Baldur's Gate 3

Associate
Then in that case, the 10's you were seeing, could they have been from the "Reliable Talent" ability from Level 11 Rogue? Which is the minimum roll you can be given during a roll; so you can't roll a 1, but could have been getting a lot of 1-10 rolls during that streak you mentioned.
You Sir, are a genius. As you were, nothing to see here!

I admit I'd not expected that ability to affect the actual "natural" die roll, but it makes perfect sense now.

Last edited:
Soldato
First playthrough, still trying to figure it out. I really like Astarion, but in combat, after his first sneak attack, he feels a bit weak with normal arrow shots (although the vampire bite is cool at closer range).

At first I was the default (trickster?) now Thief. I was going to change to Assassin for more damage but a lot of online guides say Assassin in weak? Is it? I thought it would do better at combat?

I just want more damage, I'll get more into the complexities of the games on my second playthrough.

Unless playing on whatever the hardest difficulty I don't think it's an issue. And even then, I'm really not sure this is the kind of game you need to worry about min/maxing on.

Last edited:
Associate
We are now on one setting up from balanced and it is definitely a lot harder, having to coat weapons with the potions etc rather than collecting a lot of stuff for rainy days, also having to think about camp supplies as its now 80 to sleep, rather than 40...

We are now on one setting up from balanced and it is definitely a lot harder, having to coat weapons with the potions etc rather than collecting a lot of stuff for rainy days, also having to think about camp supplies as its now 80 to sleep, rather than 40...
I found the camp supplies bit rather boring. You just need to loot regularly, and after a while that becomes a job that achieves nothing new. Just loot loot loot to ensure you have camp supplies. I wish by act 3 this mechanic was put to bed.

Associate
Can't put this down at the moment, just cleared the goblin camp, must now head back to the druid grove after rescueing halsin, can't imagine siding with the goblins in a future playthrough, i dont think i could justify it.

Soldato
Can't put this down at the moment, just cleared the goblin camp, must now head back to the druid grove after rescueing halsin, can't imagine siding with the goblins in a future playthrough, i dont think i could justify it.
While I didn't want side with the goblins I definitely did want to find a way to kill all those red, horned demon thieflings that were pretending to be nice while stealing my stuff. The red skin, tails and demon horns were a deal breaker. Kill them all!

Associate
Unless playing on whatever the hardest difficulty I don't think it's an issue. And even then, I'm really not sure this is the kind of game you need to worry about min/maxing on.
I haven't picked up BG3 yet (I'm cheap and willing to wait as long as it takes for sales..), but this comment go me intrigued on how to approach playing the game.
Is it correct to say that BG3 is first and foremost an RPG where I could 'yolo' through the story based on how I want to behave in-game, or is it possible to have a lesser game experience by making bad choices? I've been disappointed in other games in the past to find important story options being locked out because of earlier uninformed choices I've made. Or is this a key part of replayability of the game?

Last edited:
I haven't picked up BG3 yet (I'm cheap and willing to wait as long as it takes for sales..), but this comment go me intrigued on how to approach playing the game.
Is it correct to say that BG3 is first and foremost an RPG where I could 'yolo' through the story based on how I want to behave in-game, or is it possible to have a lesser game experience by making bad choices? I've been disappointed in other games in the past to find important story options being locked out because of earlier uninformed choices I've made. Or is this a key part of replayability of the game?

Every choice good or bad leads to an outcome, it's just whether you preferred the alternative or not, but even then you can't know what the alternative truly was unless you reply. Sometimes you can realise you've stopped a story by killing a random character, but generally I didn't find I was feeling like it was a lesser game by making one choice over another. As you put it, it's a key part of the replay ability of the game

Soldato
As above, however I should add that in games like this I rarely replay them, the choices I made are my story, that's it. I don't want to trudge through just to select different lines of dialogue and options to see what would have happened.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As above, however I should add that in games like this I rarely replay them, the choices I made are my story, that's it. I don't want to trudge through just to select different lines of dialogue and options to see what would have happened.

I don't mind that if the game and story is very good. But when it is an ok story like Starfield, it is a case of who cares about the other outcomes.

I remember absolutely loving the story of Mass Effect and being engrossed in the story. Starfield one does not come close to it.

Associate
I would normally agree with this, i hardly ever replay games - however in this instance I feel like the story line has been different enough, with new cutscenes and new missions, completely new dialogue.. The main story is what it is to a degree, but the amount of choice you have is quite impressive.

We are about 20 hours into 2nd play through now, we wont, but I could even see a 3rd play through for some people would make sense.. What it has done is make me question only playing DoS once was the right idea or whether we should go back and replay that as evil.

Associate
i can highly recommend selecting 'The Dark Urge' on the character creation screen, its sort of a sudo premade character that you can still customise quite a lot on, however it is adding a new arch/cutscenes etc...

Soldato

BG3 unlike other games where dialog choices have no real game changing impact, because the story carrys on in a linear fashion regardless of your choices. If you get it "wrong" you are usually put back to the last checkpoint, or indeed you only have the illusion of choice. In BG3 your choices and actions (or inaction) in the actual game (and not just dialogue) no matter how subtle, have significant impact on how the story and sub plots play out.

I have now had two play throughs and my story was very different despite me not making and deliberately obvious "different" choices. Just winning or losing certain fights can drastically change the overall story experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
in BG3 ilike other games where dialog choices have no real game changing impact because in pretty much every other game, the story carrys on in a linear fashion regardless of your choices. If you get it "wrong" you are usually put back to the last checkpoint, or indeed you only have the illusion of choice. In BG3 your choices and actions (or inaction) in the actual game (and not just dialogue) no matter how subtle, have significant impact on how the story and sub plots play out.

I have now had two play throughs and my story was very different despite me not making and deliberately obvious "different" choices. Just winning or losing certain fights can drastically change the overall story experience.

BG3 wasn't my first CRPG, BGII actually was and it remains my favourite :)

Soldato
I don't normally bother with pricey collector's editions of games but given the hype and acclaim surrounding it, plus the fact that there's no 'standard' physical retail version, I've decided to pre-order the Deluxe Physical version of Baldur's Gate 3 :cool:

Anyone else pre-ordered it (or received their copy)? Says Q2 2024 for recent orders so I could be waiting a while unfortunately....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom