Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
My final thoughts are I prefer the 360hz monitor over the 4K 240hz, you get a dimmer display, lower resolution quality, but none of that matters when you're getting an extra 120hz (So I can imagine the 480hz LG will be insane insane insane even if it's 1080p if you can feel the difference in motion clarity from 360hz which I reckon you can).

If you're all about framerates there's only one choice to make. I have been gaming exclusively on the 360hz display for the moment :D

The 4K is nice for general desktop usage and is the go to for all of that.

Don't get me wrong the 4K 240hz is a fantastic display in it's own right, but if you're on a 4K 144hz-165hz TV I would honestly say stick with the TV, provided you don't need games running at 240hz. HDR and brightness on tv's of the last year or two modded S90C/ S95C especially is still a fair bit ahead in my opinion, I don't expect monitors to be matching them until 2026 or beyond there.

If you don't need your retinas getting fried, then all of the 4K 240hz monitors are adequate for your needs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have my monitor set to 4k 120hz and fps set to max 120fps in Nvidia control panel and Alan Wakes 2 VRR flicker has pretty much vanished so i am sticking with that for now until we get graphics cards that can push a game like this up to 240fps and beyond.

Stunning looking game and really pushes your hardware when you set everything to the max.

Associate
I have my monitor set to 4k 120hz and fps set to max 120fps in Nvidia control panel and Alan Wakes 2 VRR flicker has pretty much vanished so i am sticking with that for now until we get graphics cards that can push a game like this up to 240fps and beyond.

Stunning looking game and really pushes your hardware when you set everything to the max.
This was the GPU killer with CP2077.

No other games demanded more with all the bells and whistles, at least at launch date, maybe things have improved a bit since then.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a AW3423DWF already. I spotted 3 32" monitors in stock on the Dell Outlet store. As they come with full 3 year warranties I'm prepared to try one within the 14 day return window for a possible £760.00 reduced price.

Wasn't a great start as I failed 3 times to finish an order online with 2 accounts as each time it indicated I was a reseller and couldn't select my delivery addresses. My neighbour has ordered for me via his business account previously so he kindly ordered one for me. So far it has taken over 2 days to get a confirmation and possible delivery date of 29th April!

Just received my monitor from the Dell online outlet. The wait was a bit annoying for an in stock item but I guess it could have come from anywhere in reality. Had a good look over and so far only found a repaired hole in the box. Monitor was packaged like new and seems to have the better shipping wrap. After setting it up I did notice some spots to one side of the screen on the surface but they cleaned off with glass cleaner. No scratches.

Firmware was 103 so updated to 105. So far compared to my previous AW3423DW it's very similar in overall image quality as expected. The extra resolution is definitely noticeable in games as is the modest bump in screen refresh. This monitor feels bigger overall compared to the UW screen. I'm pretty sure I'll stick to this monitor now.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone with a c2 42 changed over to the aw32? How is it? Im thinking of downgrading from 42 to 32 as I started getting headaches/dizziness and hopefully help reduce eye strain. Main use is gaming and development for work.

Soldato
Anyone with a c2 42 changed over to the aw32? How is it? Im thinking of downgrading from 42 to 32 as I started getting headaches/dizziness and hopefully help reduce eye strain. Main use is gaming and development for work.

I did, but couldn't live with the really bad VRR flicker on the Dell compared to the C2 other than that it's a decent monitor.

Soldato
So now I have a AW3423DW and the AW3225QF in the same room on two systems. Going to keep this fairly brief after playing a few games back to back.

After more than a year I can't say I ever noticed the VRR flicker on the AW3423DF (175Hz). After seeing the video and having the issue highlighted I have been able to spot it on a couple of games but you really have to look for it.

Now using Icarus on the AW3423DW I can see some flicker on one of the main game menus but never in the in game workbench menus or in the open world. On the AW3225QF (240Hz) I can open one particular workbench menu and there is some flicker on the static grey background.

Reducing the AW3225QF refresh to 120Hz completely fixes the flicker, as expected I guess. I was going to up the refresh a few steps but currently I can only select 120Hz or 240Hz and the custom resolution option under the nVidia control panel is disabled. Tried a couple of fixes but currently can't create a 175Hz to match the AW3423DW which was the first option I wanted to try.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just received my monitor from the Dell online outlet. The wait was a bit annoying for an in stock item but I guess it could have come from anywhere in reality. Had a good look over and so far only found a repaired hole in the box. Monitor was packaged like new and seems to have the better shipping wrap. After setting it up I did notice some spots to one side of the screen on the surface but they cleaned off with glass cleaner. No scratches.

Firmware was 103 so updated to 105. So far compared to my previous AW3423DW it's very similar in overall image quality as expected. The extra resolution is definitely noticeable in games as is the modest bump in screen refresh. This monitor feels bigger overall compared to the UW screen. I'm pretty sure I'll stick to this monitor now.
I now assume this monitor was returned due to the VRR flicker issue as there's nothing else wrong with it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Reducing the AW3225QF refresh to 120Hz completely fixes the flicker. I was going to up the refresh a few steps but currently I can only select 120Hz or 240Hz and the custom resolution option under the nVidia control panel is disabled. Tried a couple of fixes but currently can't create a 175Hz to match the AW3423DW which was the first option I wanted to try.

Interesting. That would do me fine. I can just go 240hz on certain games that I feel will benefit from it or until it gets a firmware fix.

Soldato
My Sound blaster hdmi ARC soundbar works well now with this monitor since the latest firmware update installed, initially i had some issues with sound not always being detected and a few cracks and pop here and there well that seems to have been fixed now.

I also noticed my Sounblaster Katana V2 shows as a device in the input menu of the monitor now were as before it didn't.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with text fringing?I have a 27 inch oled 360hz 1440p and the text is terrible for me.i love warhammer 3 and its really blurred. Not sure if I should try another brand or just go 4k again

Soldato
Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with text fringing?I have a 27 inch oled 360hz 1440p and the text is terrible for me.i love warhammer 3 and its really blurred. Not sure if I should try another brand or just go 4k again
I can see some if I hold a magnifying glass up close to black text on a white background so to me it's not visible in normal use.

Associate
Have you got any examples of the text fringing on warhammer 3?

I actually found the QD-OLED 1440p monitors better than the WOLED 1440p ones for text clarity. I'd even say the QD 1440p wasn't too far off my IPS monitor for text clarity at 1440p.

Have you got clear type enabled?

Associate

Not had an issue with it myself yet, are you on an nvidia gpu? What scaling are you using?

Soldato
Is it even possible to tell the difference going 240 > 360hz? Doubt it would even from 144 > 360.

What gpu can push 360hz in modern title games anyway?

Not much point playing in lowest possible settings - it will look like ass so will surely be a disadvantage, ‘but wow, i get 500fps’

Associate
Is it even possible to tell the difference going 240 > 360hz? Doubt it would even from 144 > 360.

Not much point playing in lowest possible settings - it will look like ass so will surely be a disadvantage, ‘but wow, i get 500fps’
I’m in my 40s and I can tell the difference going from 240 to 360hz, it’s not just input lag but you also get improved motion clarity and smoothness which is very visible to me.
Since I started using it 120hz looks choppy to me now lol.
Yes it’s hard to get 360hz in modern games but even using desktop feels way better.
I’m currently playing Destiny 2 and Ghostrunner (with ray tracing) and both games consistently push over 300fps.

Last edited:
Associate
Returned it in the end. Seems these panels still have issues rendering text. Much better than last few gens but still not usable for me unfortunately.

Interesting how everyone's experience varies so much with these displays.

Yes you can tell the difference, as z10m noted motion clarity is another part of the process, so you can focus on a moving image and it still looks sharper than at lower frame rates.

I can only speak for myself, but if you're in for a 360hz monitor then you probably already have a list of titles you know can run in the 300-600 fps range, even if it requires the assistance of fsr/dlss

MW3
Valorant
CS2
RB6

Are some of the games that can hit that for me, without a reduction in the visuals of the game.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the 360hz as much as I did which has got me thinking of acquiring the LG 480hz panel, that's how much of an experience impact 360hz has had for me.

And the desktop experience is simply lovely.

HP28t5.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting how everyone's experience varies so much with these displays.

Yes you can tell the difference, as z10m noted motion clarity is another part of the process, so you can focus on a moving image and it still looks sharper than at lower frame rates.

I can only speak for myself, but if you're in for a 360hz monitor then you probably already have a list of titles you know can run in the 300-600 fps range, even if it requires the assistance of fsr/dlss

MW3
Valorant
CS2
RB6

Are some of the games that can hit that for me, without a reduction in the visuals of the game.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the 360hz as much as I did which has got me thinking of acquiring the LG 480hz panel, that's how much of an experience impact 360hz has had for me.

And the desktop experience is simply lovely.

HP28t5.png
MW3 being Modern Warfare 3 at 300-600fps ‘without a reduction in the visuals of the game.’ What GPU???

Back
Top Bottom