• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Soldato
Is this including OEM sales? If so I bet a lot of it is that. The default seems to be Nvidia cards.

I switched to AMD a while back as I kept having Geforce cards die after a couple of years. Not had the issue with Radeons.

They are slowly killing PC gaming between though. People are being priced out. It's also the reason progress on the graphics front has been pretty much stagnant for over a decade.

Last edited:
Associate
Good cards aren't they? :)
Very good, I often found myself playing games that didn't need the grunt of a 4090 anyway. It was just nice to know when you were playing demanding games, this was the best you can get at the moment. But as I'll probably be playing multiplayer shooters the most and random indie games and sports games. The logical part of my brain knows I don't need a 5090 for the most part.

Soldato
There seems to have been a massive overreaction to these quarterly results. The sky is falling, AMD GPUs are dead, nobody's buying them, etc. Great clickbait to push a narrative. And yet they were steadily gaining discrete GPU market share from Nvidia throughout last year according to JPR's numbers.

ZIO4ChX.png

I'm not sure A) why being down in Q1 versus Q4 is being touted as unusual in consumer electronics and B) why the gaming side of the business is being limited to Radeon graphics cards by the PC-centric media. It covers a lot more than that, including their dealings in the console business. Demand for the PS5 and Xbox consoles has been slow, resulting in Sony cutting their sales forecast by millions a few months back, whilst Xbox is in such a bad spot that people thought they might be quitting hardware entirely. That's something which also directly affects AMD.

We all know where the overreaction comes from and it has always been the case. Nvidia fans will play down everything positive and focus on the negatives when it comes to AMD news. The consoles account for 90% of their gpu sales so quite obvious why the results look poor. On the PC side their gains are getting better and will probably going to be capitalized upon with RDNA4 mid and low tier cards.

Caporegime
Yup I like them for sure, esp the software suite and being able to easily give each game its own profile for pretty much every tweak inc oc/uv ones!

That's useful for me in Unreal Engine, i spend hours in there and i don't need the FPS, so for that i set a very underclocked profile, loads it automatically everytime i fire it up and switches back to a global profile every time i close it again, i love that, its a useful quality of life feature.

Associate
1440p with 90 to 120FPS - im happy. Ray tracing is a bonus if i get decent FPS. I gotta be honest I'd like to try out a 7900GRE over my 3080.
Crazy you gotta buy a monitor each time you jump up a "K."

Caporegime
That's useful for me in Unreal Engine, i spend hours in there and i don't need the FPS, so for that i set a very underclocked profile, loads it automatically everytime i fire it up and switches back to a global profile every time i close it again, i love that, its a useful quality of life feature.
It's one thing I wouldn't blame Nvidia copying because I feel it would be useful for a lot of gamers/tweakers like us.

Soldato
We all know where the overreaction comes from and it has always been the case. Nvidia fans will play down everything positive and focus on the negatives when it comes to AMD news. The consoles account for 90% of their gpu sales so quite obvious why the results look poor. On the PC side their gains are getting better and will probably going to be capitalized upon with RDNA4 mid and low tier cards.
I actually don't think it's nvidia fans all by themselves. No instead the majority off this clickbait nonsense stems from how the internet is these days coupled with the general publics 0% attention span. Everything has to be on rapid fire, darn the precising of it or how it might sound on first glance. Actually the worse it sounds the better cause it will generate clicks.. clicks and more blipping clicks.

woosah-ears.png

Soldato
Had AMD come to market last year with their current prices they would have won the generation and I’d be rocking a Radeon in my PC right now but in the end it’s to late in the day now as most people who were going to buy have already bought and most likely went Nvidia as the price difference back then wasn’t enough to make people switch sides.

Caporegime
Had AMD come to market last year with their current prices they would have won the generation and I’d be rocking a Radeon in my PC right now but in the end it’s to late in the day now as most people who were going to buy have already bought and most likely went Nvidia as the price difference back then wasn’t enough to make people switch sides.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand breathe.....

Soldato
I went through the press deck they had on their financial call and there's come interesting numbers in there. With regards to gaming and GPU's whilst revenue maybe declining what they do sell generates more profit and better margins then what Ryzen contributes (consumer CPU's made a loss in the previous quarter but bounced back thanks to the 8000 series). They also had $65m of stock losses at one of their manufacturers facilities, not sure what that's about but that's a lot money to be losing on dead products.

Back
Top Bottom