Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies and Titanic finally get digital and 4K Blu-Ray release dates

Commissario
Not me saying it. Lots of sound mixers where posting about it etc. Dolby is ultimately in the licencing business.
I can understand a certified by Dolby Cinema done by their own techs, of which a search says theirs only 5 cinemas in the UK that have that certification lol. Everything else is a third party that dolby sold the license to. But the likelyhood of 99% of people's livings rooms having the right walls ceilings etc is hard to believe.
Most people's living rooms also aren't particularly great for 5.1 etc, and most people don't watch with a 5.1 setup most of the time.

Basically Atmos is from memory backwards compatible, but if you've got the equipment it does make a big difference as from memory it's intended to do sound from "above" and "below" not just to the front and back of you.

Soldato
Not me saying it. Lots of sound mixers where posting about it etc. Dolby is ultimately in the licencing business.
I can understand a certified by Dolby Cinema done by their own techs, of which a search says theirs only 5 cinemas in the UK that have that certification lol. Everything else is a third party that dolby sold the license to. But the likelyhood of 99% of people's livings rooms having the right walls ceilings etc is hard to believe.

Got some links as it sounds like you are getting confused?

Dolby Atmos is a sound format (not a certification) that enables additional height speakers to enable 3d audio.

As with any audio format the quality you get will depend on the source and the quality of the equipment - but even a budget sysem will sound better than your TV's speakers lol.

Dolby Cinema is rare in the UK but Dolby Atmos is not - most Odeon's and Cineworld's have at least one screen.

Caporegime
Unfortunately the main part of my house where we watch films isn't particularly suited to Atmos sound.

I have another room that would be better, but it's a semi-detached property and that bit is attached to the neighbours and the walls are fairly thin.

Soldato
Some of the high end soundbars that’s came out over the past 2-3 years can output an excellent sound stage even if the room isn’t ideal.
Atmos, on the right film is downright jaw dropping.
Topgun Maverick, Quiet Place and Fury road just to name a few. I was watching something a few weeks ago but can’t remember what but there was a scene with lightning. Nearly jumped out of my seat thought the house was hit lol.

Soldato
Some of the high end soundbars that’s came out over the past 2-3 years can output an excellent sound stage even if the room isn’t ideal.
I’ve got one of them, a top end Sammy soundbar+rears and a sub from 2020. The setup is crap for anything BUT Atmos really and it works fine for surround sound such as 5.1/7.1. Absolutely stellar for Atmos though as said it depends on the film.

The best film that I’ve seen recently was Dune. The sound on that just blew me away. Previously it was Fury Road and The Martian that sounded phenomenal with the overheads during the storms for instance.

Soldato
:/ man heart break last night. Was totally enjoying this transfer and thought it look fantastic. With only the odd looking shot or two. Then the below happens :/ play back was perfect until the last hurdle :/

Edit: Oo Truelies just arrived!

Last edited:
Associate
We watched True Lies the other night, as @Mrs Seabiscuit had never seen it (I know, I know, but I still think she's the bee's knees anyway). Watched it in Dolby Vision (you can't do rock and roll in Dobly), and thought it looked brill. There was a reasonable level of what looked like film grain, even if it was added in afterwards, I didn't think it looks un-natural or over processed. Certainly not the waxy mess of T2.
Hopefully The Abyss will arive next week, so looking forward to that too.

Soldato
Watched TrueLies last night also and thought it was great. There was some shots that look iffy and some that looked superb. Blemishes, spots and stubble was on show.

I loved every minute of Abyss. Some of the underwater shots looks fantastic. Can’t wait to get my replacement disk!!

BTW I seen rumblings of a T1 transfer soon!

Last edited:
Soldato
Forgot to check, is the cameraman hand still wiping the camera lens with a cloth still in the new release? About 18 seconds in this clip.

But if you just watch the clip and arent looking for it, you just dont see it. lol

I didn't see that one, but they left in the one with the hand grabbing a cable out of the way during a fight. The missus saw that one and I had to skip back to check.

Associate
Amazon have just took £24.99 from my bank acc and haven't ordered anything recently.

But did pre order Aliens in Jan for this amount, so presume its coming, although still shows as preparing for dispatch. Woop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom