• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
M6Z7MH8.png

sideeyechloe.jpg

:eek: :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
when amd announced ai accelerators they said they wanted to make character ai models behave more realistically and other stuff in games easier for devs, maybe thats their end goal instead of ai just for upscaling?

Soldato
Caporegime

I really deplore modern tech journalists, it used to be that they wouldn't dare write an article without first knowing the facts so they don't look like idiots when publishing those articles.

These days these people are not knowledgeable on their subject, too lazy to study what they are talking about and worst of all have no actual interest in the subject, they do know how to write clickbaity crap and that alone qualifies them.

There is no question about needing to wait for RDNA 4, there is no need because RDNA 3 does have dedicated AI accelerators, they are making this assumption because as they say themselves Nvidia and Intel have that and use it for upscaling, because AMD don't even with RDNA 3 they are assuming RDNA 3 doesn't have AI accelerators.

Well...... THEY DO, they do infact have dedicated AI accelerators and WITH Wave MMA, same as Nvidia and yes they can be used for image upscaling just like how Nvidia use them.

Last edited:
Associate
It’s probably a combination of my eyes failing me and the image quality/compression but I often struggle to tell the difference in the comparison shots used in these articles.

I’ve seen other comparisons where you could see more artifacts with FSR but I’m not entirely convinced i’d notice it during gameplay (or care).

Anyway that titbit in the article is interesting, really hope AMD have found a way to enable AI upscaling on current gen cards. Although FSR is not something i use often, it would be good to have the option to increase the longevity of my 7900xt.

Associate
I really deplore modern tech journalists, it used to be that they wouldn't dare write an article without first knowing the facts so they don't look like idiots when publishing those articles.

These days these people are not knowledgeable on their subject, too lazy to study what they are talking about and worst of all have no actual interest in the subject, they do know how to write clickbaity crap and that alone qualifies them.

There is no question about needing to wait for RDNA 4, there is no need because RDNA 3 does have dedicated AI accelerators, they are making this assumption because as they say themselves Nvidia and Intel have that and use it for upscaling, because AMD don't even with RDNA 3 they are assuming doesn't have AI accelerators.

Well...... THEY DO, they do infact have dedicated AI accelerators and WITH Wave MMA, same as Nvidia and yes they can be used for image upscaling just like how Nvidia use them.

I had no idea this was the case, I’m clearly a victim of the poor reporting! :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I had no idea this was the case, I’m clearly a victim of the poor reporting! :rolleyes:

AMD themselves should really be more proactive about their feature sets, similar to how Nvidia do, they have a page on it but it really doesn't go in to enough detail.

The Wiki page has slightly more detail.

RDNA 3 has dedicated AI acceleration with Wave MMA (matrix multiply-accumulate) instructions,[11] which can improve AI-based performance by 2.7x and also benefits ray tracing instructions, similar to Nvidia's Tensor cores

Caporegime
Its why i wasn't that interested in an RX 6800 XT when they were going for about the same money as the 7800 XT is now, i wanted the dedicated AI, its only a matter of time before AMD start doing AI stuff with their AI stuffs. so i waited...

Last edited:
Soldato

FSR4 with AI upscaling coming boys, let's go! Wonder if it's an rdna4 exclusive feature?

And potentially all it took to light a fire up AMD's ass was Microsoft announcing they are natively building a super resolution pipeline into DirectX and Windows 11, this pipeline enable XeSS, DLSS and FSR to all work with the same software API, use the same inputs and outputs and make it simple for the dev to enable - once the API is enabled in the game's code then the game automatically supports all three upscaling modes, so FSR is going to have to compete directly with XeSS and DLSS in many more games going forward

Soldato
It’s probably a combination of my eyes failing me and the image quality/compression but I often struggle to tell the difference in the comparison shots used in these articles.

Thats because 90% of the difference comes from when the camera is moving which they don't convey in still images, its why I stopped looking at technpowerup's comparisons a long time ago, they are a 200% utter complete waste of time imo, digital foundry is the only one doing proper comparisons

Last edited:
Associate
FSR4 with AI upscaling coming boys, let's go! Wonder if it's an rdna4 exclusive feature?

And potentially all it took to light a fire up AMD's ass was Microsoft announcing they are natively building a super resolution pipeline into DirectX and Windows 11, this pipeline enable XeSS, DLSS and FSR to all work with the same software API, use the same inputs and outputs and make it simple for the dev to enable - once the API is enabled in the game's code then the game automatically supports all three upscaling modes, so FSR is going to have to compete directly with XeSS and DLSS in many more games going forward
Microsoft's wrapper is actually a pretty important thing.
And it will prevent any shenanigans with any vendor trying to use a sponsorship deal to exclude one upscaler.
And it should also prevent lazy developers who might want to only support one (I mostly subscribe to the lazy developers / penny pinching publishers for a lot of the recent games which only support a subset of upscalers).
Can't see any real negatives aside from making Microsoft even more powerful.

CB had a new FG article today:

They seem to think that FSR's FG offers better performance but the words about latency continue to put me off any of these things: especially since they don't actually quantify the extra latency except to say that it ranges from almost unnoticeable to very noticeable.

Man of Honour
AMD are ditching the non hardware based upscaling route next gen in favour of AI hardware upscaling, and with that will probably be frame gen too. There's only so much you can do with just software alone and you will get left in the dust by the competition who use hardware based solutions.

And now that MS are adding DirectSR into the OS directly, the framework will work with all upscaling methods and likely frame gens too so there's no need to have purely software based routes like FSR currently is. Use AI hardware, tap into DirectSR as a global framework that works with all cards and only the most efficient hardware will get the better SR/FG results. So Nvidia will likely still be on top until Intel and AMD hardware reached an alignment with them.

Caporegime
AMD are ditching the non hardware based upscaling route next gen in favour of AI hardware upscaling, and with that will probably be frame gen too. There's only so much you can do with just software alone and you will get left in the dust by the competition who use hardware based solutions.

And now that MS are adding DirectSR into the OS directly, the framework will work with all upscaling methods and likely frame gens too so there's no need to have purely software based routes like FSR currently is. Use AI hardware, tap into DirectSR as a global framework that works with all cards and only the most efficient hardware will get the better SR/FG results. So Nvidia will likely still be on top until Intel and AMD hardware reached an alignment with them.

I would be interested to know what you think Intel and AMD need to add to their hardware to align SR quality with Nvidia?

Back
Top Bottom