Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies and Titanic finally get digital and 4K Blu-Ray release dates

Soldato
As intended by Cameron. The studio who did the transfers followed his brief. The one I will probably have a problem with will be Aliens as it has a superb blu-ray. True lies I had the VHS and DVD as with the Abyss the 4k disks will be the best the films have ever looked. Disney who up to recently used to turn out subpar transfer's for their 4k disks have now licensed it's psychical media out to Sony so there might still be hope in a few years!!

It's pretty sucky as companies like Arrow, studiocanal, Sony, Turbine are all pretty good at restoring films

Commissario
It's pretty sucky as companies like Arrow, studiocanal, Sony, Turbine are all pretty good at restoring films
IIRC Arrow and Studiocanal have the transfer quality often as one of the main selling points as a lot of their releases are new transfers of films that had previously been issued by other companies.
It's much the same reason Arrow for example will usually pay to have additional commentaries and extras made so that their release has something to make it stand out from the previous ones.

Soldato
Is there no chance that company who does hi bit rate discs doing a proper job in future? I forget what they’re called. Masterpiece or something.
Only hope now is the deal with Disney and Sony. I'm sure Sony would wan't access to their back catalog.(Marvel/Disney/Fox) Sony have been redoing some of their older 4k disk and they have been very good. It's a slim hope and can only see it happening around an anniversary if at all.

It was T2's 30th not that long ago but there was no new transfer just repackaged the same turd transfer. Studiocanel did the T2 4k disk who are normally very good but there's one common denominator! James Cameron.
IIRC Arrow and Studiocanal have the transfer quality often as one of the main selling points as a lot of their releases are new transfers of films that had previously been issued by other companies.
It's much the same reason Arrow for example will usually pay to have additional commentaries and extras made so that their release has something to make it stand out from the previous ones.
Arrow even give you info sometimes on the restoration process. In the booklet for Conan it explains how the film was scanned by universal and then the colour grading was done by a studio in London. I actually forgot about paramount their disks are normally good as well as WB.

Last edited:
Associate
How is it? Have you had any chance to compare the Blu-Ray to the 4K? I mean, don't get me wrong, even if it's not perfect I'm not going to cancel my order as it will be a big upgrade over DVD, but just hoping it's worth the wait.

Soldato
Explains some of the reason they had to take durning the restoration.
Atmos soundtrack on Truelies is lit!!
How is it? Have you had any chance to compare the Blu-Ray to the 4K? I mean, don't get me wrong, even if it's not perfect I'm not going to cancel my order as it will be a big upgrade over DVD, but just hoping it's worth the wait.
Haven’t got around to watching it yet I’m sure I will love it.

Last edited:
Associate
The Abyss still out of stock since release day, so waiting for that to be shipped. From what I've seen in reviews it’s a shame the navigation screens haven’t made it over from the DVD, I remember being impressed with the menus that incidentally were anamorphic, so it’s a shame the film wasn't - looking forward to seeing it again and seeing the difference in 4k.

Aliens not shipped yet, but True Lies is apparently on its way. Will feel like a proper milestone achievement especially as the wait for better versions of The Abyss and True Lies has been very long - DNR adjustment controversy aside.

Soldato
My iTunes copy of Aliens was upgraded to the 4k Atmos version at some point over the past few days. I noticed only last night so I'll give it a look later today to see what it is like.

It was yesterday - no upgrade on the extra's version of the special edition though.

Soldato
Explains some of the reason they had to take durning the restoration.
Atmos soundtrack on Truelies is lit!!

Haven’t got around to watching it yet I’m sure I will love it.
Isn't Atmos getting torn to pieces because its mostly just marketing?
Watched a few sound peoples reviews on "Atmos" and said its mostly "Make you buy over expensive nonsense" lol. Some showing the compression levels etc and they all played pretty terribly.

Soldato
Currently watching Aliens 4k Atmos, and it looks and sounds terrific. Atmos is LOUD, to the point where I have to turn it down during the scenes inside the atmosphere plant when all hell breaks loose.

I remember my DVD version being noisy, which I liked so there's definite de-noising on this theatrical release however it looks sharp and detailed. There's the 1990 SE version here too (can't recall if it was there before) however it is still 1080p with 5.1 audio. I am more than happy.

Soldato
Watched a few sound peoples reviews on "Atmos" and said its mostly "Make you buy over expensive nonsense" lol. Some showing the compression levels etc and they all played pretty terribly.
Not sure on the question. Are you talking about physical disk Atmos versus Streaming Atmos?

Or the compression of the soundtrack itself?
I know Atmos can be delivered via Dolby True HD which is lossless but I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can explain that.

Or are you talking about the use of Atmos in some films? The answer to that one would depend on the film and the use of Atmos. Some films with Atmos sounds tracks add nothing to the experience. Some are superb. Some films sound better with a stereo mix.

Soldato

Lol just no.

Soldato
Lol just no.
Not me saying it. Lots of sound mixers where posting about it etc. Dolby is ultimately in the licencing business.
I can understand a certified by Dolby Cinema done by their own techs, of which a search says theirs only 5 cinemas in the UK that have that certification lol. Everything else is a third party that dolby sold the license to. But the likelyhood of 99% of people's livings rooms having the right walls ceilings etc is hard to believe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom