• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Caporegime
OP
2.2.3 is the version im using, I used to be able to get voltage unlock on my old 460, only time I have seen this myself (apart form now) was when my mate got his 570 twin frozr and after a year it still doesn't allow voltage unlock.

Been tinkering about with the unofficial method this evening and no joy, may just have to use the asus software.

Which card have you got?

Maybe its a known issue with afterburner?

Caporegime
OP
Its a MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III OC.

I think someone else in this thread has had luck with the very same card.

Hmm, no idea then tbh unless that 7850 owner comes forward and shares his oats.

What is a max safe voltage you can put through a 7850 any ideas? I dont wanna go anymore than 1.25v if im honest

I think all 7xxx cards have a limit of 0.125mv which you can add before over current protection kicks in and the gpu shuts down requiring a restart.

I know this is the case with 7970's as i can make it kick in when using OCCT GPU 4.3.

Uisng this calculation my stock volts are 1.112. Plus 0.125mv = 1.234. So, if i exceed that voltage in afterburner then there is a chance of OCP kicking in.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for that Matt much appreciated

Find out your stock voltage, add 0.125mv and you should be good up to that. Maybe leave a little bit of leeway.

I can trigger OCP in my 7970 @ 1.2volts which is a fair bit under my limit but these power virus software really push the cards beyond normal levels. :eek:

Caporegime
OP
2.2.3 is the version im using, I used to be able to get voltage unlock on my old 460, only time I have seen this myself (apart form now) was when my mate got his 570 twin frozr and after a year it still doesn't allow voltage unlock.

Been tinkering about with the unofficial method this evening and no joy, may just have to use the asus software.

On the Afterburner version i received on disc with my MSI 7950, i didn't have access to voltage. I today redownloaded latest version from the link below and i am now able to change the core voltage: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Thanks for letting us know.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, I am just using the CCC Overdrive now. It seems to be cruising along happily at 1100 core, 1300 Memory. This will do just fine for now :)

Yep it seems as if most 7xxx cards max out ccc overclocks without touching vcore, its very impressive compared to previous gen amd cards.

Caporegime
OP
Added the 2 extra dll files into the afterburner folder and added the /xcl can confirm my ccc limits have now been increased. Removed the /xcl shortcut and rebooted, ticked unlocked voltage control etc under settings but still cant ajust it. I have even tried changing the unlockvoltage part of the cfg file to 1 but still no luck! This is with the 12.3 drivers, i dont believe voltage unlock would differ across different drivers though would it?

Probably not but if its the only thing you haven't tried then it might be worth a shot. These 12.8 drivers are insane in membrane.

I just noticed you have the MSI 7850. I don't think afterburner supports voltage control on your card yet, which is most odd considering its an msi card.

You could use trixxx i believe to change the voltage in the meantime.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers matt, is kinda weird that afterburner wouldn't support voltage for its own card. What would you say would be the better option out of Asus GPU Tweak and Trixx? Will it be ok to keep AB installed or will it conflict do you think?

Thanks again pal

I've never used GPU tweak but trixxx seems ok. Its no afterburner but it does the basics well and thats all that matters.

Not sure about about using them both at the same time, you might find as you click apply on one it changes the settings on the other.

If you use trixx though you will be on the un official overclock method. However if its that or no overclocking at all then id just go with it.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks again matt, so frustrating i've always used AB with no issues. Well i might try my luck first on AB as i now have more core to play with, running 1050/1200 at stock so i guess i'll have to say how far i can push the stock voltage. My asic is showing as 85.1% so hopefully i might have a good clocker

Thats a higher than average asic you have there, might well be a good clocker.

I'm a member of the msi forum, ill start a thread and ask if they know why afterburner isnt working with their own card and report back here.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers for that Matt much appreciated. Really wanna perhaps try BF3 on ultra using mainly high at the mo bar shadows on medium and it seems to run well. Downloading the new 2.5gb patch now, you going on later?

Once you've played Bf3 on full ultra with 4xaa there's no going back. :cool:

Yep downloaded the patch 30+ minutes ago, battlelog is still down for the update though. Ready to get the server going as soon as it goes live again.

Caporegime
OP
battlefield fun online too? only played the campaign so far (finished last night). not too overrun with cheats or anything?

Great fun online. A load of us from ocuk play on my server. If you feel like joining us you can visit us here. http://cq247.co.uk/

Mal does trixx have an OSD like Afterburner would you know?

No it does not, but until afterburner supports your card its the best you can do.

Caporegime
OP
Liam ive had a thought. I'm pretty sure your card will have been shipped with an MSI driver install cd, on that cd will be a copy of afterburner. You could try using that version, maybe that version will let you use voltage control. Its a long shot but worth a try.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, I have. It's a bit short but pretty challenging on hard, and visually stunning. The 'plot' is nonsense, but it's about the best looking game I've played. (Haven't played BF3 though!)

Alf you haven't lived. Try out battlefield 3 asap!

Sleeping dogs on extreme makes metro 2033 seem like a cakewalk on the gpu, visually sleeping dogs looks superb as well.

Caporegime
OP
Good idea mate i'll try and dig it out! Just cranked up the core to 1080 on stock volts and played BF3 just fine :) might try a sneaky 1100 but i cant see it holding

Yeah thats pretty good. Let me know how you get on once you push it as far as it'll go without a voltage bump. Run it at x2 then try x4.

Caporegime
OP
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277658-11-display-driver-crash-7970

ok thanks, i'm going to back off the gpu to 1200 from 1220, i saw another guy with his at 1.12v, so this seems ok, but for now i'll stick with 1.19 , that's if Trixx hasn't defaulted back when i start gaming tonight.....bloody hell i hope not, or i'll really start to worry

i'm bloody useless with this software stuff, it's all too complicated, you really need to make this a hobby before you can even start to understand it, i love building the rigs and messing around with them, it's so damned easy, but it's all this software stuff i hate, i'm getting better, but i'm still crap at it.

I use 1.175 @1200 Core. Stock for me is 1.112 and thats good up to about 1120.

Back
Top Bottom