Assange to go!

Caporegime
No it cannot. There is no way either the UK or US governments will give me all the evidence for me to make an informed judgement and i would not expect them too.

You don't need the US government or the UK government for you to go to the information that Assange released and see that it contains the details that @Werewolf says that it does.

You don't know that beyond reasonable doubt, stop kidding yourself.

Yes, I do. And you would if you cared enough to look.

The only realistic solution here is to send him back Australia, let them deal with it and stop wasting tax payers money on a political prisoner from another country.

This is a 100% unrealistic solution. As has been pointed out many times, the UK is bound under our own laws to hold him while the extradition process is completed. That's what this "treating him equally under the law" you said you wanted means.

And you think that is reasonable for breaking bail conditions?

Someone who has demonstrated they are a flight risk cannot reasonably be released on bail. His detention is entirely reasonable. The reason for the length of detention is because Assange keeps appealing against his deportation.

Is it a good use of UK taxpayers money?

No, Assange has wasted a lot of government money through his actions. However, that's the necessary result of his actions. The alternative is that the UK abandon its commitment to its international agreements and the rule of law. But let's not lose sight of Assange's personal responsibility for all this, it is only because he chose to flee a fair trial for rape and instead squat in an embassy that this is happening now.

Soldato
The U.K. should have just turned him over to the Aussies and let them sort it out.
As others have said, that would equate to Assange being treated unequally under UK law.

That is what the establishment has told you to believe.
SUs62.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't need the US government or the UK government for you to go to the information that Assange released and see that it contains the details that @Werewolf says that it does.
Then how do you verify that the information you found on the internet is true?
Yes, I do. And you would if you cared enough to look.

That's laughable. all you have done is read what the internet says. You have not looked at any real evidence.

Someone who has demonstrated they are a flight risk cannot reasonably be released on bail. His detention is entirely reasonable. The reason for the length of detention is because Assange keeps appealing against his deportation.

You dodged the question a usual. While a form of detention maybe reasonable (low security prison like others go to) or maybe some sort of house arrest, the way he is detained is not reasonable or cost effective.

No, Assange has wasted a lot of government money through his actions.
He has not wasted any money, the authorities have chosen to do this.

However, that's the necessary result of his actions.

Alleged actions.

The alternative is that the UK abandon its commitment to its international agreements and the rule of law.

All the UK should/need to do is reparative him under common law.

But let's not lose sight of Assange's personal responsibility for all this, it is only because he chose to flee a fair trial for rape and instead squat in an embassy that this is happening now.

Again, let his own country deal with it!!!!!!!!!!

Caporegime
Then how do you verify that the information you found on the internet is true?

You're asking how I can verify that the things that are released on WikiLeaks are released on WikiLeaks? This is laughable. Put the tinfoil down. No-one is disputing that Assange released this information. He's proud of it.

You dodged the question a usual. While a form of detention maybe reasonable (low security prison like others go to) or maybe some sort of house arrest, the way he is detained is not reasonable or cost effective.

How could low security prison be suitable for a proven flight risk? House arrest is even more laughable.

Alleged actions.

There is nothing "alleged" about this. Assange did jump bail. He did spend years hiding in the Ecuadorean embassy in order to avoid the extradition process begun by Sweden.

All the UK should/need to do is reparative him under common law.

This is something you have made up in your head; it is not reflective of legal reality.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're asking how I can verify that the things that are released on WikiLeaks are released on WikiLeaks?

No, no one mentioned wikileaks. you are back peddling now. Lets see the evidence of the allegations made by those wanting him sent to the USA.
No-one is disputing that Assange released this information.

I agree, but what is in dispute (if take the time to read what said in the earlier post) is the the evidence that this information that had no "public interest" and actively put a lot of innocent people's lives at risk.

How could low security prison be suitable for a proven flight risk?

You know what a prison is right??? He can be held at a lower security level and at less cost but there should be no cost to taxpayers which you seem to ignore.
There is nothing "alleged" about this.

What the US is alleging. No-one is disputing he jumped bail.

This is something you have made up in your head; it is not reflective of legal reality.

No, it is however reflective of the lawful reality, maybe go learn the difference between the two.

Caporegime
No, no one mentioned wikileaks. you are back peddling now. Lets see the evidence of the allegations made by those wanting him sent to the USA.

You really do struggle to follow a conversation, huh? Actually, even what the US was to extradite him for is not in dispute but you jumped in two footed claiming that he hadn't released private information that put people at risk. This is trivially verifiable - pop over to WikiLeaks and see what he did.

I agree, but what is in dispute (if take the time to read what said in the earlier post) is the the evidence that this information that had no "public interest" and actively put a lot of innocent people's lives at risk.

What public interest do you think there was in releasing the name and address of a homosexual Saudi man?

What the US is alleging. No-one is disputing he jumped bail.

Which wasn't what we were talking about. It is Assange's actions that have caused him to be in jail. He is in jail because he skipped bail. Had he not skipped bail he would not be in jail. The costs accrued because he skipped bail are the result of his actions.

No, it is however reflective of the lawful reality, maybe go learn the difference between the two.

I have literally no idea what you're trying to say here? First you say that Assange should be subject to the same law as everyone else, now you seem to want the UK to ignore the rule of law invent new rules for Assange and send him off to Australia. Which is it? Follow UK law and international treaty, and continue processing the extradition request for Assange; or ignore all that and send him to Australia?

Soldato
I've took on board the replies to my last post.

I think if I found a file that made me so disgusted the killing of innocent men, women and children, the least of my thoughts would be to the people that are part of it.

My position is the UK should extradite him back to Australia. It shouldn't be a British decision of what to do with someone elses citizen. I think it's a dangerous precedent.

Soldato
Actually, even what the US was to extradite him for is not in dispute

Yes it is, lets see their evidence.

What public interest do you think there was in releasing the name and address of a homosexual Saudi man?

Again, your losing the plot. Go back through the thread to see werewolf's response that stated there is no public interest in what Assange released, which I disagree with and he said it put a lot of innocent lives at risk, which again is very questionable.

Which wasn't what we were talking about. It is Assange's actions that have caused him to be in jail. He is in jail because he skipped bail. Had he not skipped bail he would not be in jail. The costs accrued because he skipped bail are the result of his actions.

While I agree that his action of jumping bail should not go without consequences, the real issue here is that is being used as an excuse to do the US governments bidding, not what is the best interest in the UK etc.

Do you really think that every person in the UK who jumps bail (so called potential flight risk or not) should be locked in solitary, in a UK MAX security at great cost to UK taxpayers?

I have literally no idea what you're trying to say here?

There is a difference in what is lawful and what is legal.

Here, I'll help you, hopefully you'll understand.

Soldato
I've took on board the replies to my last post.

I think if I found a file that made me so disgusted the killing of innocent men, women and children, the least of my thoughts would be to the people that are part of it.

My position is the UK should extradite him back to Australia. It shouldn't be a British decision of what to do with someone elses citizen. I think it's a dangerous precedent.

Agree, seems like a lot of people just want to see people locked up at our expense because they either don't understand the evidence or they are just full of hate.

Soldato
Caporegime
Yes it is, lets see their evidence.

Are you claiming that Assange did not leak the files? If not, then no, what the US are extraditing Assange for is not in dispute.

Again, your losing the plot. Go back through the thread to see werewolf's response that stated there is no public interest in what Assange released, which I disagree with and he said it put a lot of innocent lives at risk, which again is very questionable.

Dodging the question, huh? Do you think it is in the public interest to reveal the name and address of a homosexual Saudi man?

Do you really think that every person in the UK who jumps bail (so called potential flight risk or not) should be locked in solitary, in a UK MAX security at great cost to UK taxpayers?

Assange has not been locked in solitary, except for a period during the peak of the Coronavirus pandemic when prisoners were separated to prevent the disease spreading. I think it's the legal necessity that the UK hold Assange in a manner in which his flight is not a risk. That is what they are doing.

There is a difference in what is lawful and what is legal.

If you just answer the question, then you point would be clearer. Do you think the UK should ignore their obligations under international treaty, and override UK law, in order to send Assange to Australia? If so, why don't you think they should treat Assange as equal under the law to everyone else?

Caporegime

But the majority of the people who Assange revealed the details of have nothing to do with any of this. Which is the problem with Assange, and WikiLeaks more broadly - they're completely reckless and irresponsible. Reasonable people can disagree about what secrets states are entitled to keep, but few people can agree that there should be none at all. The release of details of abuses by the US and others is a good thing; but that doesn't excuse the reckless release of everything that they can lay their hands on.

The UK cannot "extradite" Assange to Australia, because he is not accused of a crime in Australia, nor can they deport him to Australia without breaking international treaty and UK law. Where he is a citizen of is irrelevant, he is subject to UK law because he is in the UK. The UK has an extradition treaty with the US, and under UK law we are obligated to respect that treaty and process the extradition request under UK law. There is no dangerous precedent here, it's how extradition law usually works and this is a good thing because otherwise people from countries such as Russia which will not extradite their own citizens could carry on with complete impunity against extradition from anywhere in the world.

As discussed upthread there are a number of issues with UK extradition law that personally I'd like to see addressed, but it is the law as it stands.

Assange is not special, he is not entitled to special treatment, he is simply entitled to equal treatment under the law. Which is what he is getting, and what allows this whole thing to keep dragging on through round after round of appeals.

Soldato
Are you claiming that Assange did not leak the files?

Lots of files have been leaked by lots of people over the years. Can you prove that what Assange did put innocent lives at risk and was not in the public interest?

Do you think it is in the public interest to reveal the name and address of a homosexual Saudi man?

No, Is that why Assange is in a UK super-max so the US can extradite him?

I think it's the legal necessity that the UK hold Assange in a manner in which his flight is not a risk. That is what they are doing.

But it is unlawful as the maximum sentence for jumping bail is 12 months. They (the UK Government) are only doing what they are told, not what is right.

Do you think the UK should ignore their obligations under international treaty, and override UK law, in order to send Assange to Australia?

The lawful thing to do is exactly that, send him back to Australia. Plenty of examples of people being sent back to their country of origin.

Caporegime

Well done. So you accept that Assange released details not in the public interest. Good. Not sure why you feel the need to ask me whether I can prove that he did something you yourself accept.

But it is unlawful as the maximum sentence for jumping bail is 12 months. They (the UK Government) are only doing what they are told, not what is right.

What they're doing is following the law. He did serve his term for jumping bail; he's now being held because there are live extradition proceedings against him and because he jumped bail to avoid a fair trial for rape he is a flight risk. Had he not demonstrated that he was a flight risk, he would currently be under release on bail as he was the first time there were extradition proceedings against him. Holding people who are not suitable for bail is the normal procedure in such circumstances.

The lawful thing to do is exactly that, send him back to Australia. Plenty of examples of people being sent back to their country of origin.

Were those people subject to live extradition requests?

Soldato
The UK cannot "extradite" Assange to Australia
The UK has the right to deport him under UK legal precedent. Assange also has the 'Right to Return' under international humanity laws.

Where he is a citizen of is irrelevant

Totally wrong, it both lawfully and morally relevant where he is a citizen of.

Assange is not special

You yourself have proved that he is special and is answerable to the system that seeks to destroy him.

he is not entitled to special treatment

Agreed, deport him back home. But he is getting special treatment under pressure from the US.

he is simply entitled to equal treatment under the law

Agreed, but you have already proved he is not getting this otherwise he would have been released after 12 months for the crime of jumping bail and will not get a fair trial when he gets to the US.

Back
Top Bottom