Antec P180 Owners Thread

Soldato
with all the points about the side panel. I've had mine on and off loads today as been swapping hard disks like crazy with my other systems to copy data. I've found if you lift the left side of the case off the ground slightly (tilt the case a little to the right) that the side goes on a lot easier.

The best way to do it is to actually lay the case on its right side, but obviously that's not always convenient!

Associate
PeterNem said:
The best way to do it is to actually lay the case on its right side, but obviously that's not always convenient!

Mine was on its side (both times), and I still couldnt get the thing off.. without breaking it that is :(

I logged a fault with Antec, see if there's any chance of a replacement panel.. will have to wait and see.

Soldato
Strange. I find mine goes onto the case quite easy, and that I just have to put a little pressure (litterally just touching it) at the top and bottom in the middle to be sure the plastic clips are pushed all the way in before I slide it forward.

Anyway, here's a pic of my internals. Not perfect by a long way, but having a modular PSU is definately a step in the right direction.

internal1.jpg

I have an S-ATA drive and a P-ATA drive in the middle drive cage, and two P-ATA drives in the bottom drive cage. Not having the fan in the bottom helps here with cabling, and with the PSU having two fans I don't need it so have put the large fan on the top left, then the slimmer fan from the top left is not in front of the middle drive cage.

Associate
Glad i found this thread ! Was just about to order the P180, Asus A8N-SLi and Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W PSU. Sounds like i'll have problems. Can anyone recommend what changes I need to make (different PSU, different m/b etc) to make it fit ?

Cheers.

Soldato
Do you definately need the SLi functionallity? If not, get the same motherboard as me (Epox 9npa+) and you'll have exactly what I'll have in the pic above and the cables will reach fine.

If you need Sli consider :

Epox EP-9NPA+ SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-EP)

Power socket placement looks very similar, so again, this should be fine.
Price: £84.95 (£99.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Associate
OP
My ticking fan has now been replaced. I must say I am VERY IMPRESSED with the Antec support. The webnotes system was very easy to use and the people on the other end were very helpful. The new fan has arrived within 2 weeks and was shipped from the US! And of course it works fine. I think the mark of a really good company is how well they deal with situations were the customer has had trouble with a product.

Associate
Associate
PeterNem said:
Do you definately need the SLi functionallity? If not, get the same motherboard as me (Epox 9npa+) and you'll have exactly what I'll have in the pic above and the cables will reach fine.

If you need Sli consider :

Epox EP-9NPA+ SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-EP)

Power socket placement looks very similar, so again, this should be fine.
Price: £84.95 (£99.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)

I don't really need the SLi functionality, no. Unfortunately I can't order any of the Epox boards because they are all marked as "out". I called up OCUK and they said that they are not going to get any more in stock, they're going to stop selling them. Back to the drawing board i guess.....

Associate
Got a P180 today. I must say I am a little dissappointed. Cabling routing is a nightmare! I have an epox 9nda3+, which has the power connector between the cpu and the rear io panel. My psu has a nice long power lead (its an antec trupower 430w) which reaches, but has to go over the gfx card to get there. This essentially makes it impossible to use the side funnel as the power cable gets its the way. :(

Then theres the psu area. If I keep the fan in the psu tunnel, I have to make sure that all the power cables are out of the way, which essentially means pulling the cable out pretty tightly through the dividing panel. Even when pushed right across, it does not "grip" the cord so there is a chance it could drop back in slightly and the excess get into the psu tunnel fan?

Took the fan out - but then my HDD's get hot, even when using a twin fan psu. :( Defeats the object really.

Then theres the hdd data cabling. I'm using sata leads - but even then its very tricky to fit these to the hdd, push the tray in and ensure they don't go anywhere near the fan :( Same with the power connectors. Same thing. Guess you need to either get 90 degree connectors, or bend you cables. I had a couple of cables get pulled out when I removed the hdd cage - not good.

There doesn't seem to be any convenient locations to route the power cables to the required devices/components either - they are just hanging there. All the molex leads for the fans doesn't help either. And the speed adjuster thingies - why are they only on a 2-3inch bit of wire? The top one had a tendancy to try getting into the cpu fan (using a arctic cooler 64, which fan facing down as its the only way it would fit on this board). Its all a bit unsightly really.

I'm going to spend some time trying to tidy everything up, but first impressions haven't been good.

Also thought this case was designed as it was for optimum cooling - yet my mb/case temp being reporting by mbm is no lower than when I used my antec sonata...? (33c by the way) Even tried the upper fans on "m" setting, and its made no difference (just more noise!?).

Is it just me (or this motherboard) that doesn't seem to be having much luck with this case?

Soldato
Take your time, figure out how you're going to route things before you finally screw everything down. Consider removing the fan from the lower chamber if you're going to have hard disks down there, it'll make getting power to the HDDs much easier, and unless you have a fanless PSU you shouldnt need it.

Soldato
dayloon said:
I don't really need the SLi functionality, no. Unfortunately I can't order any of the Epox boards because they are all marked as "out". I called up OCUK and they said that they are not going to get any more in stock, they're going to stop selling them. Back to the drawing board i guess.....

There are alternatives to OcUK, although I won't name them (place I got mine from still has the EP-9NPA+ in stock). With the motherbaord only being £70, if you have to pay an extra £7 or 8 postage to place an additional order elsewhere surely it shouldn't be an issue?

Soldato
the screws should have come with the case, they are quite long as they need to go through the rubber/gel washers which help to absorb some of the vibration and thus noise a drive creates.

casescrews.jpg

3.5" drives mounted in the bottom chamber screw into the sides, 3.5" drives in the middle chamber go into the rail/mount plate and screw in from the bottom.

Soldato
trying to think whether to get this but not sure if I like the look of it and the big door think best see it in person first before i order

Soldato
Have half completed the build, it's been realy nice and easy so far. Only problem is the cabling from the PSU is all over the shop, looks really messy. anyway I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Associate
Well Antec's European RMA Centre have said I need to RMA the broken side panel back to OcUK, or if I am confident the entire case is duff.. then RMA the whole case.

Now somehow I doubt OcUK keeps a stock of side panels for RMA purposes? Or will they request a new one from Antec?

If I have to RMA the entire case that's gonna leave me with a pc in bits on the floor for several days days I imagine! :(

Thoroughly not impressed! They did say if I wanted a side panel I could buy one from them! Great :(

Soldato
thats terribly unlucky mate, I'm sorry to hear it. I havent had any problems at all with thecase and find the panels come of no hassle, as long as you take your time with them and try not to force it.

I hope you get this resolved asap.

Back
Top Bottom