• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Caporegime
Tbh AMD could cut the desktop market loose and totally focus on the laptop/mobile segment and make more money imo (they just don't have the allocation to go 'all-in' on both). Nvidia make a loooooooot of bank with laptops for sure.

Soldato
AMD has nothing to worry about cause, 'The sun'll come out tomorrow, so ya gotta hang on 'til tomorrow come what may. Tomorrow, tomorrow! I love ya tomorrow! You're always a day away!"

Associate
GPU sales bad. What's new? No seriously, if even Nvidia had good GPU sales, then the 4000 SUPER series wouldn't be what it is, even the green machine has seen reduction in sales too.
Probably customers realising it's not worth it to get shafted with GPUs nowadays.

So AMD sales might be down, but GPU sales as a whole are down. Saw a chart in the 'When will GPU prices come down' thread of GPU units sold being at all time low.

Fingers crossed this is a kick in the teeth for AMD to stop following Nvidia's lead with poor pricing to performance and to price (and name) their GPUs better in the future.

Even still, I wouldn't even look at Nvidia GPUs this gen (surprising? eh?), due to the poor value proposition and lack of good sales.
I care nothing for upscaling via DLSS and don't play games that use ray-tracing.
Meanwhile, there's some juicy deals up for grabs on RX 7000 series. If it weren't for new GPUs around the corner (that hopefully have better value), I'd have nabbed one for my new build.
Or worst case the new GPUs are terrible and EOL sales on RX7000 series is the best upgrade for an almost 10 year old GPU :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends what you are doing and priority in terms of compatibility, quality (some encoders do better at different bitrates, etc.), latency, performance impact, etc. the hardware encoder on nVidia GPUs is the best option for a certain range of game streaming/recording, while you probably wouldn't want to use it for the end product for production work in many cases.
I guess if you're recording footage to edit later they might be OK, but I don't think you'd want to use it for streaming would you? As I understand it Twitch and presumably others have a limit for how fast you can upload to them, so with a GPU encoding the video you're going to be getting worse quality at the maximum bitrate?
And as for converting or processing video afterwards, no I imagine the increased file size would probably be a good reason not too even if it was a little quicker.

Caporegime
In my experience GPUs are not good for video encoding regardless of codec (well H264, H265 or AV1).

TBH i've always found Nvidia recording to be a better image quality, so i get what he's saying with NVENC, i agree, however with AV1 all that is moot, i record with AV1 on my AMD GPU and look at it, this is only at about half quality, the raw video file is almost emasculate, you can barley tell its a video, even after Youtube was done butchering it it still looks great.....

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH i've always found Nvidia recording to be a better image quality, so i get what he's saying with NVENC, i agree, however with AV1 all that is moot, i record with AV1 on my AMD GPU and look at it, this is only at about half quality, the raw video file is almost emasculate, you can barley tell its a video, even after Youtube was done butchering it it still looks great.....

But how does it compare in quality and file size compared to the same thing encoded by the CPU?

Man of Honour
I guess if you're recording footage to edit later they might be OK, but I don't think you'd want to use it for streaming would you? As I understand it Twitch and presumably others have a limit for how fast you can upload to them, so with a GPU encoding the video you're going to be getting worse quality at the maximum bitrate?
And as for converting or processing video afterwards, no I imagine the increased file size would probably be a good reason not too even if it was a little quicker.

I'm a bit out of the loop with latest lay of the land and some of the criticism related to NVENC (the hardware unit) itself is outdated - but there are different profiles where each had its strengths of weaknesses i.e. for streaming at lower to medium bitrates NVENC tends to suck but at medium to high it tends to be the better option for streaming but also depends on things like your latency requirements.

You can use NVENC with HEVC, AV1, etc. as well so depends what your requirements are.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But how does it compare in quality and file size compared to the same thing encoded by the CPU?
I know the best results are always going to be on the CPU, but its still damned good. its way better than NVENC was on my Nvidia GPU, way better, i would imagine its (AV1) just as good on ARC and Nvidia GPU's.

The old AMD GPU encoder could just never get that perfect crisp and colour accurate image quality no matter how high the bit rate, with AV1 tho... holly ____ it blew me away the first time a played that back and it was only a few GB, which for the length of the video...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a bit out of the loop with latest lay of the land and some of the criticism related to NVENC (the hardware unit) itself is outdated - but there are different profiles where each had its strengths of weaknesses i.e. for streaming at lower to medium bitrates NVENC tends to suck but at medium to high it tends to be the better option for streaming but also depends on things like your latency requirements.

You can use NVENC with HEVC, AV1, etc. as well so depends what your requirements are.
To be fair I'm mostly concerned with the best quality at the lowest file file size. I figured most things would basically come down to a quality vs size trade off.

Soldato
I know the best results are always going to be on the CPU, but its still damned good. its way better than NVENC was on my Nvidia GPU, way better, i would imagine its (AV1) just as good on ARC and Nvidia GPU's.

The old AMD GPU encoder could just never get that perfect crisp and colour accurate image quality no matter how high the bit rate, with AV1 tho... holly ____ it blew me away the first time a played that back and it was only a few GB, which for the length of the video...
I think that was mostly my point although I may have gone a little OTT. I'm not concerned with the video encoding abilities of a card as encoding via the CPU is almost always better in my experience.

Caporegime
Don't mean to go off topic but is AV1 better on AMD or NVidia cards? I stream so the quality of the AV1 encoder will matter in a future purchase.
If you look at the .h264 results (first image) you can see in red AMD fall behind in quality, confirming what @tamzzy and i were talking about. if you look at the AV1 results they are a tie.

Sh6r91E.png

eWsMKSK.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yet another click bait title, that title talks about .h264, which in their own article is meaningless as its about AV1 and in the article Toms say themselves they are all tied with AV1.

I'm starting to find click bait articles very tiering... i mean its not "Still fall behind" in your AV1 article, is it?????????? By your own conclusions!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've deleted the article from the post, i used to find it polite to link the article if i'm going to host and post their slides... but i'm not giving these people the click traffic for this click bait crap, google it if you want to read it....

Man of Honour
OP
Yet another click bait title, that title talks about .h264, which in their own article is meaningless as its about AV1 and in the article Toms say themselves they are all tied with AV1.

I'm starting to find click bait articles very tiering... i mean its not "Still fall behind" in your AV1 article, is it?????????? By your own conclusions!
yeah looks like AV1 is the great equaliser (tbh i haven't kept up with encoding, and until recently, as you've shown...nvenc was a superior implementation)
this would've been more important for small-time streamers as they wouldn't have needed a second pc/capture and could stream with relatively low cpu/gpu overhead

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah looks like AV1 is the great equaliser (tbh i haven't kept up with encoding, and until recently, as you've shown...nvenc was a superior implementation)
this would've been more important for small-time streamers as they wouldn't have needed a second pc/capture and could stream with relatively low cpu/gpu overhead
I don't think Twitch (and by extension Kick?) allow you to stream your video using AV1 yet (I think Twitch are introducing it as a beta or something). I know a lot of streamers that play FPS type games (or anything where there's a lot of action) already struggle with quality issues at 1080p so I'm not sure you'd want to compound that by using your GPU to encode your video.

Back
Top Bottom