• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Caporegime
Oh, come on... is basically there with AMD which doesn't have dedicated HW for it where it comes to 4080 vs 7900xtx and 4090 "destroys" everything.

I highly doubt any one of the GPU players are holding back "true" performance vs upscaling tech. As per TPU GPU Database: 980ti vs 1080ti is around 67% extra. 1080ti vs 2080ti is only 31% indeed (but you get some new tech to play with), and then you go from 55% (3090) to 80% faster (3090ti) - both vs 2080ti. 4090 vs 3090 is 64% and 41% against 3090ti, but probably they could get back some extra performance with a "fuller" chip and basically all are within the same ballpark +/- - or a higher difference in RT/PT I'd guess.

Upscalers just give you some extra stuff before you need to drop settings significantly. Again, how much of the chip is dedicated to that and how much you could realistically gain by using hw dedicate to raster?

4060 is 10% faster than the 3060.
4060Ti is near identical to the 3060ti

Both for the same MSRP as their cited replacements.

The 4070 is the exception to this rule, tho not by much, it is 25% faster than the 3070, tho at $100 more its also 20% more expensive.

Then we get on to the joke, RTX 4080, 37% faster than the 3080 and 71% more expensive.

Put that in to context, RX 6700 XT $480, RX 7800 XT $500, 4% more expensive, and 47% faster....

Soldato
4060 is 10% faster than the 3060.
4060Ti is near identical to the 3060ti

Both for the same MSRP as their cited replacements.

The 4070 is the exception to this rule, tho not by much, it is 25% faster than the 3070, tho at $100 more its also 20% more expensive.

Then we get on to the joke, RTX 4080, 37% faster than the 3080 and 71% more expensive.

Put that in to context, RX 6700 XT $480, RX 7800 XT $500, 4% more expensive, and 47% faster....

Well, since there's no real competition on the market, prices are nuts, everyone does what they like. I was trying to point out more from a technology stand point, not marketing and PR bs.

So, 2070 super was 545mm2. 3070ti was 392mm2 and 42% faster and 28% smaller. 4080 (actually the x70 class for this gen), 379mm2 and 81% faster, around 3% smaller than 3070ti. 4090 at 609mm2, just a little less than 12% more than 2070 super, is 127% faster than 3070ti and 228% faster than 2070 Super...

I'd say that for the used die space, the performance is pretty decent and whatever space the upscaller hardware takes, doesn't really make such an impact.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, since there's no real competition on the market, prices are nuts, everyone does what they like. I was trying to point out more from a technology stand point, not marketing and PR bs.

So, 2070 super was 545mm2. 3070ti was 392mm2 and 42% faster and 28% smaller. 4080 (actually the x70 class for this gen), 379mm2 and 81% faster, around 3% smaller than 3070ti. 4090 at 609mm2, just a little less than 12% more than 2070 super, is 127% faster than 3070ti and 228% faster than 2070 Super...

I'd say that for the used die space, the performance is pretty decent and whatever space the upscaller hardware takes, doesn't really make such an impact.

None of this has anything to do with the point that i'm making, Nvidia are not giving you any price to performance upgrades from the last gen to this, in some cases there is actually a significant reduction in price to performance, what you're paying for, what Nvidia are making you pay for is DLSS, because you're happy to do it, and you'll be happy to pay even more for it in other ways at some point in the future.

you will pay and pay and pay and pay....... Nvidia know this. And they will take you for it.

Native is better than any upscaling, can we not have GPU's that are powerful enough to not need upscaling? How did we get to the point that we are rewarding these GPU vendors for selling us weak over priced GPU's that need upscaling which Nvidia then also use as a marketing tool for "added value" price hikes? What because they do that better than AMD?

We are doomed... The Nvidia fan base has a lot in common with the Apple fan base.

Last edited:
Soldato
None of this has anything to do with the point that i'm making, Nvidia are not giving you any price to performance upgrades from the last gen to this, in some cases there is actually a significant reduction in price to performance, what you're paying for, what Nvidia are making you pay for is DLSS, because you're happy to do it, and you'll be happy to pay even more for it in other ways at some point in the future.

you will pay and pay and pay and pay....... Nvidia know this. And they will take you for it.
Of course you pay since there is basically no competition. AMD is making you pay, too. Don't forget that.

Caporegime

And what exactly is your point? AMD are doing the same except with nvidia you are getting quality features which are usable and as evidenced, very good compared to the competition:

- dldsr
- rtx hdr
- dlss
- reflex
- better supported frame generation

etc. etc.

Again, software engineers time and R&D investments is not free.....

Of course you pay since there is basically no competition. AMD is making you pay, too. Don't forget that.

Sad thing is, they are making you pay the roughly similar premium price from the mid to flagship end and you're getting a worse overall experience/package. Only category amd make sense now imo is at the lower end =<4060 gpus.

Last edited:
Caporegime

AMD does not have DLSS, AMD can't make you pay for something they don't have, which is why in very stark contrast to Nvidia this generation of GPU's from AMD is a price to performance upgrade, right across the price range.

Its your choice to pay for this crap, AMD are not forcing you, i've bought my way out of that cycle and got myself an actual upgrade.

The price alternative for me on the Nvidia side was this pile of garbage.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Launch price $329

Launch price $299 18% faster than a 3060 12GB

Launch price $399

Launch price $399 10% faster than a 3060ti

?????

Caporegime
AMD does not have DLSS, AMD can't make you pay for something they don't have, which is why in very stark contrast to Nvidia this generation of GPU's from AMD is a price to performance upgrade, right across the price range.

Its your choice to pay for this crap, AMD are not forcing you, i've bought my way out of that cycle and got myself an actual upgrade.

Yup so instead you are paying for similar perf. at roughly the same price for a lesser package and lesser features overall, makes sense....

Be interested in seeing direct SR which Microsoft has been working on with amd and nvidia. Meant to be similar to FSR.

With nvidias input, I'm more hopeful on this now. It's still software based though and given auto hdr etc. I'm still not getting my hopes up. I suspect it'll be quite similar to UE TSR, which isn't bad and is better than amds upscaling but not as good as DLSS. Good to have more options for the games which don't include FSR or/and DLSS though.

Soldato
Sad thing is, they are making you pay the roughly similar premium price from the mid to flagship end and you're getting a worse overall experience/package.

I don't know what you mean exactly. :D

AMD does care as they've made FSR, including FG and are actively promoting this. Of course, they can't really compete with nVIDIA (from a quality perspective), outside of a rather narrow segment (4k)... It (upscaling), can't be ignore or just as well they could close up shop.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Finally FSR 3 ui etc. issues will be fixed in avatar, hopefully the random frame pacing issues are also fixed.

Tried out the update and seems like the ui issues are fixed but now the overall image is worse in motion lol..... Very noticeable blur and shimmering along with very bad jittering (which isn't shown on the frame latency overlay), not sure if this is the upscaling side or frame generation aspect. Vsync on and off makes no difference. Maybe just my end though, anyone else tried the update?

Caporegime
Tried out the update and seems like the ui issues are fixed but now the overall image is worse in motion lol..... Very noticeable blur and shimmering along with very bad jittering (which isn't shown on the frame latency overlay), not sure if this is the upscaling side or frame generation aspect. Vsync on and off makes no difference. Maybe just my end though, anyone else tried the update?

And it's not just me, others reporting the same:

I tried the update but it seems to me they completely broke fsr 3. It's not smooth at all now, even though the hud doesn't run at half frame rate anymore. It seems like it duplicates frames instead or interpolating them.

I just tried it and experienced the same thing. Kind of crazy really. They appear to have completely broken frame generation. It appears that they resolved the HUD frame rate vs interpolated frame rate mismatch by simply discarding all generated frames. So you get 120 fps according to the driver, but 60 of those are discarded. Hopefully I'm missing something else they need to fix this quickly.

Also robocops VRR is broken with fsr 3:

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
FSR3 support has been announced for The Last Of Us, Remnant II and Robocop Rogue City

Back
Top Bottom