• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Caporegime
Trouble with native is you need to use a form of AA that is actually good. That means it tanks your performance. If you use FXAA or TAA which is what comes in games these days that certainly does look worse than DLSS. For me anyway.

There are some games I found you can get away with no AA at 4K like Tomb Raider games. But then you got games like Prey where it is jaggies galore. Then you enable TAA and it looks like vasaline smeared all over the screen relatively speaking. For that game I actually make use of DLDSR which means no need for AA. It tanks the fps but as the game is old it is not an issue to still have high enough fps without using DLSS as the gane does not have it.

And the issue here is that all the supposedly good aa factors like msaa, smaa are in fact pretty awful looking as evidenced in multiple games by multiple sources unless you can tolerate the ant crawling effects, shimmering and flickering and this is even an issue at 4k (although less obvious than lower res.). Personally not for me as it is immersion breaking but each to their own.

Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Just tested Ratchet & Clank at 1080P Performance to see if I can see the flicker shown in the AMD comparison GIF's. I could only see shimmer in the distant crowds in the opening level. AMD has basically shown a zoomed in shot of the distant crowd and managed to get rid of the shimmer which bodes really well for FSR 3.1. At a normal viewing distance it will not be possible to see any shimmer at all if FSR3.1 meets expectations.

Temporal Stability

large
310x179

Ghosting Reduction

large
large

I know AMD made no mention of Machine Learning but how without it do you get from the left image to the right image?

Soldato
Just tested Ratchet & Clank at 1080P Performance to see if I can see the flicker shown in the AMD comparison GIF's. I could only see shimmer in the distant crowds in the opening level. AMD has basically shown a zoomed in shot of the distant crowd and managed to get rid of the shimmer which bodes really well for FSR 3.1. At a normal viewing distance it will not be possible to see any shimmer at all if FSR3.1 meets expectations.

Temporal Stability

large
310x179

Ghosting Reduction

large
large

Wait till they show us powerlines, FSR's main weakness

The blue reduction is impressive, but I'm not so sure about the shimmering as you found when you tested yourself. I'm more interested in seeing how it deals with shimmer and aliasing on powerlines because that's the worst case scenario for FSR

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wait until we see it in more games :p ;) Just look at previous FSR updates in the sponsored games and then when it hit the rest of the games where amd weren't involved heavily..... there has really been very little improvement from FSR 2 to 2.2 in terms of IQ improvements. I am hoping it's different this time round but given history, don't get your hopes up too much and take with a pinch of salt imo.

Caporegime
Sony.

Or just too many coincidences with all the leaks with the pro and now FSR3.1, launching on R&C-Sony game.

Or they've been working on it, the enhancements weren't ready for the fsr 3 release, but now they are. They had to put something out a few months back as they had remained silent about it for ages.

Last edited:
Soldato
This detail is quite cool

Decoupling FSR 3 upscaling from frame generation:
  • Allows FSR 3.1 frame generation technology to work with other upscaling solutions.

Soldato
From the GDC presentation (w/ Massive) it sounds to me like they're going to up the performance cost for FSR upscaling, ala XeSS DP4A. Perhaps they will autodetect the GPU and choose a new path based on that (sort of like how they do it already for Polaris, or consoles - all different paths), but that's just my speculation. Possibly only for Radeon GPUs.

As for improvements like in the Ratchet example, that's simple. You just have to take your time with implementing FSR properly which is something they didn't do. You can see similar problems with even straightforward TAA and you can test it out in Unreal, when certain elements aren't properly optimised for (and thus result in horrific ghosting). See vid below.

So when Massive says they chose FSR for both AA and upscaling because it's the best (vendor agnostic) solution it's true (and they already had great AA & upscaling, just see The Division 2). It's just that as with any tool it doesn't matter how good it is if you misuse it - hell we saw plenty of DLSS implementations as well which are horrific (Hitman 3 early, RDR 2, Dragon Dogma 2's just this week etc.). And if you watch the GDC presentation on integrating FSR 3 into the engine (nevermind the game) it should be clear that actually it takes a lot of work & care to do it properly, and unfortunately you can also hear at the end how crucial AMD engineers were to the project. So that means we shouldn't expect too much from games in general when they don't have all that access; but it also explains how DLSS has so many more successful implementations - Nvidia just has more engineers to spread around (or in any case, did; don't see as many deep collaborations anymore now that DLSS's ubiquitous). In the end you need knowledgeable game devs that give a flark & have the necessary time available for such optimisations, there's just no way around it.

Caporegime
From the GDC presentation (w/ Massive) it sounds to me like they're going to up the performance cost for FSR upscaling, ala XeSS DP4A. Perhaps they will autodetect the GPU and choose a new path based on that (sort of like how they do it already for Polaris, or consoles - all different paths), but that's just my speculation. Possibly only for Radeon GPUs.

As for improvements like in the Ratchet example, that's simple. You just have to take your time with implementing FSR properly which is something they didn't do. You can see similar problems with even straightforward TAA and you can test it out in Unreal, when certain elements aren't properly optimised for (and thus result in horrific ghosting). See vid below.

So when Massive says they chose FSR for both AA and upscaling because it's the best (vendor agnostic) solution it's true (and they already had great AA & upscaling, just see The Division 2). It's just that as with any tool it doesn't matter how good it is if you misuse it - hell we saw plenty of DLSS implementations as well which are horrific (Hitman 3 early, RDR 2, Dragon Dogma 2's just this week etc.). And if you watch the GDC presentation on integrating FSR 3 into the engine (nevermind the game) it should be clear that actually it takes a lot of work & care to do it properly, and unfortunately you can also hear at the end how crucial AMD engineers were to the project. So that means we shouldn't expect too much from games in general when they don't have all that access; but it also explains how DLSS has so many more successful implementations - Nvidia just has more engineers to spread around (or in any case, did; don't see as many deep collaborations anymore now that DLSS's ubiquitous). In the end you need knowledgeable game devs that give a flark & have the necessary time available for such optimisations, there's just no way around it.

Some points there are true but regarding dlss and getting good results, this has largely come from nvidia tuning it on their end and providing a t shirt size fit approach so devs don't have to spend ages getting good/acceptable results (of course the game also has to be done well regarding motion vectors and so on but as shown, even the games with the best TAA and so on, DLSS is still noticeably ahead of FSR e.g. avatar, horzon forbidden west), with amds solution, it is far more on the devs to really fine tune FSR, which is why it is so hit and miss, this is also backed up by the comments on their github page where they have basically said its up to the devs how fsr gets integrated (as there are a few methods iirc) as well as them to find what works best for their game. Over the fence approach never works well in development (no matter how well documented the process might be).

RDR 2 TAA and anti aliasing in general is just awful, the initial dlss version which was used was better than the games default TAA but did have issues, the 2.5.1 dlss version fixed/vastly improved upon the launch version.

Soldato
The LukeFZ FSR3 frame gen mod has a new development - "Uniscaler" - it's a lot easier to set up now, which was one of its biggest drawbacks. You now just place 4 files in the appropriate folder. Still seems way more contrived and over complicated compared to Nukem9's DLSS>FSR3 frame gen mod though if you have an Nvidia GPU, but if you're on AMD or want more flexibility with upscaling being involved or not, it looks interesting....

Soldato

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is a lot more to this than just dropping the .dll in to the install folder, that will give you the option to turn it on but doesn't actually do much.
Ok so developers fault? No.

You don't see this with Nvidia, ever, there are instances of varying quality but nothing where its just bad, why is that?
I think Nvidia care enough for something that carries their branding that it must be good, or else, AMD are more like "yeah man, its open source man, be free with it man, everything is beautiful man, have a spliff"

You make great hardware, AMD, great drivers, now ban the marijuana from the software features team and round out to just be great without if and but.
Its time you stopped thinking like an underdog, its time there was nothing anyone could point at and say "this is why you shouldn't buy AMD" No one does that with your CPU's, Because they are just great, no if, no but.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Asus Rog Ally native Fluid Motion Frames support added:

We’re excited to announce that AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) is going to be available on the ROG Ally! Tomorrow’s (April 25th) iGPU driver and ACSE update contain everything you need to use this new feature. Just open the AMD Software and head to Gaming > Graphics to toggle AMD Fluid Motion Frames on. AFMF is not yet available in the Command Center, but we are working on integrating it further.

Caporegime
Steve Burke, Gamers Nexus, ask Tom Petersen (Formerlnyy Nvidia, now Intel) something along the lines of "what do Intel offer consumers that the others don't?"

He looked Steve right in the eye and said, with confidence "quality, Intel offer a quality product" ok sure.... as if Nvidia don't, but he meant it, he believed it and he knows it matters, He got that from his time at Nvidia and its that pride and belief in what he does without compromise that probably prompted Intel to hire him, and they have a quality executive in him for the job.
I'd hire someone like that and count my lucky chickens i nabbed him.

Someone at RTG needs to step up and say "this is not good enough and i'm going to fix it all" support that person.

Caporegime
Green withdrawal:p

:cry:

No. :) honestly i love the GPU, i'm really impressed with it, same with the drivers. I have no regrets.

Its actually the reason for my currently overzealous constructive criticism of AMD, they make a damned good product, they are capable of competing, they are just not going all the way, they are not putting 100% in to it, if they did they would silence a lot of AMD's critics, i want them to do that.

Back
Top Bottom