• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
For example, some of the 650e motherboards force you to choose between populating all of the NVMe slots or using all the pcie lanes of your gpu.

Others kill pcie slots or NVMe slots depending on what you have plugged in

That wouldn’t necessarily be because of the chipset.

Associate
That wouldn’t necessarily be because of the chipset.

I thought it was, because it is a limitation of the number of pcie lanes. X670E boards seem to have far fewer issues as they 'double up' g so hopefully we will see some general consumer level boards with the new chips/chipsets that don't force you into difficult compromises

Soldato
I thought it was, because it is a limitation of the number of pcie lanes. X670E boards seem to have far fewer issues as they 'double up' g so hopefully we will see some general consumer level boards with the new chips/chipsets that don't force you into difficult compromises

It’s a case of paying your money and taking your choice, but the chipset is very much secondary. If you’re looking to add a boat load of 4x NVME then a board that supports bifurcation is probably the way to go.

The chipset has a set amount of bandwidth to the CPU. How the motherboard manufacturers use that bandwidth is on them. In theory you can add almost whatever you want to the chipset, the over all bandwidth limit will determine the performance throughputs.

Caporegime
have you tried 4 x 32gb or 4 x 48gb? what rated speeds and timings? 5200 and loose timings is best I can hope for with 7950x3d i have and above and its unstable for me.
What board and DIMMs are you using? Curious to see what the max validated speed and config is for your setup on the QVL.

Looking at the Hero QVL 4x48GB is rated up to 5200, 4x32GB is rated up to 5600. Seems fairly normal for the max speed to be lower at the higher capacities.

That said, I've seen people on overclock.net running 128GB at 6000Mhz, but it required manual tuning of timings, voltages etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
have you tried 4 x 32gb or 4 x 48gb? what rated speeds and timings? 5200 and loose timings is best I can hope for with 7950x3d i have and above and its unstable for me.

Some Motherboard's have an A and B channel where the B channel doesn't support above JDEC speeds, especially those early AM4 boards which lets face it were not always of the highest quality, that is a limitation of the Motherboard, not the CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
I hope AMD finally fixes they horrid IMC and populating all DIMM slots on motherboard.

I have never had a problem using all 4 slots, my old AM4 system all 4 slots filled will no problem at all.

My son's AM5 system has all 4 slots filled (4x16GB 6000Mhz CL32) using Expo II settings and is running great, I wasn't even planning to fill all his slots, but I had a spare identical ram kit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom