Awesome RGB LED Case Mod Tutorial - Cheap!!

Associate
I'm also interested in doing this mod. Anyone know which kit to get, I'd like the 300 led rgb with a 44 key remote. They all seem to come with a really big & cumbersome power brick now instead of the nice small controller like the original one?

Associate
I'm also interested in doing this mod. Anyone know which kit to get, I'd like the 300 led rgb with a 44 key remote. They all seem to come with a really big & cumbersome power brick now instead of the nice small controller like the original one?

Just check eBay for them, you'll find a few.

Here's one with a 300 5050 strip with the controller you're after: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181255610...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=181255610330&_rdc=1

And here's a cheaper kit with a 150 LED strip: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181255593...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=181255593638&_rdc=1

Associate
OP

you are not going to need the POWER brick... if you solder to a molex connector the pc will deal with the power... :)

Associate
Here's the picture of the one I added a molex to, rather than removing the DC plug entirely.

2014-08-20000154Copy.jpg

Associate
Mine is all done. Up and running. Looks great. However, every so often the LEDs go out and I have to turn them back on with the remote. Interference? I don't know. Very annoying!

Associate
So after running for half an hour, the lights have stopped completely.

EDIT: Seems like a loose wire in the molex. After a wiggle they're back on. Guess it's fixable.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if you like my PC L.E.D. MOD please rate this post and buy me a coffee Paypal: [email protected], i am planning on doing this mod again in the future and will do a video explaining step by step, for those who found it a little hard to follow my step by step guide.

Cheers Guys

Associate
If I wanted to make use of the remaining 4m of LED strip. Can I just buy another controller and use it somewhere else?

Soldato
Mine is all done. Up and running. Looks great. However, every so often the LEDs go out and I have to turn them back on with the remote. Interference? I don't know. Very annoying!

Did you just shove the 12v bare wire in the hole and tape the 0v bare wire to the barrel? That's not going to be the most reliable connection ever.

As an aside I found that using my TV remote would switch my LEDs into one of the flashing sequences. I had to tuck the IR receiver out of the way in the end.

Associate
Did you just shove the 12v bare wire in the hole and tape the 0v bare wire to the barrel? That's not going to be the most reliable connection ever.

As an aside I found that using my TV remote would switch my LEDs into one of the flashing sequences. I had to tuck the IR receiver out of the way in the end.

No I did a solder connection but it wasn't holding properly. I cannot solder for my life. I have now used a small 5A strip connector for the wires and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom