• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Permabanned
AMD’s hotly-anticipated Zen 5 CPUs could launch at the end of this year, lining up closely with Intel’s Arrow Lake release - which could spell trouble for Team Blue and edge AMD further towards hard-earned desktop supremacy in the best processors ranking.

Chinese tech outlet UDN reports that AMD’s Zen 5 CPU will be in mass production by Q3 of this year, and notes that the flagship Zen 5 chips will be manufactured on 4nm process nodes. This is quite a shift from the previous Zen 4 generation of CPUs that are built on a 5nm process, which could bring about much better performance in the long run.

This new supposed timeline contradicts previous rumors that suggested the CPUs could already be in production, however, the end-of-year launch now seems to be consistent across the rumor mill, which gives us hope that we’ll see these new CPUs sooner rather than later - some older rumors even suggested that we might not see Zen 5 until 2025.

Last edited:
Associate
I want to buy a pc , first time since 2007 ish Still got a p5w Deluxe kentsfield cpu running at 3ghz I may add. Don’t use it. So ready to buy! But want to make sure I have the most up to date motherboard to use for the zen 5 chip. Do I get a pci 5.0 mobo now and buy piece by piece through the year and then get the cpu. Decisions. Prob should buy everything else apart from those

Associate
I want to buy a pc , first time since 2007 ish Still got a p5w Deluxe kentsfield cpu running at 3ghz I may add. Don’t use it. So ready to buy! But want to make sure I have the most up to date motherboard to use for the zen 5 chip. Do I get a pci 5.0 mobo now and buy piece by piece through the year and then get the cpu. Decisions. Prob should buy everything else apart from those
There's not much point investing in PCIE 5.0. I wouldn't buy piece by piece throughout the year personally, if something is faulty you'd have to RMA it instead of just returning within the 14 day window, and you might get a used replacement.

Caporegime
New chipset boards are coming out too so I'd buy the newest motherboard and chip at the same time tbh.

Associate
Definitely wanting to upgrade my 9900kf as it’s holding back my 6950xt at 1440p. Definitely keeping my eye out on Zen 5 - will be a good overall upgrade. Much higher ipc gains + pcie 5.0 for GPU and more NVME slots :D

Associate
pcie 5.0 for GPU
I'd expect the GPU performance gains from PCIE 4.0 to 5.0 to be less than 1% if this scaling chart is anything to go by.

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Soldato
OP
PCIE bandwidth affecting performance is a funny old thing to estimate

Take for example the above chart from TPU, it says PCIE gen1 only makes the 4090 lose 19% performance. So logically that means if I take a GPU that's 20% or more slower than the 4090 then that GPU should lose 0% performance on PCIE gen1, right???

And yet if I take a 3080 which 50% slower than an 4090 and then running in pcie1, it runs 13% slower! What gives???

This proves that even if your GPU maxes out the pcie bandwidth, it doesn't actually affect performance much and even if you throw in a much faster GPU it still doesn't affect it much, if you have are running in pcie gen1.1 and you have a 3080 and then buy a 4090 you still get a massive performance boost over the 3080

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom