Asus p5q-e and Q9550

Associate
Yes the EZ-Flash works fine on the P5Q Pro Turbo, I have built 2 new builds with the same board over the last 6 weeks, and the first thing I did was flash the bios on both of them, before even installing the operating system. The newer version which is 0602 will work a lot better with the CPU and is needed to support the CPU.

I did the same thing on my mates PC I built around 2 to 3 year ago now and he has the ASUS P5K-C which is a lot older mobo, and the EZ-Flash works fine on that as well. You can go the AFUDOS root if like, but with the ASUS boards I find there EZ-Flash utility works great. One thing I would say though before using it, is to set the bios to automatic default before doing so.

Man of Honour
Is there a program around that can tell you the NB temps for this board? Used to use Asus PC probe, but that doesnt have the NB temps listed for this board.

Associate
Any chance of you or pasty posting every tweaked setting ?

Im swapping my [email protected] for a q9650 tonight, so will probaly need a whole new set of setttings in my P5Q-E

Will BC2 run faster......I benchmarked the monkey out of it last night.

Associate
Contra heres my settings for 4GHz on my q9650:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU ratio: Auto
FSB Frequency: 445MHz
PCI-E : 100
FSB Strap: Auto
Dram Frequency: 1068MHz
Dram Timing: Auto/ram spec

CPU Voltage: 1.3v
GTL: Auto
CPU PLL: 1.54
FSB Termination: 1.2v
Dram Voltage: 2.2v
NB: 1.26v
SB: 1.0v/auto
PCIE SATA: 1.5v/auto

Leave everythingelse untouched

Associate
Thanks buddy - what cooler do you have? I have a noctua UH12

what are your load temps?

p.s my stock Q9650 VS my [email protected] BC2 FPS went up from avg 65 / 70 to a more reliable 90. At last a quad core game. I will see what I get when i pump this bad boy up. thanks again man

Associate
I have a CoolIT eco with 2 apache fans attached. In Intel burn test, the max temp varys from 59-63*c depending on the weather. But while gaming it doesn't go above 50*c.

ibt4ghz.png

Associate
I just tired some overclocking today for the first time with the following settings which are for 3.6Ghz.

Ai Overclocker Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB Frequency: 424
PCIE Frequency: 105

CPU Voltage: 1.3
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30
Dram Voltage: 2.1
NB Voltage: 1.3
Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Everything else was set to Auto.

After booting back into windows everything seemed to be running fine and I took some snapshots of the settings with CPUZ and Core Temp which are as follows:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I then set about running Prime 95 and let it run for 1 hour 51 minutes to which it had completed 75 tests with 0 errors and 0 warnings.

Everything seemed to be running ok till I closed Prime95 by the window box, and as soon as I did this my PC just rebooted itself. After it booted back up ok I restarted it again just to make sure, and everything still be ok until I then opened up windows media player to listen to some music. The audio was choppy it was never right in a million years. So I went back onto the bios and put the AI Tweak setting back to how they was, and now everything is fine again.

Now there must obviously be something wrong with these settings somewhere down the line to effect the audio in this way, so I was wondering if anybody had any idea as to what went wrong.

Associate
Intruder the fsb termination voltage seems too high.

Try the following:

FSB Frequency: 424MHz
Dram Frequency: 848MHz

CPU Voltage: 1.25v
CPU PLL: 1.50
Dram Voltage: 2.1v

Nothing else should be touched.

also, what model is your RAM?

Associate
Intruder the fsb termination voltage seems too high.

Try the following:

FSB Frequency: 424MHz
Dram Frequency: 848MHz

CPU Voltage: 1.25v
CPU PLL: 1.50
Dram Voltage: 2.1v

Nothing else should be touched.

also, what model is your RAM?

My Ram is Kingston Hyper X 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR2 1066MHz Dual Chan Kit. KHX8500D2K2/4G.

I have noticed a couple of the settings you have there have 2 entries in them such as Dram Timing: Auto/ram spec and PCIE SATA: 1.5v/auto not sure if they can be typed like that in the AI Tweaker or are you referring that I can just set them on Auto if I like.

Associate
Yeah, what I mean is that you can just set them to auto. You do this by pressing the "-" key on the number pad until it reaches the lowest value when it will change to auto

Also your RAM is the same model as mine with means you need to set the voltage to at least 2.2v

Associate
Yeah, what I mean is that you can just set them to auto. You do this by pressing the "-" key on the number pad until it reaches the lowest value when it will change to auto

Also your RAM is the same model as mine with means you need to set the voltage to at least 2.2v

Thanks very much for them settings just tried them out and so far all is running fine. I could not set the Dram Frequency to 848Mhz nearest was 849Mhz. I also got that program you are using IntelBurn Test version 2.4. Had a quick read of the instructions of how to operate it, and done a quick test on Standard set at 5 times. The results said everything was stable and said something about providing the memory was set right or something along them lines. Cannot see anything there really to make an adjustment for the memory which being as I have 4 gig should be 4096.

I noticed you give it a maximum test set on 10 times, would you advice I do the same. Least with IntelBurn my PC never re-booted like it did with that Prime95 to which I find that particular program rather confusing to be honest and takes a great deal of time.

Soldato
just waiting for my new mobo to try to clock my 9550 up. Current MOBO is a stock one and really ****, can't get it past 3.1 due to crap RAM and general MOBO ****tyness :p

Subbed this thread for future reference.

BTW are C1 revision 9550's really crap at OCing?

Associate
Well I'm giving up overclocking as a bad joke I thought everything was fine till I re-booted my PC and it would not boot I had to reset the bios via the jumper pin, a right pain in the neck. I will stick with normal settings least I know my PC's stable and reliable and that matters more than any overclocking in the world can do any justice to it.

Man of Honour
Well I'm giving up overclocking as a bad joke I thought everything was fine till I re-booted my PC and it would not boot I had to reset the bios via the jumper pin, a right pain in the neck. I will stick with normal settings least I know my PC's stable and reliable and that matters more than any overclocking in the world can do any justice to it.

You have to be doing something wrong if you can't even get stable at 3.6Ghz. It's a good board and should get your Q9550 way past that. Are you sure that you have PC2-8500 ram because going by your cpu-z screenie it's only PC2-6400 which would explain your overclocking problem?

Here are my settings for 3.8Ghz, 4Ghz and 4.13Ghz. 3.6Ghz on my rig was acheiveable with everything at stock voltages.

3.8Ghz

8.5x448 (3800mhz)
Vcore - 1.2500v
CPU GTL Ref - Auto
CPU PLL - 1.50v
FSB Termination voltage - 1.20v
NB Voltage - 1.20v
SB voltage 1.10v
PCI-e Sata voltage 1.50v (mimimum)

4Ghz

8.5x471 (4000mhz)
Vcore - 1.28750
CPU PLL - 1.56v
FSB termination voltage - 1.26v
NB voltage - 1.26v
SB voltage - 1.10v
PCI-e sata voltage 1.50v

4.13Ghz

8.5x486 (4130mhz)
Vcore - 1.325v
CPU PLL - 1.58v
FSB termination voltage - 1.28v
NB voltage - 1.30v
SB voltage - 1.10v
PCI-e sata voltage 1.50v.

You will probably have to make a tweak here and there but they have been good for other people. I do not leave any voltages on Auto as Asus boards have a tendency to overvolt things.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes looking at the CPUZ your quite right pastymuncher, and I have just emailed Kingston regarding this because I purchased PC2-8500 Modules and here's the evidence in the picture.

And yet CPUZ is reading out at PC2-6400.

Now if the wrong memory modules were packed in the wrong packaging then I have been ripped off, and will certainly be wanting them replaced. Or it could be the case that they read like this because the system automatically divides the modules like this to run in normal mode. I mean if I was to go in the tweak and set them to read at 1066Mgz I am pretty sure this would overclock the system to hell. But I must say it's funny how CPUZ reads them out as PC2-6400. The only real way is to take out the memory I suppose and check that it says PC2-8500 on them, and even if it does, could it be a case of the wrong sticker being placed on them.

Man of Honour
Your's looks very much like my Kingston hyperX PC2-6400 kit in my second pc apart from the part number. Whip one of your sticks out and have a look on the heatspreader to see what it says. Even that may be wrong though and the wrong sticker may have been supplied.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom