• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Man of Honour
lN9SuJ9.png

A cpu with 40 CU's... nice.

Man of Honour
It is... there is your console type APU.... :) Its about time, frankly...

Not been keeping up much tbh... I've been happily sat with my TR 3960x and 6800xt / 128gb 3466 DDR4 - This is the second system ive built on the TR platform thats just been absolutely bullet proof and nothing has given me any reason to consider an upgrade. looking forward to some new hardware mind as eventually I will get bored of this.

Caporegime
Not been keeping up much tbh... I've been happily sat with my TR 3960x and 6800xt / 128gb 3466 DDR4 - This is the second system ive built on the TR platform thats just been absolutely bullet proof and nothing has given me any reason to consider an upgrade. looking forward to some new hardware mind as eventually I will get bored of this.

After 8 years with Nvidia and wholly unimpressed with the 4070 i held my nose, stopped thinking and dived in on this for £480 at the time.

Glad i did it, what an absolute little beast of a GPU. Very happy with it.

Man of Honour
After 8 years with Nvidia and wholly unimpressed with the 4070 i held my nose, stopped thinking and dived in on this for £480 at the time.

Glad i did it, what an absolute little beast of a GPU. Very happy with it.

I wont lie I dont think ive ever had issues with my AMD cards... the last few ive owned have never really caused me any problems... I still have the 7 in the wifes machine and its still ticking along nicely. I am sure NV are probably better but I am still stead fast on not buying their products and can still say that the last NV GPU I owned was a GeForce 3 Ti 500 :D (yes that's 23 years since I have bought NV)- In my repair pile right now though I do have a 3080 and 3 other NV cards though so although I dont buy them I have used quite a few.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's stopping them putting said Apu,into an ATX motherboard with a X64 socket? Their other APUs don't require a custom mobo to my knowledge. Sure the board might need better power delivery but how hard can it be? I'm not an expert at all btw,so don't have a pop at me please.
Technically they could but the SoC in consoles is closer in design/construction to a graphics card with a CPU attached than a CPU with a GPU. As in the SoC in console uses GDDR and with that it needs to be physically close to the processor and the length of the traces are important for timing reasons.

Essentially they'd have to sell not only the APU but a matching board and matched memory modules, at that point you have ask why bother, why not just buy a console.

Caporegime
I wont lie I dont think ive ever had issues with my AMD cards... the last few ive owned have never really caused me any problems... I still have the 7 in the wifes machine and its still ticking along nicely. I am sure NV are probably better but I am still stead fast on not buying their products and can still say that the last NV GPU I owned was a GeForce 3 Ti 500 :D (yes that's 23 years since I have bought NV)- In my repair pile right now though I do have a 3080 and 3 other NV cards though so although I dont buy them I have used quite a few.

Its been rock solid, spent the first couple of weeks finding its OC and undervolt limits, all that ever happened was the driver reset itself, it never crashed out of the desktop or failed to recover, all i ever got was a "performance settings reset, stop being a ~~~~" massage.

You're not missing out on anything for the green side, its been bloody perfect for me and the driver UI / features are better on AMD, much better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've actually just yesterday uninstalled MSI AB, after i don't know how many years of running it... after customising the OSD that's just better than Rivatuner, overclocking and undervolting just works in the driver, so i don't need that, i can set per game overclocks, per game enabled features, even per game custom screen settings... dead easy, in the drivers.

like, Welp, don't need that anymore...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've actually just yesterday uninstalled MSI AB, after i don't know how many years of running it... after customising the OSD that's just better than Rivatuner, overclocking and undervolting just works in the driver, so i don't need that, i can set per game overclocks, per game enabled features, even per game custom screen settings... dead easy, in the drivers.

like, Welp, don't need that anymore...
I have to use AB atm unfort, if I set Chill but use a -10 PL in the Adrenaline drivers I get a lock up after the game exits. With AB I can just run it all the time (Global setting resets itself in AMD for me after a little time). Other than that I'd gladly ditch it!

Caporegime
I have to use AB atm unfort, if I set Chill but use a -10 PL in the Adrenaline drivers I get a lock up after the game exits. With AB I can just run it all the time (Global setting resets itself in AMD for me after a little time). Other than that I'd gladly ditch it!

I think you have to have fastboot enabled or it doesn't save the OC for whatever reason, that is a bit of a ____ for some but i run fastboot anyway.

You can export all of your settings to file and upload... for if for whatever reason it resets.

After 3 months i'm still finding new stuff in here....

5cQu4To.png

Associate
Caporegime
Also don't have MSI apply its settings on startup, i think its the windows button on the top right, i find that is the cause with some people who complain the Adrenalin OC reset on startup, sometime if you're also running MSI and have that apply OC settings on start up enabled it will over ride the Adrenalin settings.

Soldato
For contrast, I've had issues with my 3 previous AMD cards (Vega 64 LC, Vega 56 and Fury X).

I also like using Afterburner for monitoring, etc. as I can use it regardless of vendor and it keeps things consistent. I'm not a huge fan of the control panel for either side. Nvidia CP does look dated but AMD CP looks like built to be used on a tablet and I hate using things that look like they're designed for a tablet on a PC.

Caporegime
Problem for amd is that they now have to compete with intel on the gpu front.

Competition is good and in a round about way you're right, AMD and Intel are in competition, but not before going through Nvidia....
Intel took market share from Nvidia, not AMD, then AMD took it from Intel...

Not quite what Intel had in mind, Intel talks about taking AMD's marketshare because they don't want to poke the lion, but it seems to be happening by proxy, Intel sneaks the lions lunch, AMD steals it from Intel.... be careful AMD don't then poke the lion and point the finger at Intel :D

HzLM40I.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
so how come AMD can make efficient cpu's but not efficient gpus. Radeon(AMD) division haven't hired intels cpu dept by any chance have they :cry:

Something which is annoying on the Ryzen Z1 Extreme - the CPU will sit there at idle barely using any power, the GPU part of the SoC is still guzzling down 4-5 watt despite hardly doing anything.

Caporegime
so how come AMD can make efficient cpu's but not efficient gpus. Radeon(AMD) division haven't hired intels cpu dept by any chance have they :cry:

5nm vs 4nm, AMD also have a habit of overvolting their GPU's, they always have.

I run my 7800 XT with a heavy undervolt, 1030 mv from 1150 mv and overclocked to within a couple of % of a 4070 ti, the total board power in games is between 260 and 270 watts, this is about 10 watts higher than stock with that performance level, the 4070 ti is 284 watts in gaming, according to TPU, yes the 4070 Ti can undervolt too, but nothing like that much. And i'm running 2 more memory IC's and a wider bus.

If not for AMD just arbitrarily rounding up to the nearest 200 mv to get a round number there is actually little difference between them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom