Antec P180 Owners Thread

Soldato
Hmmm... I think it'd be a VERY tight fit, it'd certainly reach with nothing else installed on the mobo, but i could see that once you put any expansion cards in you'd have troubles. I'd definately recommend you get an ATX extension cable kit just in case. The one I got included cables for both the 24pin and 4pin ones, although I didn't actually need them in the end.

The cable itself is only about £3, but you'd end up paying nearer to £10 including postage.

Google for "Silverstone SST-PP01 ATX PSU Cable Extension"

Associate
I got my new Seasonic PSU through last night and fitted it without any problems. Also swapped my Aero 7 Lite for an Arctic Silent Cooler. Can’t hear the PSU, almost totally silent, just want to try and narrow down where the other noise is coming from, the top fan is definitely a bit noisy and that vent lets noise out so I may see what effect closing it has on noise/temps etc.

npc

npc

Associate
An extension for the 4 pin 12v can be had from a major high street retailer that this site childishly won't allow me to name or put a link to for just over £5 including P&P with next day delivery
Google "12v 4-pin ATX extension"

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the replys re ASUS motherboard.

My parts from OCUK have just arrived so will be able to confirm later although it does not look as though it will fit to me !!

Can anyone one tell me which way round the freezer 64 cooler should be fitted on the mobo. I cannot work out if the fan sucks the air out through the fins or blows air through the fins. I was thinking idf it sucks the air through then the fan should be nearest the top fan on this case ?

Anyone used this in the P180 ?

Thanks

Associate
I'll be honest, I haven't got one, but I'd be surprised (from looking at it) if it sucks air through the fins. A blower I would have thought, but I'm sure there'll be someone who actually can say!

EDIT: Sorry, bit of a useless reply there!

npc

npc

Associate
The Freezer 64 fan's a blower, you can have it pointing upwards (so you can read the writing) or facing towards the case rear exhaust (fan nearest front of case, fins at rear)

Soldato
Anyone know if the 12v cable on an Enermax 600w sli psu will reach the 12v connector on the top of an asus a8n preium mobo in this case. According to the reviews I have read the enermax cable is 21" long, and the latest enermax's even have a little adaptor for the 12v (8pin to 4pin) which adds a few inches.

Associate
Finished the final install, and got WinXp+Sp1 installed. The SATA2 ports will NOT take an install on Raid0 with WinXp+Sp2, you would need to install WinXp+Sp1 then install Sp2 on top. Great case, I replaced the fans with panaflo's. Gonna replace the stock HSF with a Freezer to lower the noise. Cheers for help and advice, you folks dont know how much it is needed at times!! :eek:

Associate
Just got my P180, at first impressions I was impressed.. to an extent I still am.

But.. (there had to be one!)

I have had a few problems, the worse being.. after putting the side panel back on, it got totally stuck.. I just couldn't get it off without forcing it. This has had the result of snapping some of the hooks that hold the side panel in place. :(

One of the feet has fallen off already.

All the cables reach fine from an Enermax 535W SLI PSU and an Abit AN8 SLI mobo, however due to the routing of the power cables, and the rest of the connectivity of the board, it looks a complete mess around the bottom of the mobo compartment, and I spent hours trying to sort it out.

The DVD Rom rattles on its rails.. I simply can't understand why after spending all the time deadening the noise of the HDD's by using gel grommets they use a system of hard plastic rails which are quite loose in their slots to mount the CD/DVD's

Other than that the case is great :rolleyes:
It is as near silent as you can hope for considering what is inside the case.

Associate
Swampster said:
The DVD Rom rattles on its rails.. I simply can't understand why after spending all the time deadening the noise of the HDD's by using gel grommets they use a system of hard plastic rails which are quite loose in their slots to mount the CD/DVD's

mine arnt lose perfect fit, apart from i have a cpu fan controler in the 3.5 bay and its 2 short so i can only have 1 screw in each side. also i have the front X pannel from my dfi sli-dr that is also to short and can only have 1 screw in each side. but my dvd drives are fine

Associate
Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the info re Freezer 64 and Hiper 580W.

I can now confirm that the four pin ATX lead is NOT long enough on the Hiper modular 580W PSU. I have managed to connect it up to test by tilting the PSU upwards at the moment but will have to get one of the extension leadsI guess.

Not really On Topic for the case thread but I am trying to install windows XP 64 without success. I have two Samsungs 250GB Spinpoints SATA 2 in Raid 1 (Mirror), mobo is the A8N-Sli Premium from ASUS.

I tried setting the whole 250GB as a single partition but installion of Windows gets to about 12% and then just hangs. I tried to install to just a 2GB partition and it seemed to take it OK. Is there a maximum limit that the partition can be ? (my old system had 40GB drives and I never had this problem). Or should I be creating smaller partitions anyway ?.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this but if so could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Flanno said:
Anyone know if the 12v cable on an Enermax 600w sli psu will reach the 12v connector on the top of an asus a8n preium mobo in this case. According to the reviews I have read the enermax cable is 21" long, and the latest enermax's even have a little adaptor for the 12v (8pin to 4pin) which adds a few inches.

It should do, because the 600W is pretty much the same as my 485W (except for 2x PCI-E leads) and the 12V fits on my A8N premium. However I am using an extender to make the cabling neater. The line will probably route over the top of your PCI and PCI-E slots otherwise, which could be a pain for upgrading stuff.

Associate
Livestrong said:
just got my case on checking the item the door does not fit flush on the right side on the case front.

Is it just mine or is anyone else's the same?

Yep mine is exactly the same.. well it kinda bows in the middle, and doesnt fit snugly to the case round the power switch area. In fact if I try to lock the case with the key and dont press the door in firmly, it just pops open when I turn the key.

On another note.. the side panel got stuck again on mine, ending up with the top retaining hooks on the panel being broken off when trying to remove it.

The more I look at this case the less impressed I am with it.

I'd consider RMA'ing it with all the things wrong, but do I really want to strip out my PC, have to wait umpteen days, and then go through the torturous process of trying to sort out all the cabling again when the new one arrives!

Associate
lowrider007 said:
ahhhhhhhhhh,, Finally after 2 system re-builds, 1 reformat, and a hell of allot of stress I have sovled my flashing hardrive led problem, (I even dragged my old wavemaster over to my p180 and bridged the wavemasters led across), anyhow, the problem was my aopen cdrw, as soon as I unplugged the drive my hd led on my p180 case stopped flashing, god knows how this was making my my hd led flash i'll never know, so just in case anybody else ever has the same problem it could be one of your optical drives, thanks for advice tho.

It's because it's not an HD LED, it's an IDE access LED. So anything that was being accessed through the IDE (including the cdrw drive) would cause the LED to flash.

The real question is, why was your cdrw being accessed every second? :)

Back
Top Bottom