Awesome RGB LED Case Mod Tutorial - Cheap!!

Associate
aww man, you beat me to it, good job, I was gonna do a guide for one of these, I've already done two of these mods, although I got the box type controller which is bigger :/, instead of soldering straight to the controller I soldered a dc jack connector to a molex plug, this way I can easily switch the controller out, plus it was easier cause I have a crap soldering iron

Soldato
Soldato
aww man, you beat me to it, good job, I was gonna do a guide for one of these, I've already done two of these mods, although I got the box type controller which is bigger :/, instead of soldering straight to the controller I soldered a dc jack connector to a molex plug, this way I can easily switch the controller out, plus it was easier cause I have a crap soldering iron

I did exactly the same as you in this respect, have the box connector and the DC plug - the DC plug is soldered to a molex though

Associate
yeah I got the water proof ones which are slightly hotter than non waterproof ones, and they get really hot, so hot the double sided tape couldn't hold them up any more, lets say I had to get creative with cable ties and velcro lol

Mine have started to fall down, going to look at some way of making them stay put.

Associate
I've bought one of these kits and hoping someone can help out - Im not a wizz when it come to electronics, but feel I know the basics, but something is just not working.

I've soldered my 12v molex onto the DC plug end (after cutting off the rubber coating) and when plugged into a 12v DC wall plug, only the blue LEDs light and remote controller does not function.
When I connect it to a molex in my PC, only the red ones light, but the controller does work - though, only on red colours. If I press green or blue, the red LEDS just turn off (as they should) the the other colour LEDs do not light up.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

I made sure to match red to red and black to black when soldering molex onto the plug end.

Associate
The soldering is perfect as far as I can see. I may well be wrong however - I'll see if I can get a picture up.

I have found out that the DV plug I was using wasn't evidently giving enough oomph (or was just dead) - I've got a 12v 500mA DC plug which makes the LEDs operate as it should, so at least they are definitely not faulty.

Soldato
Not really sure about your 12V SELV transformer and in particular whether it is a 12v AC or a 12v DC supply. If it is AC then by the time you rectify the AC to DC it'll be pushing 18V DC which'll likely be too much for the RGB PWM controller.

If the RGB PWM controller has one of the mating half Molexes then that lead would be fine, although it would likely be even easier just to wire direct to your 12v DC supply and use a switch if you want to isolate.

Back
Top Bottom