• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon drivers reliable enough to warrant buying one

Caporegime
After 22 years my friend had Radeon 9700 Pro, today he read it and told me Nvidia driver are still the best rock solid for 22 years but he not really surprised AMD driver still suck rubbish very unstable nightmare hell POS. Sadly AMD Radeon driver never changed after 22 years!

Did you get bopped on the head with a mallet while typing that?

Man of Honour
Nah, you don't - you're not that daft. No one is. ;)
I think AMD did enough to create the perception on their own, but to be fair, thinking a multi trillion $$ company might seed negative stories about the competition isn't that far fetched, except stats like this would suggest competition isn't their first priority :o

"AMD Top 3 Institutional Shareholders

Vanguard Group Inc.
(Sept. 30, 2023), Vanguard Group owns roughly 8.7% of total shares

BlackRock Inc.
(Sept. 30, 2023), BlackRock owns shares of AMD, representing 7.21% of total shares"

"nvidia Top 3 Institutional Shareholders

Vanguard Group Inc.
(Dec. 31, 2021) Vanguard Group owns 48.0 million shares of Nvidia, representing 7.7% of total shares

BlackRock Inc.
BlackRock owns 44.8 million shares of Nvidia, representing 7.2% of total shares"

Caporegime
It's basically always the same spiel when it comes to the driver question, stories from friends from years ago more often than not. Go onto tech sites on Facebook, look at the comments and you see the same thing, people that have never owned an amd card spinning stories about how bad the drivers supposodly are.

That whole tiny Corp thing is also laughable, using gaming gpus and gaming grade software for something they're not intended for. They're trying to do something on the cheap and then crying about it when it's not working for them. Last I checked a 7900 xtx was for gaming, so whats it matter if the softwares unstable in whatever way they're trying to use it? Slapping that up as supposed point to indicate dodgy software was scraping the barrel to say the least.

Soldato
Not on AMD anymore, but I had no issues with my r9 290 and my brother is still using an RX580 which has been rock solid. I still want AMD to add more vsync controls (no options for stuff like half vsync and can only force on open-gl games), but stablitly wise I had no issues.

Associate
Never! :cry::mad: Not since my friend owned Radeon 9700 Pro in 2002, he was so sick and very fedup of drivers bugs and reinstall drivers back and forward every month after broken many games he played, he told me Radeon drivers are absolutely massive pain in ass. I bought Radeon HD 4870 in 2008 because Radeon owners on NvNews forum persuaded me to gave ATi a chance for first time, they claimed drivers was massive improved since 2002 but oh my god not in my experience, the drivers are the worst nightmare hell with tons of useless settings more than very simplify Nvidia driver with very few settings, none of games ran properly after cleaned installed Vista and tried XP SP3 then RMAed Radeon HD 4870 and bought Geforce GTX 260, I was amazed games ran properly with GTX 260 after installed Nvidia driver, it just worked with default setttings. My sister bought Lenovo laptop at Currys around 2014 for work at college, laptop used AMD Llano APU, she texted me told me she bought new laptop, had problems ran games on it then I showed her my desktop PC with Nvidia GPU and my laptop with Intel iGPU, told her the whole truth about Radeon worst drivers then she returned laptop to Currys exchanged for other Lenovo laptop with Intel iGPU and she was happy every games ran worked fine on Intel iGPU.

After 22 years my friend had Radeon 9700 Pro, today he read it and told me Nvidia driver are still the best rock solid for 22 years but he not really surprised AMD driver still suck rubbish very unstable nightmare hell POS. Sadly AMD Radeon driver never changed after 22 years!
is this a joke post ?

Soldato
Gonna go with a no.

I was AMD card user for years and years until i bought a 3060Ti. I swapped it out for a 6700xt when gibbo had a deal on here a while back, had nothing but trouble with it microstutters and needed a PHD in adrenaline software to jsut get it working, under volts etc ridiciulous. Chucked my 3060Ti back in and smooth as butter. Yes I did complete driver installs and uninstalls. I will never touch AMD again.

Soldato
Over my 22 years of PC gaming I have around 19 years on ATI/AMD cards. I am not gonna say its flawless as its PC gaming and you can run into issues where that's drivers, game bugs or hardware but pretty much problem free for me. My first card was an mx420 from Nvidia which was rubbish but drivers were fine. Had a 8800gtx which blew up but driver issues were no less or more. Although there was a Nvidia driver bug that may have caused it but again could just be faulty hardware. Had a 290x die on me as well. When my hardware has lasted the drivers have been fine. I would say if things are bad from the start it could be more of a faulty card than a driver problem. If Ati/Amd drivers were to cause me issues I wouldn't use them as I do a ton of gaming and have done for many years. I can happily say unless you are very unlucky it should be plain sailing on AMD. I can't say the same for Nvidia as have not used them for a long time but pretty sure Nvidia users would say its all good as it most likely is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never! :cry::mad: Not since my friend owned Radeon 9700 Pro in 2002, he was so sick and very fedup of drivers bugs and reinstall drivers back and forward every month after broken many games he played, he told me Radeon drivers are absolutely massive pain in ass. I bought Radeon HD 4870 in 2008 because Radeon owners on NvNews..........continued babble.....

In 2004 I bought a Geforce 6800 Ultra and it died so now I guess all Nvidia gpus are rubbish and break....

Associate
It's funny I always have in my head the time I was stuck on like driver 300 something on a gtx 979 for over a year because it would crash on any updated driver. And also the time the driver was burning gpus. The amd driver problems as far as I've heard ( never experienced them myself ) have all just been reduced performance or a black screen on the 5700 xt. But still AMD drivers are considered worse...

I've had no problem with my 6700 xt since owning it. Over a year.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with AMD drivers, I'd certainly not say Nvidia were better in that regard either.

Then there's the user control panel, Nvidia's looks like something from 2001. AMD's control panel is vastly superior as far as I'm concerned.

Associate
I've had lots of ATI/AMD cards all the way back to a 9700 Pro and before. I've also had a fair few Nvidia cards back to the TNT2 Ultra.

Mostly, ownership of both has been trouble free for both or only minor issues for a particular game, and nothing a 5 minute Google search couldn't fix (at least in my cases) ie. Disabling fast startup in Windows for AMD back in the day or disabling MPO for a 3060ti (which had previously fixed a colleagues 5700's blank screens).

The most recent issue which could have been mistakenly blamed on drivers was constant crashing in The Last of Us (a section in Bill's Town) with my 6900XT. The fix was to turn Smart access memory off. Now, if I'd only had access to the AMD card I'd be thinking driver bug. However, my daughter later played through the same game and had crashes at the same point with the 3060ti, switched rebar off and it was fixed.

I guess my point is both manufacturers have their issues but never discount bad software from the equation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had an issue back in the R9 290 days when a driver update didn’t install properly and I had to manually uninstall it, but that’s the only issue I remember in possibly 2 decades of using AMD GPUs.

To be fair, I don’t play with GPU settings beyond selecting which features I want to run, so folks that play with clocks and undervolting might have a very different experience.

Soldato
A lot of my mates are mainstream gamers and have bought AMD cards recently. So a mix of RX6600/RX6600XT/RX6650XT/RX6700XT/RX6750XT/RX6800 cards because they are under £400 now and they have been mostly fine AFAIK. Also known quite a few people who had Polaris cards which mostly worked fine. None of them are enthusiasts.My own recent experience of AMD has been with an RX470, RX5600XT and RX5700XT and they have been OK.

Also had an ATI 9500 PRO back in the day which was fine and sold it on to someone else who had no problems AFAIK. There was FUD being spread by certain Nvidia fans on the drivers, just because the Nvidia FX series was rubbish. It had rubbish hardware and rubbish software support.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I switched from a RTX 3070 to a RX 7900 GRE last month and have had zero problems. I DDU'd the Nvidia drivers shut down and removed the Nvidia card, fitted the AMD card booted up and installed the drivers and they work fine, same with the latest version that was installed over the top of the original one. It's taking me a while to find my way around the software as everything you could wish for is in the full install version but I eventually figured out how to undervolt the card in the driver. Probablt the only thing I miss is DLSS but the card has enough grunt to hit my monitors 165 fps max at 1440p and freesync works a treat so it's not a big deal. This is my first AMD card since the original 6900 series a long time ago. I had no problems with the drivers back then and have none now.

Back
Top Bottom