Apple vs Samsung, court orders Samsung to show Apple 5 new phones

Man of Honour
OP
Another interesting turn of events in this case as Samsung has countered by referencing an American law where if an idea existed before a patent for that idea was filed then the patent becomes void.

What did Samsung cite in this update?

2001: A Space Odyssey!!

http://gizmodo.com/5833586/samsung-...t-apple-in-greatest-legal-defense-of-all-time

If the court understands this fully then I think it will turn in Samsung's favour and Apple will be in some bother.

Man of Honour
OP
I think they did it because

1: 2001 is the earliest instance that we can see the 'idea' of a portable tablet PC has been shown.
2: Fight fire with fire. If Apple can claim Samsung is copying their ridiculously vague and open to interpretation design then Samsung may as well show that such a design (or the idea) existed 50 years ago.

Man of Honour
OP
Either way this is all interesting stuff. I assume Apple won't release an iPhone 5 now until next year and by that time the 4S will be at least 2 generations behind hardware wise compared to any other smartphone outfit.

On another blog someone made comment that the whole reason Apple were suing Samsung (as an example) is likely because Apple were no longer setting the bar in this market like they once were, the competition is fierce regardless of how many phones are actually being sold. The fact that debate online is blowing up between either side is evidence enough to how important the next few months are going to be.

Apple sue Samsung and file to ban their devices from being sold while Samsung counter with the same motion - It just seems like they (both sides) think having the competition banned is the only way their own devices can shine, like as if they don't believe that their devices are unique enough to co-exist and stand out for themselves.

I have had a massive pack of marshmallows so excuse the rambling :p

Man of Honour
OP
Well ICS does pave the way for that, a standardised Android version that works on all Android devices be they tablets or phones or phonelets!

The Market is improving every other month with new awesome games, new apps and each time they look better and more pro as better devs join the force.

Back
Top Bottom