Apple vs Samsung, court orders Samsung to show Apple 5 new phones

Caporegime
Missing the point here? Ironic because Apple practice the same thing? Not surprising the US president looks out for US interests. Hasn't a similar thing happened in SE Asia/South Korea?

Associate
Isn't the patent in question FRAND? Hence not quite the same as Apples patent attacks on others. I imagine they will eventually just force Apple to cough up for the licence plus some compensation for not coughing up earlier.

Soldato
The idea that you can't get injunctions for FRAND stuff is ludicrous though? It's not like Samsung immediately went to the ITC, they asked Apple for royalties, Apple said no, they didn't negotiate a rate or anything, they just said no.

If you follow the idea, promoted by Apple, that FRAND Patents, or generally SEP's can't be used to gain an injunction then you end up with a completely broken 2-sided patent system.

On one side you'd have Apple, who patent something that is either obvious (rounded corners) or not even theirs (pinch to zoom), and can both get injunctions and hundreds of millions of dollars of 'royalties'.

Then you have the likes of Samsung, Motorola, et al. Who participate in standards actually creating something novel, distinct and useful, who get to sit just idly by whilst Apple uses their inventions, pays nothing and just laughs at any attempts to get royalties out of them.

Soldato
Obama overturns Apple import ban

:rolleyes:

Would he have done this if it was Samung? I very much doubt it so where does this leave the validity of patents and fair trade? Just protecting their own interests like usual the self obsessed *****.

He would have, because Samsung's demands were unreasonable.
If you do some research, Samsung offered their SEP's to Apple at the same price as everyone else, but with a cravat - Apple must license a large number of their non SEP's (ie: the patents that have been giving Google and Samsung a massive headache in the courts) for free of charge in return.

This goes against the purpose of SEP in the first place, its just Samsung trolling as per usual yet somehow only one member of the ITC realised and objected, but since the ITC works on a majority decision it needed the presidents intervention.

Associate
The idea that you can't get injunctions for FRAND stuff is ludicrous though? It's not like Samsung immediately went to the ITC, they asked Apple for royalties, Apple said no, they didn't negotiate a rate or anything, they just said no.

If you follow the idea, promoted by Apple, that FRAND Patents, or generally SEP's can't be used to gain an injunction then you end up with a completely broken 2-sided patent system.

On one side you'd have Apple, who patent something that is either obvious (rounded corners) or not even theirs (pinch to zoom), and can both get injunctions and hundreds of millions of dollars of 'royalties'.

Personally I think even FRAND patents are a joke, people shouldn't be allowed to patent a basic functionality like that :p

They even said in that press release that it's not that they aren't due compensation, but rather outright banning devices is not the right way of delivering that compensation. Like I said they should make them pay for a licence backdated plus some compensation to Samsung for not purchasing a licence when they should have.

Then you have the likes of Samsung, Motorola, et al. Who participate in standards actually creating something novel, distinct and useful, who get to sit just idly by whilst Apple uses their inventions, pays nothing and just laughs at any attempts to get royalties out of them.

That just screams of bias, Apple do create stuff that's novel, distinct and useful but nor are they the only company to do so :p. It's also not Apples fault that there is flaws in the US patent system, which every company exploits to it's maximum potential.

Soldato
Personally I think even FRAND patents are a joke, people shouldn't be allowed to patent a basic functionality like that :p

They even said in that press release that it's not that they aren't due compensation, but rather outright banning devices is not the right way of delivering that compensation. Like I said they should make them pay for a licence backdated plus some compensation to Samsung for not purchasing a licence when they should have.

Apple patented tap to dial functionality for embedded phone numbers in messages. For that they can swivel in my opinion.

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25842637

"A US judge has ruled that Samsung infringed Apple's patent-protected word recommendation technology.

The invention describes a way for touchscreen devices to suggest completed words after a user has part-typed them to speed up text input.

Experts say the ruling could have implications for other Android devices that offer the facility."

sigh....

Soldato
Don't know how Apple could even get a patent for what is just predictive text on a touch screen. Surely it shouldn't have been granted on the ground of prior art and obviousness.

The US Patent Office isn't even trying any more. They just let any big company patent anything, and wait for the courts and lawyers to sort it out a few years down the line - pretty much exactly the opposite of what the patent system was invented for.

Caporegime
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25842637

"A US judge has ruled that Samsung infringed Apple's patent-protected word recommendation technology.

The invention describes a way for touchscreen devices to suggest completed words after a user has part-typed them to speed up text input.

Experts say the ruling could have implications for other Android devices that offer the facility."

sigh....

Didn't know apple invented predictive text........

How I hate Apple.

Soldato
Didn't know apple invented predictive text........

How I hate Apple.

As do I, I have not bought any of their products and refuse to do so.

The trouble is, I'm a big fan of Windows Phone, and Microsoft have become increasingly litigious recently.... Apple is the worst by far, but they are not the only villain.

Soldato
As do I, I have not bought any of their products and refuse to do so.

The trouble is, I'm a big fan of Windows Phone, and Microsoft have become increasingly litigious recently.... Apple is the worst by far, but they are not the only villain.

The problem is that the court and patent system has become a tool for big corporations to attack each other. Even if it only ties a company up in court for a six months, that can be enough to kill off a generation of product.

It's exactly what the patent system was set up to stop, but instead big corporations have co-opted it as another competitive front against other companies.

Soldato
Not gonna be much of a surprise though is it?

My prediction: Samsung fail to win a single claim, Apple win all their claims, some insane 'damages', nobody pays a dime as the case rolls on and on and on, except to the Lawyers, of course :p

Back
Top Bottom