Awesome RGB LED Case Mod Tutorial - Cheap!!

Associate
Thats my plan! Got 2 sets on the way. :D

Out of interest, where did you buy additional power connectors? Can't seem to find them like that on there own.

You can pick them up on eBay, or from websites that sell modding supplies. The plastic molex connector is female, but the pins inside are male; you'll see people listing them as both male and female but I'd call them female myself.

Anyway you'll want something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221367986907

You can obviously find other colours if you don't want black :)

For PsychoShaft's controller we just butchered a spare fan adapter.

Associate
So I did it. Was actually quite enjoyable making something for the PC. For how much it cost, the colours and functionality is honestly up and above anything I expected.

As per the above instructions - I took off the built in 12v and grond and replaced with a molex.

For anyone looking to do this, be aware that the YELLOW cable on the molex is the 12v so to keep it red and black you will need to swap the pin around on the connector. Worth mentioning if you're following the instructions directly from the pictures.

I did the same thing as per opening post, used a little insulation tape to cover below the solder points. (Mostly because I worried I would melt stuff)

IMG_0368.jpg

Tested and made sure it worked and success it did. I initially installed in the case and was a little disappointed as each LED could be made out due to their spacing. So out it came again and decided to double up the strip.

Measured out and soldered together:

IMG_0374.jpg

Attached them to plastic backing inline, and added a little tape over the joins as the tape that comes with them is properly pants:

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Installed in the PC using some double sided tabs. (Side off so very visible)
IMG_0377.jpg
<-- click to view in Photobucket. Not sure if I can inline videos here? If I am not allowed please let me know.

And im done.

IMG_0383.jpg
[/IMG]

All in all, a worthwile afternoon for around £15. And I still got the rest for other projects (Looking to give my monitors some green back lighting now to complement all my Razar gear).

Next step now, will be to look into creating some sort of diffusing to break up the LED beams so they're less obvious.

I have created a video to show everyone just how much functionality this bit of gear has - it truly is fantastic.

Associate
You can pick them up on eBay, or from websites that sell modding supplies. The plastic molex connector is female, but the pins inside are male; you'll see people listing them as both male and female but I'd call them female myself.

Anyway you'll want something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221367986907

You can obviously find other colours if you don't want black :)

For PsychoShaft's controller we just butchered a spare fan adapter.

How about the LED driver? I can only seem to find additional plug based style ones. I want to buy just the LED Controller. Love how small the one in this kit is and how much functionality it has.

Associate
How about the LED driver? I can only seem to find additional plug based style ones. I want to buy just the LED Controller. Love how small the one in this kit is and how much functionality it has.

This is the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121116605...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I think it worked out around £2.50 delivered, very good value if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for delivery. Otherwise you can find them from UK sellers but they'll cost you a bit more.

EDIT: Good job with the mod btw :)

Associate
How many amps can a 12v molex connector output supply? I ask as I have some of these in my case and also a strip under my desk, behind my monitor, and behind my speakers. Just wondering if i could power all of it on the molex in my pc or would it be too much, I believe it is something like 3A and 60w ish

Soldato
How many amps can a 12v molex connector output supply? Just wondering if i could power all of it on the molex in my pc or would it be too much, I believe it is something like 3A and 60w ish

It's rated at around 5 Amps, for which you'd need to use at least 20AWG (0.5mm) cable, although I'd go at least to 18AWG or 16AWG (1.0mm+) to be on the safe side. So 60W for 12v and 25W for 5v.

Associate
OP
look good Juggern! please remember to like this post :) i am glad a few people are willing to try out my mod, its so simple and affordable.. the controller has lots of awesome settings! i cant recommend it enough!!!

Associate
So heres my attempt:

First, the mod:
A4WQCQU5e7MjwXfxolG7KfKNG_YDXh5TI8e_6BpEmFg.jpg

And the result:
-HjPYkPn2jTHWv0mBlmKIP3_lId92Xa3xObvj5LUohM.jpg

HTx7dfDEIBsiowbuEvmZ6xi9KWnwFC113DQk6pN2BhU.jpg

Bmnswkjkf6IZTkkwspIPq71BhML3frLRGXw2LbmVXCA.jpg

vBQHJ_hSsj9GfZ2DpAlM3vh1D_0IONweX4goNblm2ME.jpg

An absolutely outstanding and affordable way to make your computer look awesome. I recommend it to anyone with the basic of soldering skills.

Associate
I saw KitGuru posted it on facebook too :)

I had no lights in mine for a while either, it did have CCFLs originally but after the last strip and clean I couldn't be bothered messing around with the extra wiring so they didn't go back in. The LED strips are a lot neater.

Soldato
By the way, you can also get black pcb versions, so they will blend in with black cases.

AoYY41L.jpg

If the cheaper 30 led per meter versions make the individual leds stick out too much, for a little extra you can get 60 leds per meter. I think youd still need to diffuse it a bit if you want it completely smooth. Maybe get the waterproof version and abrade the gel coating... I'm sure there will be a way.

Back
Top Bottom