• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Associate
I went through the press deck they had on their financial call and there's come interesting numbers in there. With regards to gaming and GPU's whilst revenue maybe declining what they do sell generates more profit and better margins then what Ryzen contributes (consumer CPU's made a loss in the previous quarter but bounced back thanks to the 8000 series). They also had $65m of stock losses at one of their manufacturers facilities, not sure what that's about but that's a lot money to be losing on dead products.
All about the details not the headline

Soldato
There's no competitor talk, so following the rules. I'm sure it be removed if goes against rules. But I think it's fine. Or should I just link videocardz page, but that shows a competitor name. Should I remove?

Last edited:
Soldato
You have now got our interest and full attention ;)
:D
images-1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I know the best results are always going to be on the CPU, but its still damned good. its way better than NVENC was on my Nvidia GPU, way better, i would imagine its (AV1) just as good on ARC and Nvidia GPU's.

The old AMD GPU encoder could just never get that perfect crisp and colour accurate image quality no matter how high the bit rate, with AV1 tho... holly ____ it blew me away the first time a played that back and it was only a few GB, which for the length of the video...
Would be interesting to if you tried it using the CPU to compare the quality.

I don't know what VMAF score is, but from my quick test there is a noticeable difference between CPU AV1 and GPU AV1 at the same bitrate. I had to have my GPU AV1 bitrate more than double that of the CPU AV1 bitrate to get similar quality.

Caporegime
Would be interesting to if you tried it using the CPU to compare the quality.

I don't know what VMAF score is, but from my quick test there is a noticeable difference between CPU AV1 and GPU AV1 at the same bitrate. I had to have my GPU AV1 bitrate more than double that of the CPU AV1 bitrate to get similar quality.

I only have an 8 core CPU (Ryzen 5800X) so i don't really have room to do that, i'm more than happy with AV1 on the GPU.

For testing i wouldn't even know how to do that that? i take it i would need something like OBS?

Soldato
I only have an 8 core CPU (Ryzen 5800X) so i don't really have room to do that, i'm more than happy with AV1 on the GPU.

For testing i wouldn't even know how to do that that? i take it i would need something like OBS?
Yes, I imagine so.
Or what I do, which isn't perfect I'll admit, take a recording at a much higher bitrate (so as close to lossless as you can get) and then use something like Handbrake to encode it at the bitrate you want. The advantage with this is that you can dedicate the CPU to just encoding.

Associate
AMD prices are coming down everywhere except uk it seems. you see it daily especially us and eu, but see very little movement here. dont call the uk treasure island for no reason
It's called Treasure Island for a completely different reason, but let's not get into that.

Soldato
uk was called treasure island because global companies could get away with with charging higher prices compared to Europe, the practice(accusation) was going on for for decades, iirc the creation of single market was supposed to sort it, but took an age. not a Brexit thing or illegal immigration thing. :p :)

Last edited:
Associate
AMD got it wrong on GPU. They should have targeted from the bottom up and not top down. They could have provided low end PC graphics capable of playing games at 720/1080p at 60 fps. Yeah ok not much profit but they would have bee more successful.

They will always be playing catch up with Nvidia with RTX and DLSS but their bespoke XBOX and PS5 graphics solutions show they could make the PC good at the bottom end.
It always puzzled me how AMD can make an APU like the series X but can't or won't put that into an APU on desktop. They would sell like hotcakes. Even if it's a loss leader just do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
It always puzzled me how AMD can make an APU like the series X but can't or won't put that into an APU on desktop. They would sell like hotcakes. Even if it's a loss leader just do it.
Yeah, always perplexed me how AND with their cup /gpu know how never did it in the PC. Now they have done it in consoles but still in the PC.

Soldato

Its because it requires a custom motherboard to get the best out of it, which AMD doesn't want to make and you have to ask how many gamers would spent that money on an APU that requires a custom board and therefore a custom case to put it into as well

Associate
Its because it requires a custom motherboard to get the best out of it, which AMD doesn't want to make and you have to ask how many gamers would spent that money on an APU that requires a custom board and therefore a custom case to put it into as well
What's stopping them putting said Apu,into an ATX motherboard with a X64 socket? Their other APUs don't require a custom mobo to my knowledge. Sure the board might need better power delivery but how hard can it be? I'm not an expert at all btw,so don't have a pop at me please.

Caporegime

lN9SuJ9.png

Caporegime
You know what i think AMD are doing....

They are MCM. I think they will use these APU's as dGPU's (RX 8000 series) with higher power targets, if they don't sell in OEM they get shuffled to retail dGPU and if they don't sell retail they get shuffled as APU's, one chip, multiple uses. I think AMD are done developing specific dGPU's.

Back
Top Bottom