Baldur's Gate 3

Associate
2 handed vs 1 handed.

The chance the ensnare is good as the enemy is essentially immobile for a turn which is worth more than 4 extra damage.
That's er, not quite right. The 2 handed vs 1 handed is moot on a quartersaff as it's versatile, it's just showing one or the other. I imagine it's more to do with thematics than anything else really that impacts on price. You can after all, spend THOUSANDS on useless in game items if you try to buy from that tiefling kid Mattis. So in this case, it's just more valuable because it is in game world by virtue of simply being so.

With regards to the ensare effect, I would agree that it's good, especially since it drops early in Act 1. Unlike the other staff that pops up later on. But both are on hit effects, ensare or 1d4 extra sonic/thunder damage. So it depends on what you're after for their individual values to increase/lower to the player.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So think of creating a character soon. Gale actually seems to fit well with what I was going for as I wanted a wizard/mage type that would fight from range with fire and electric.

Should I be just using him or better of making a custom hero?

Worth tinkering with Gale's stats if I just pick him?

Apparently most players create brand new custom characters, but I wonder why as custom characters have zero back story and personal quest to see, but companions do, so if you're playing on your own, you're only able to witness 3 companions stories over 4, and if you're doing it coop it's even worse, just 2 companions

Associate
So think of creating a character soon. Gale actually seems to fit well with what I was going for as I wanted a wizard/mage type that would fight from range with fire and electric.

Should I be just using him or better of making a custom hero?

Worth tinkering with Gale's stats if I just pick him?
Consider Necromancer Gale? I hear Necro's are good in BG3. Or consider it.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Apparently most players create brand new custom characters, but I wonder why as custom characters have zero back story and personal quest to see, but companions do, so if you're playing on your own, you're only able to witness 3 companions stories over 4, and if you're doing it coop it's even worse, just 2 companions
I think it's largely because players see "Tav" as themselves (or their idealised DnD selves) where every decision and revelation is provided by the player towards the game world, whilst any of the main Origin characters are already established which may be at odds with what the player sees as part of their Tav's past instead.

"Tav" here is the default name for the main character for any new players who are about to join.

Soldato

The problem with playing as an origin story character is that almost all the flavour is deleted when the player controls it.

All the acted content is replaced by you pressing text lines on a screen, the characters motivations and ambitions are now whatever you say they are.

The only exception is the Dark Urge which can only be player controlled and has a backstory to suit.

Also companions typically have little story when not on their specific storylines and all of them match your level so by rotating them in and out you can see everyones story developing.

Associate
So just a preference thing? What did you guys do?

I played a Warlock intially, and I didn't pick Wyll, as anything there was not remotely going to be close to my characters history. So I custom Tav'd it. Also as said above, you don't often hear your characters voice acted out as it's different when you choose it over hearing a fully acted out reaction to a situation/what you did.

Any tips when making a new character?

Unless if you are playing Honour Mode, it's basically make the character look most like what you want. And the build can come later, because you can respec them along the way. So if you find out, hey, I don't actually fit or want to be a Wizard, but a Warlock, or Sorceror, then you can swap to that (needs 100 gold pieces though).

Soldato
So just a preference thing? What did you guys do?

Not sure I fancy necro, but will look into it.

Any tips when making a new character?

Problem with Necros is that you need corpses to utlilise the class, so you have to keep hauling them around with you....plus, and I guess this is no suprise, having an army of undead tends to make NPC's run away.
That, and the gear that makes the class viable doesn't really appear until Act3.

They may have changed it recently, but when I looked into it the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so to speak.

Soldato
Can you eat food for hp?

I've picked up all this dwarf meat, but there's no option to 'consume' it?

There is an option to consume rotten food, but that poisons me. Can you eat the non-rotten food? The roasted dwarf ribs actually look pretty good...

Can you eat food for hp?

There is an option to consume rotten food, but that poisons me. Can you eat the non-rotten food? The roasted dwarf ribs actually look pretty good...

No idea about dwarf meat, but you can eat apples etc. Perhaps dwarf meat is for a quest

Last edited:
Associate
Can you eat food for hp?

Dunno if it's just me, but spoiler tags appear to be broken....

Spoiler free, it only works with specific origin characters. So if you can't eat it, just bin it.

Last edited:
Associate
I mentioned this in the Daily Deals thread - Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition is on sale on steam for £3.35. I know it's not the same as BG3, but I thought it might interest some of you and you may not have looked in the deals thread. Unfortunately BG1/2 are not on sale.

Last edited:
Soldato
Little confused...

I sat in the Zaith'isk device and it broke.

My journal shows the 'Find the Githyanki Crèche' quest line as complete. (We attempted to remove our parasites using the Githyanki purification device, but it failed and almost killed us. Our parasites must be very unusual)

However the quest still exists in my journal and map 'Search the Githyanki Crèche' for the Zaith'isk. It says I should seek it and cleanse the infection'

But it's broken now...

Not sure if this is a bug or not.

Little confused...

I sat in the Zaith'isk device and it broke.

My journal shows the 'Find the Githyanki Crèche' quest line as complete. (We attempted to remove our parasites using the Githyanki purification device, but it failed and almost killed us. Our parasites must be very unusual)

However the quest still exists in my journal and map 'Search the Githyanki Crèche' for the Zaith'isk. It says I should seek it and cleanse the infection'

But it's broken now...

Not sure if this is a bug or not.
You're not done yet is my feeling, especially if you've only just done what you said. Progress a bit more with where this takes you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom