• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Caporegime
Gonna be quite tough it seems.

It's not really surprising tbh. People go on about nvidia being greedy and not giving their aibs much of a cut but difference is, nvidia gpus sell by the bucket load compared to amd so even if amd were giving aib partners more profit than nvidia, chances are, they aren't selling as many thus aren't getting as much profit perhaps but it is all guesswork until there is some written proof on what amd and nvidia profit margins are and what aib cut is etc.

Associate
It was not malicious as you imply. The open source nature of FSR made it possible for devs to simply integrate the code directly into their game code and customize it how they want. Some devs did make external dll's but most just copied and pasted the code and never really contributed to further development of FSR2. AMD realized a bit too late that lazy devs were not inclined to update FSR once they had integrated it into game code hence why FSR3.1's SDK will enforce a DLL by default.

If devs want to integrate the source code then they will have to do put in extra work to make it work.
I reckon mods will allow you to use it in old games quite easily just like how people are adding FSR3 frame gen to any game with DLSS.
This should have been obvious to AMD given how Nvidia had made it so easy to switch dlls on purpose. RDR2 got an update for FSR 2.2 a month ago so it took Rockstar over a year to update FSR 2.2 and that still has tons of fizzle on vegetation which FSR 3.1 will resolve but we won't get access to that in the game.

Also they should allow users to customise the render scale like DLSS.

I don't even mind AMD taking a pause on hardware and sorting their software out. It's their biggest crutch at the moment.

Associate
It's not really surprising tbh. People go on about nvidia being greedy and not giving their aibs much of a cut but difference is, nvidia gpus sell by the bucket load compared to amd so even if amd were giving aib partners more profit than nvidia, chances are, they aren't selling as many thus aren't getting as much profit perhaps but it is all guesswork until there is some written proof on what amd and nvidia profit margins are and what aib cut is etc.
Contrary to popular belief, AMD's high end 7900XTX actually outsold the rest of the mid range and budget RDNA 3 lineup as per the Steam survey. That's because most consumers buying mid and budget are misinformed and perceive Nvidia as the premium brand due to the mindshare of the 4090. While those going for 7900XTX are enthusiasts who know what they want. It's likely when MSI got to know that AMD is bowing out of the high end with RDNA 4, rhey decided that dealing with the high volume low margin mid range parts isn't worth it.

To me this is just further evidence that AMD high end isn't coming any time soon.

Last edited:
Caporegime
To me this is just further evidence that AMD high end isn't coming any time soon.
I'm personally expecting an RDNA 3.5 card to replace the XTX to drop with increased clocks to launch alongside RDNA4 'mid-range' (just to keep the gap not so distant) but nothing solid about it has leaked so far.

Soldato
Contrary to popular belief, AMD's high end 7900XTX actually outsold the rest of the mid range and budget RDNA 3 lineup as per the Steam survey. That's because most consumers buying mid and budget are misinformed and perceive Nvidia as the premium brand due to the mindshare of the 4090. While those going for 7900XTX are enthusiasts who know what they want. It's likely when MSI got to know that AMD is bowing out of the high end with RDNA 4, rhey decided that dealing with the high volume low margin mid range parts isn't worth it.

If AMD's next cards are going to be mid range then they need to be at least 7900XTX level but at around £700 max. Coupled with better RT performance, I reckon a lot of people would go for that rather than spend over £1200 on the 5080 or whatever.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gonna be quite tough it seems.

The click bait title of that webpage, MSI chose not to make AMD GPU's anymore, so what? MSI decided to go with Intel for its first handheld where everyone else has gone AMD. And its a pile of crap that no one wants.

AMD's discrete GPU marketshare grew from 17% in Q3 2023 to 19% in Q4 2023, since then sales of the RX 7800 XT and RX 7900 GRE have also been better for AMD than they have in a long time.

I think the problem here is MSI's decision making, you don't burn your bridges because you think you're better off not associating with one particular vendor. AMD are not in trouble because some idiot chose to move out...

Last edited:
Associate

If high end means 1500 quid plus cards I'm not sure very many people are arsed. They will he brand snobs anyway just like iphone users and prefer nvidia regardless because huang said "nvidia are better".

But it might mean some people who beleive the first thing thry read think nvidia is better because they have the best card - xx90 whatever gen. And decide to go nvidia because that makes them all better. Akin to those who buy the aston martin hatchback.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why gives a _____ about MSI GPU's? from both camps? who thinks "it must be an MSI GPU" Asus have loyal fans, on the AMD side a lot of people think Sapphire are the go to.

MSI? No one cares...

Only gpu that ever had any hype from them was the lightning, besides that there were pretty average. Sapphire, powecolor, and asus seemed much more popular for the amd side.

xfx and evga left nvidia, yet that somehow wasn't the start of the sounds of doom thundering in the distance, msi leaves amd and its comical how the naysayers putting a slanted spin on this come out of the woodwork. People just love to twist things, pretty sad.

With MSi gone that "only" leaves Built by AMD, Sapphire, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, XFX and Powercolor. Yeah, that has really thinned the herd out...said nobody ever.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And MSI were currently the worst of the lot arguably.

Only msi amd gpu i ever owned was a used 6990, besides that mostly been xfx, sapphire and powercolor. They're not really a brand i associate with amd gpu's for some reason, they were out there for years but other oems put more into their cards, whereas they seemed to do the bare minimum.

Associate
Screenshot-2024-05-01-at-2.02.45-AM-1456x825.png

Radeon sales are poor.

Last edited:
Associate
Screenshot-2024-05-01-at-2.02.45-AM-1456x825.png

Radeon sales are poor.
Not unexpected, mediocre increase in performance between last gen and Nvidia brought out the super range along with price cuts.

their naming scheme all wrong from the outset, and put cards in the wrong categories, they should all have been moved down a tier along with their respective prices.

Their has been little to make people upgrade.

The gaming industry is also seeing a downward trend also,

Caporegime
Only gpu that ever had any hype from them was the lightning, besides that there were pretty average. Sapphire, powecolor, and asus seemed much more popular for the amd side.

xfx and evga left nvidia, yet that somehow wasn't the start of the sounds of doom thundering in the distance, msi leaves amd and its comical how the naysayers putting a slanted spin on this come out of the woodwork. People just love to twist things, pretty sad.

With MSi gone that "only" leaves Built by AMD, Sapphire, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, XFX and Powercolor. Yeah, that has really thinned the herd out...said nobody ever.

Its probably the case that AMD blew them out, i don't want to say that there is anything wrong with Intel's APU's, right, but AMD's are a much better fit for handheld gaming devices, there is a reason rather boringly every goes AMD.
The only reason MSI would go Intel is if they are stupid or Intel paid them off, AMD don't have the right to dominate that segment but AMD are very sensitive to Intel paying people off, it could just as easily be a case of AMD being: naw man, _____ that _____, good bye...

And MSI were currently the worst of the lot arguably.

My 2070S was an MSI Gaming X, i have no complaints about it, it was a good card.
But i'll tell you what, when i pulled the Pulse out from its plain brown inner box i got that sinking feeling, it was about half the size of the MSI card, tiny, right, i put the thing in and started stress testing it, Unigine Superposition, it was completely silent, are the fans even running? yes at about 18% with temps in the low 60's.
This card despite being half the size and half the weight of the MSI card was quieter, the MSI card i always thought was quiet, it was, but this thing out of the box is near inaudible, even if i pump 300 watts in to it its still no louder than the MSI card was, i run it 24/7 at about 280 watts.
Again i don't think this makes the MSI card bad, its just the difference between a mediocre cooler design and a really good one.
I took the thing out again and had a proper look at it, its really nicely put together, good quality materials, better than the MSI card, it would make a good mini ITX card given its so small and capable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom