I am sure you guys already know but the Primochill Advanced LRT, while not leaching plasticizers, goes yellow with the loop temps going above 35-40 C. Nothing that could colored tubing or coolant can't hide though!

Source?
I haven't heard of that issue, and, tbh, haven't had a loop with coolant reaching those sort of temps before anyway.

Associate
OP
I haven't tried that Shawy, how does it compare to the XSPC equivalent?

A little bit stiffer but so much clearer. You don't realise how frosted looking XSPC tubing is until you compare the two. Obviously, different tastes and systems suit different tubing.

Mick from Mayhems can vouch for that, he has seen this too. My own personal experience and that of others on OCN initiated a discussion there.

The exact temp isn't confirmed or anything, but ya most people who were benching at higher volts on CPU/GPU had loop temps go 35 C+ and saw this happen.

I've seen Mayhems fluids change colour countless times, but never Primoflex tubing.

Associate
OP
lol ya, but then again I had only run distilled water with a biocide and it still happened. Other people have had it too:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/primochill-tubing-turned-yellow.197300/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286896/mayhems-users-club/6650_50#post_22364877

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286896/mayhems-users-club/6650_50#post_22364990

Plenty more posts in there. I can post pics of my yellowed tubing if you want but figure this isn't the place to do it so leaving it at that.

Thanks for the links. I have never seen that happen in the ~8 months I've worked here, or in the 2 systems I've built prior. Seems like there's a bad batch out there somewhere.

Associate
OP
Really nice build, although I do agree that using acrylic tubing makes a massive difference the the ascetics of a build!

Especially when trying to use straight lines.

I wish I could build machines like this for work, rather than having to pay for all the parts myself :D

I've been asking for an acrylic build for a while now and hopefully all of the requests in this thread will help with that decision. :)

That would be awesome if true :D

Have to agree about the Primochill tubing, so much better than the XPSC stuff! (having used both in the last week :D) its so much easier to work with

Yeah, if someone wants to upgrade to the next gen cards/CPU etc we'll pick up the PC and sort out the installation and overclocking of all the upgrades free of charge.

Associate
OP
I know that I have asked ScottiB to use acrylic for my build. I have changed my mind about a few things causing delays but can't wait to see how it will turn out if you do start using the acrylic tubing.

Does the free labour cost for upgrading parts only happen with 8pack systems or all custom watercooled systems?

Yours isn't the one in a caselabs case is it?!

Just the 8pack range - it's the best of the best and we want to help it stay that way!

Thats incredible! How long after buying the PC does that last for?

A good few years I should imagine. Until the customer wants a whole new set up.

Good call, for you :) Acrylic looks so much better, im glad I went balls deep and did it as my first build.

It can look amazing. Much harder to build though, and then there's shipping the system afterwards if when OcUK jumps on the bandwagon.

Associate
OP
Long awaited update time!

Starting to tube up the bottom sectioin
YpRUxNd.jpg

More straight lines
BJpnZ9Z.jpg

Installing the rad to make sure there's plenty of clearance
0hMxoUl.jpg

There wasn't. Had to swap out the first bit of tubing
StoDPWq.jpg

and the 90 degree rotaries just about fit
GX72G77.jpg

pump lines up nicely with yet another straight line
lwOu0Lg.jpg

hard to read places…
Z67j4jO.jpg

...made easier to reach
rrVuBqI.jpg

No matter hoe easy this was to reach, it was a right pain in the arse to fit
2MVEPCg.jpg

That's the bottom section finished.. and here's a quick teaser of what the next update will include…

Nn6ahAm.jpg

Associate
OP
That will be the one, if I knew about all future upgrades being FoC (fitting) I would have probably gone for a 8pack system!

I have wanted to build that system for so long now!

Man, this puts mine to shame :( should have just bitten the bullet and gone for a ready made system - and my hands wouldn't have been torn to shreds trying to do up stupid compression fittings :D

My hands haven't been the same since I started building PCs full time. Scratches everywhere.

Associate
OP
Have you got all the bits already for it? :)

I didn't know the build was finalised?! :confused:

Is there an update coming soon?

Yes, apologies. I've been off work for the past week or so but I'm back now to get this finished off! Also have 4 more Infinity systems to build, and one to repair - and this is after another 4 were shipped while I was off! :eek:

Hope so, perhaps 8 Pack is busy doing his thing.

Saw the big guy today, should be getting this thing clocked this week!

Since I have a build with same CPU, I really want to see this OC'd I have mine at 4.6ghz atm, but I am not exactly experienced at overclocking.

Don't forget it's not all about the CPU. The memory is also pushed which can reduce the CPU speeds, as can 3 power hungry graphics cards.

This thing is superb, I can't wait to see the fully complete system. This thing is going to be a Monster.

It's not completed yet, we've only just received the final cables that have been custom sleeved for the build, but here's an update of everything filled up!

Well.. after one litre of Mayhems Oil Black coolant
GX84FGx.jpg

And with the res filled
x5LiCV8.jpg

Awesome contrast with the black fluid and red fittings
FEh3fhO.jpg

We couldn't get hold of enough red fittings for the top section of the loop, they're like gold dust.
qTnamcY.jpg
But the black on black still looks pretty epic, though the photo doesn't do it justice.

And filling up the graphics loop:
4H4b0lE.jpg

Gravity helped fill/bleed this loop out
bRU9Bc0.jpg

And here's the money shot you've all been waiting for….

it's nearly here…

are you ready?!

drum roll please…

here it comes!!!

watch

Sorry guys, couldn't resist! :p

Here you go:
JctUjYB.jpg
Awesome right? :D

And trying to sort out the slight curve in the tubing:
stwABrh.jpg

Stay tuned for some cable management!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Very nice! That loop is screaming out loud for acrylic! Really hope they allow you to go that route soon.

Can you do me a favor and get a pic of you arm wrestling the big guy? Preferably one where you win :D

Me too! Haha I'll try, I think he's got a bit of catching up to do first though.

If you wanted red BP fittings, you should have give me a shout, got loads!!

Must be why we can't get hold of any lol. Get them in a system!

I didn't realise these were twin loop systems. Is that common in watercooling?

Not too common, no. Not at all necessary, but this build is overkill all over.

No backplates for the gpu's ? :(

Couldn't get hold of any. :(

Love the build but think the Red fittings don't match with rest of the build. The black all looks spot on but because the Red liquid is very bright the fittings just seem out of place.

Not that it would matter but for me I would rather have black fittings throughout. Personal choice mind.

Build looks good, looking forward to seeing it wired up and OC'd!

I'm not a fan of black/red PCs in general - it's way over done imo, but to be fair, the crappy phone pics don't do the fittings justice - they look much better in person. And when you order one you can pick any colour(s) under the sun. :)

Associate
OP
Amazing, You are a great builder! If you have the time, are you going to be doing a build log for one of the infinity systems?

There's already a full build log for a Tesseract, isn't there?

ScottieB did the original build log I believe. More of a before & after though. I've done a build log for a customised Infinity Quasar and have plans for the other builds - gonna do them one at a time though so I don't confuse myself. :p
Also had requests for a scimitar build log, which unfortunately got built while I was off work last week so I've got to wait again to get a full set of pictures for that one.

That sucks :( ... Nice build though I've had one off you guys in the past they really are top notch :)

& they're improving every day. From what I've seen since starting working here our standards keep getting higher and higher all the time.

Associate
OP
Looks really nice, I'd have to redo that curved tubing ha-ha :D

The cable ties have done a good job of straightening it out. :)

Absolutely superb build guys, at the moment I can only dream of owning one of these monster systems. On a side note, it's only when you see a full build like this that you realize why these things costs so much, the amount of time and effort that goes into them, all the fittings, and care that's required to make sure everything lines up, they really are a work of art. Great work guys and I can't wait to see the finished system.

Thanks. Something else you don't see is I travelled 280 miles round trip on friday to fix a leak in an 8pack system - the only leak so far and it was down to a damaged o-ring. I don't think you'll get service like that anywhere else.

Really love the build lol :D

I'm just wondering who is paying this fortune to get this beast!!

Obviously, I can't give out customer's details on here. But this customer bought the system with an Empress chair and 3 144Hz monitors!! :eek:

This is one amazing system, when I win the lottery I'm going to get a couple, a main one and one for a htpc :)

That's some HTPC lol!

Back
Top Bottom