• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** A NEW BEST SUB £300 CARD? AMD 290X 8GB!! **

Associate
I currently have an XFX gold 750w psu which is not enough to run crossfire 290s. If i get the 1050w model available here, can i simply swap the psu unit and keep my cables from my old psu in the case?

Cant be arsed changing all the cables again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Was thinking of a 970 until recently, and now back to the AMD camp :) Question on the PCS+ cards: will 2 be ok in xfire with 3-slot spacing?

I think that will be fine actually.

Are there any reviews out that actually compare the 8GB vs 4GB 290X?

Yes, here.

I currently have an XFX gold 750w psu which is not enough to run crossfire 290s. If i get the 1050w model available here, can i simply swap the psu unit and keep my cables from my old psu in the case?

Cant be arsed changing all the cables again.

That should be fine. :)

Man of Honour
Upon reflection, I think I will wait till next gen.

1) I don't even know if the reference card is compatible with my block.
2) It's going to cost me a fair bit and I am not 100% sure it will cure my issue.

Soldato
I wonder if the Corsair HG10 works on the MSI 290X Gaming Edition 8GB versions? On Corsair's website it says it's compatable with the 4GB versions on the Corsair website, are the PCB's identicle?

This looks quite good - Crossfire >> http://www.overclock.net/t/1525392/corsair-hg10-information-thread-r9-290-x-updated-with-blower-fan-off-temps/10#post_23406433
ksaplostras @ Overclock.net | 14th January 2015 said:
Setup :
2x R9 290s in crossfirex both with Corsair HG10 and H75 in push/pull with corsair SP120 ,
overclocked 1100/1300 at stock voltage.

As you can see at the photo i use the rads as exhaust and i have 3 corsair AF140 as intakes
1 at the back and 2 at the top.
The temps at both gpus are 60-62 degrees running valley or gaming (BF4).
The vrm temps on the top card are 81Vrm1 and 65Vrm2 while gaming and 4-5 degrees lower
at valley bench.
The vrm temps on the bottom card are 88Vrm1 and 67Vrm2 while gaming and 4-5 degrees lower
at valley.
The blower fan on both cards is at 35% speed.

T02OPsR.jpg.png

Man of Honour
If you could, extremely difficult to find as it just throws up 4GB versions in google :(

Yes, though I can't find any PCB pics of this either, the fact its the reference 290x blower cooler is enough to tell me it is the reference 290X PCB, could always quiz gibbo as he had those made just for OcUK :p

General rule of thumb for GPU water cooling: Buy the cheapest reference cooled card you can, as 99% of the time it guarantees block compatibility.

Will see what i can do mate. If i can't get one, then I'll take one of my cards Sapphire 290X 8GB cards apart to grab a picture. :)
Any news from either of you? :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18653304

Gibbo seems to allude to the fact that it should work...

Back
Top Bottom