Are you passionate over a particular driver and/or team?

Soldato
I like Guenther Steiner because he reminds me of Dick Dastardly

hQjB5vK.jpg

Soldato
I remember jumping out of my seat when Hamilton overtook Glock in Brazil, but more lately he's turned into a bit of the usual hypocritical idiot, so not really a fan of him anymore.

Jenson doing well at Brawn was another good moment too.

Associate
Both Jenson and Lewis in the McLaren MP4-26 was great. Two British world champions in the same British team. Was that the year McLaren did that weird Toons thing?
Haha yes probably was, that was terrible, if anything could have made me a Vettel fan (at that time ), that was definitely it.

Last edited:
Associate
When I started watching in 95 it was all about Damon Hill until he retired, after then I didn't really follow a driver/team until Lewis came onto the screen in 07.

I was a Lewis fan until I personally thought he changed at Mercedes, became more about his brand, taking selfies with Justin Bieber after winning at Monaco for Instagram instead of thanking his team. That sort of stuff. He's mellowed out now, but for who I follow now it's probably Lando and urging him to get a first win. Other than that I just watch every weekend as I'm a fan and addicted, despite it being hilariously predictable.

Associate
Jean Alesi - Canada 1995 was like England winning the World Cup to me! Gutted when he switched from Ferrari to Benetton in 1996. Nannini was another (loved the Benetton) and really sad what happened.

Mansell! Just a bruiser and deservedly would've been a multiple WDC (so unlucky in '86 and '87). Nige was never intimidated against the likes of Senna and often rattled. A period of legends. I very much doubt Monaco '92 will ever happen again, I just think drivers nowadays would send it and crash. A masterclass of fair racing by both Mansell and Senna.

Senna, Prost, I liked both.

Schumacher, I rooted for in 1992-94. The cheating in '94 (and later) cooled the enthusiasm but seeing what he did with Ferrari, I couldn't help but admire and become a fan. The battles with Montoya seemed like they genuinely disliked one another (not sure if this was the case).

Hill, I really admire how he lifted Williams, and he should have been a two-time WDC.

Nowadays Hamilton.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Watched F1 in the mid/late 90s. Didn't care for a specific team but driver wise I guess I liked Damon Hill and Schumacher. Started to follow Renault in 2002/3 (when I worked for them) and consequently Alonso. Then just kept following Alonso pretty much, but stopped following a team. Was thinking of following one of the younger bunch or a brit a few years back when he retired. Before I could settle on someone he came back :D

rp2000

Associate
My favourite drivers are Chris Amon, Jim Clark and Gilles Villeneuve.

My favourite team is McLaren (1965 to 1980), not so much since then.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I tune in the for the racing. I was always a Button fan, just loved how he represented himself (eventually) and how he still does as far as a public figure goes. Plus he treated us to the Brawn year and Canada 2011. His retirement race was a laugh too. Some good banter and energy.

I feel the same way about Lando now, but ultimately I don't have favourites. The grid is more indoctrinated into the sport vs the loud characters of yester year when the sport was at peak risk even though it was still pompous. I think it's got a bit too modern, I'm a 38 year old man who grew up the big names of yssteryear. I don't feel like they exist as much now. The drivers are more of a commercial brand than true individuals.

Associate
I miss the days of Murray Walker commentating. His enthusiasm was so engaging on the BBC. For the benefit of whippersnappers we are talking 80's here :).

Nowadays I don't watch much F1. Mainly because SKY has taken F1 away from me. I refuse to pay the ridiculous fees they ask.

But yes, Mansell, Button, Prost, Schumacker, Senna, Hunt. Themz woz the dayz :)

Last edited:
Commissario
Drivers I’ve liked and supported, in no particular order. The teams aren’t important, even if they’ve driven for a poor team, I’ve been keen to keep an eye on their progress and always hoped they’d do well.

Damon
Nigel
Rubens
Lewis
Alex
Eddie
Seb
Johnny
Kimi
James
Martin
DC (sorry, I think he’s a bit of a bell now)
Jenson
Hairy Heinz

There are probably others but these are the names that come to mind quickly. I’m not passionate about any of them, I just enjoy watching the racing.

As for Teams, again I’m not passionate about any but there are some that I’ve always hoped would do well. Jaguar was one, Aston Martin now. Brawn were great and do have a lot of admiration for what they achieved. I’ve always had a soft spot for Williams and would love to see them get their form back. All the others, no, I’m not fussed.

Associate
DC (sorry, I think he’s a bit of a bell now)
He was a little before my time as an F1 fan. He does come across a bit odd on the C4 coverage.

A couple of years back there was a podcast, On the Marbles, where the C4 group would just chat F1, and I really liked him on that, he seemed like a pretty down to earth guy with a good outlook on life. It's a shame they stopped it.

Associate
Been a McLaren fan ever since I started following F1 in 97 and the modern McLaren versus Ferrari era began with Mika versus Michael.

Driver-wise I was a fan of Jenson throughout his whole career, and I have always been a fan of Lewis's driving from the moment I saw his GP2 season, even if his personality is somewhat odd!
Others I have 'appreciated' in terms of their abilities without necessarily being a fan - Schumacher, Alonso, Montoya, Vettel, and (grudgingly!) Max...

Soldato
Never really been a team follower, more just supporting the British drivers. I did do regular work at Renault F1 for a while which had me supporting them a bit (you had to clamber over bits of bodywork in the carbon workshop to get into the server room :))

But to be honest, I lose interest unless there's a Brit driver to support. The racing itself is absolutely dire and has been for most of the last decade. Prefer watching Formula E or any other formula for actual motor racing.

Associate
I cheer on the brits, I also cheer on anyone who looks like beating Max or Perez, I don't like either driver and don‘t get me started on Horner. We have/had a Mercedes pit crew mechanic live opposite us so I kind of followed Mercedes, also living just minutes down the road from Petronas AMG Mercedes in Brixworth

Last edited:
Associate
That’s cool. Do you chat to him much? Is Was he literally one of the crew we see on the telly? (Eg on a pit stop) :p
He’s mum and dad live opposite, I’m more friendly with his brother. You hardly got to see him as he’d constantly be on tour. He’d be in the back of the garage, yes pit crew you would possibly see on TV but not a wheel changer. Touring became too much with a young family starting hence he swapped to the team HQ

Back
Top Bottom