• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
FSR 3.1

Introducing AMD FSR 3.1 with Improved Upscaling Quality

Announced today at our GDC 2024 “High Performance Rendering in Snowdrop Using AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3)” presentation, AMD FSR 3.1 will have some significant improvements, new capabilities, and updates:

• Upscaling image quality improvements:
    • Improved temporary stability at rest and in movement – less flickering and/or shimmering and “Fizziness” around objects in motion.
    • Ghosting reduction and better preservation of detail.
  • Decoupling FSR 3 upscaling from frame generation:
    • Allows FSR 3.1 frame generation technology to work with other upscaling solutions.
  • New AMD FidelityFX API:
    • Makes it easier for developers to debug and allows forward compatibility with updated versions of FSR.
  • Vulkan® and Xbox Game Development Kit (GDK) support.
AMD FSR 3.1 will be available for developers on GPUOpen in Q2 and will be coming to games later this year.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is TLOU limited to 80 FPS, I am playing on EndeavourOS Linux, so actual Vram / RAM usage may be lower.

7900 XT. 1440P FSR3 AA but no upscaling.

20240320215408-1.jpg

20240320215428-1.jpg
20240320215551-1.jpg
20240320215651-1.jpg

These look like a PS4 game :mad: :p

Caporegime
FSR 3.1

**** me about time they did something eh!!! Hopefully it at least matches XeSS now ;)

Getting constantly slated by big channels like HUB prob made them do something finally.

Last edited:
Soldato
  • Decoupling FSR 3 upscaling from frame generation:
    • Allows FSR 3.1 frame generation technology to work with other upscaling solutions.
This is the best thing. A shame that a 'lowly modder' (Nukem9) implemented this perfectly already, months ago with his frame gen mod! What do these people ******* do all day? They must feel embarrassed when modders do better work than they can.

Last edited:
Soldato
FSR 3.1

Upcoming game support.

FSR3_upcoming_support.png

What do these people ******* do all day? They must feel embarrassed when modders do better work than they can.
They create open source software solutions that run on everyone's hardware, they're apparently working on improving FSR* quality with reduced shimmering and ghosting, they're about to unlock and enable the use of DLSS on Nv, and your still giving them grief.:p

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They create open source software solutions that run on everyones hardware, they're about to enable the use of DLSS on Nv, and your still giving them grief.:p

Good grief Tommy, do you or a family member work at AMD? :p

Who cares if they get grief honestly? It's like as if they are your friend or something :cry:

I stopped giving a crap about AMD or any if these companies. I just look at the end product and it's price and get what I fancy. Simples.

Soldato
Good grief Tommy, do you or a family member work at AMD? :p

Who cares if they get grief honestly? It's like as if they are your friend or something :cry:

I stopped giving a crap about AMD or any if these companies. I just look at the end product and it's price and get what I fancy. Simples.
If you check my sig the 4070 is first, you want me to swap it round to confirm your opinion?:p

Despite not running AMD for over 10 years because they were crap...

A dog doesn't throw a bone back.

Why does it matter to you if I find it hilarious that Nv FSR3 users are complaining about AMD's FG?

Last edited:
Soldato
FSR 3.1

Very interesting, no mention of AI upscaling but I did notice this in the document

"We also recommend that Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS) is enabled in Windows® 11 under Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings when using AMD FSR 3.1. HAGS is enabled in Windows 11 2022 Update on AMD Radeon™ RX 7900/7800/7700 Series Graphics Cards when using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.12.1 or higher."

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Because it is, if Nv FSR3 users want the DLSS3 experience, buy it-like we did.;)

Zero point complaining about free Pepsi because you want Coke, purchase Coke, or live with the free Pepsi.

Prefer Coca Cola myself.:p

There is a point though. Like for me it is sad to see how far AMD have fallen behind. I used to love buying Radeon cards and preferred them. The current situation can be frustrating at times.

So yeah, at the very least it can be somewhat therapeutic :D

Caporegime
There is a point though. Like for me it is sad to see how far AMD have fallen behind. I used to love buying Radeon cards and preferred them. The current situation can be frustrating at times.

So yeah, at the very least it can be somewhat therapeutic :D

Yup great to see amd finally addressing its issues, maybe more amd users will now start to use FSR including nvidia users. I'll wait and see though as we have heard with each version how much better it would be and then come the time, it was no better..... And of course key point where amd tech lags massively, it needs to be "consistently" good and not just above average in 1-2 sponsored titles.... Not sure why certain users care though as they have said it themselves, they "rather not use upscaling and native is king".....

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
For me Native>DLSS>XeSS>FSR for IQ. Though when gaming I enable upscaling and an FPS cap to get the reduced heat and noise.

I find even FSR close enough to native that is is more than useable because each upscaling method in my experience has IQ compromises over native. It will be interesting to see what 3.1 brings to FSR.

I get that the AMD fake frames is free and open source, but that hardly means you don’t get to call it out for not being very good. Though I don’t like the Nvidia implementation either to be fair. Then again DLSS sucked when it was first released, so I expect fake frames to improve with each release. I may even stop calling it fake frames at some point :p

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For me Native>DLSS>XeSS>FSR for IQ. Though when gaming I enable upscaling and an FPS cap to get the reduced heat and noise.

I find even FSR close enough to native that is is more than useable because each upscaling method in my experience has IQ compromises over native. It will be interesting to see what 3.1 brings to FSR.

I get that the AMD fake frames is free and open source, but that hardly means you don’t get to call it out for not being very good. Though I don’t like the Nvidia implementation either to be fair. Then again DLSS sucked when it was first released, so I expect fake frames to improve with each release. I may even stop calling it fake frames at some point :p

Trouble with native is you need to use a form of AA that is actually good. That means it tanks your performance. If you use FXAA or TAA which is what comes in games these days that certainly does look worse than DLSS. For me anyway.

There are some games I found you can get away with no AA at 4K like Tomb Raider games. But then you got games like Prey where it is jaggies galore. Then you enable TAA and it looks like vasaline smeared all over the screen relatively speaking. For that game I actually make use of DLDSR which means no need for AA. It tanks the fps but as the game is old it is not an issue to still have high enough fps without using DLSS as the gane does not have it.

Last edited:
Associate
Many games have additional internal resolution sliders that will add up to 100% more resolution.

You can use FSR with VSR and get a cleaner image than native 4K also.

I don't use windows so can't do VSR.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trouble with native is you need to use a form of AA that is actually good. That means it tanks your performance. If you use FXAA or TAA which is what comes in games these days that certainly does look worse than DLSS. For me anyway.

There are some games I found you can get away with no AA at 4K like Tomb Raider games. But then you got games like Prey where it is jaggies galore. Then you enable TAA and it looks like vasaline smeared all over the screen relatively speaking. For that game I actually make use of DLDSR which means no need for AA. It tanks the fps but as the game is old it is not an issue to still have high enough fps without using DLSS as the gane does not have it.

Agreed. It’s why some people fall for the DLSS better than native. It’s because native is using absolutely terrible AA routines that destroy and blur details.

The older and more costly AA routines were much better IQ but hit FPS hard. Not RT levels of hit, but enough to drive the need for GPU upgrades.

Like I said upscaling (including the much maligned FSR) do improve over native, but only because native sucks with the likes of TAA.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Just tested Ratchet & Clank at 1080P Performance to see if I can see the flicker shown in the AMD comparison GIF's. I could only see shimmer in the distant crowds in the opening level. AMD has basically shown a zoomed in shot of the distant crowd and managed to get rid of the shimmer which bodes really well for FSR 3.1. At a normal viewing distance it will not be possible to see any shimmer at all if FSR3.1 meets expectations.

Temporal Stability

large
310x179

Ghosting Reduction

large
large

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom